Brewer Fanatic

Wilkins called up, Davies to CS [Latest: Boras displeased about Davies' demotion, post 20]

patrickgpe

It's the correct move for the Brewers, but Davis doesn't deserve a $24K pay cut given how he's pitched. The 10 days service time will likely not matter much, unless he has a problem with salad tongs this week.

I agree with giving him a bit more of a raise for next year to make up for this, although since he is 2 years away from arby, a bump of $12k + standard raise is in order.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It does suck, and it's something that shouldn't be done routinely. But the Middlebrooks situation was an extenuating circumstance in this case, and it made more sense to demote Davies rather than a pitcher who could be used in a game.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

May have been necessary, but I feel for Davies. Guess you gotta get introduced to the business side at some point. Never thought I'd say this, but Boras isn't necessarily wrong.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I have to be honest, I'd be kind of ticked off if I was Davies. I know it's business. We all get it. But it just kind of stinks for him. He's done nothing to deserve what happened - and as noted - it costs him 24K.

Seriously, was having Andy Wilkens on the bench that critical for the next week or so?

Perhaps Davies is 'whatever' about the whole situation. But then again, maybe he'll never forget.

In the end, it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

I guess why does it matter? Maybe I'm missing the point but he will be back up in 10 days. Ina not like they pulled this move with a bonified player.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

They don't even need to give him a raise. Sorry bud this is how the game works. Sucks for him, but that is the reality of things. They didn't need him and could swap him out for something they could use. Boras should be mad about the system if anything.

How is Davies not a bona fide player?

Someone who is just barely over 100 innings pitched in their MLB career doesn't quite qualify to me as a player who is definitely here for the long haul. We've see good things but it's far from etched in stone. It's not like they pulled this move with let's say, Jimmy Nelson.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

They don't even need to give him a raise. Sorry bud this is how the game works. Sucks for him, but that is the reality of things. They didn't need him and could swap him out for something they could use. Boras should be mad about the system if anything.

I think the point of contention is that while this is technically allowable, it is not at all a common practice and is a very gray area from an ethical standpoint. It was absolutely not deserved from a performance perspective and I really, really hope they made assurances to Davies to make him whole financially. I have no problem with Stearns exploiting things like this, but not if it leads to a bad perception by the players. The fact that Boras is sounding off makes me think that this there weren't any assurances made to Davies, which would be disappointing. Davies deserves better based on his performance.

Gruber Lawffices

Verified Member

I think the point of contention is that while this is technically allowable, it is not at all a common practice and is a very gray area from an ethical standpoint. It was absolutely not deserved from a performance perspective and I really, really hope they made assurances to Davies to make him whole financially. I have no problem with Stearns exploiting things like this, but not if it leads to a bad perception by the players. The fact that Boras is sounding off makes me think that this there weren't any assurances made to Davies, which would be disappointing. Davies deserves better based on his performance.

I think it's ethical, it just seems from a practical perspective like it's worth more than $24,000 to the organization not to potentially alienate Davies.

Yeah, it's a reminder that you're managing human beings and have to worry about things like making sure that they're being treated respectfully, especially guys you want to have for years to come. $24k is still a good chunk of change for a pre-arbitration player. And it's not like Wilkins is an actual player that a) will help them win games this year or b) has a future with the organization.

There's value in treating valuable employees well. I don't think there's any value in winning an extra game this year. I'd say the move is not worth the trouble.

I hope Mr Boras goes ahead and opens his displeasured mouth on every single move like this that is happening this week. I mean really? I've read multiple times in the past of a pitcher being sent down for the AS break, either to pitch a game or for this exact reason. And this occurs the same day Aaron Hill is moved, so shut your fat mouth Boras. One less bat, meaning Perez or Elmore at 3b means there is a need for another bench bat. What the team didn't need was a SP to sit on the bench, go home for AS break come back and sit on bench for 4-5games. There are multiple cases of this that have happened and or will happen. He began the season I suppose at 34days service time. His 1st start was game #12, 13days in to the season. So I dunno, Is Boras' displeasure because 12+10days potentially bring Davies in line to gain an added year of team control(but he'd become a Super 2)

It's so screwy to get upset though honestly, this isn't your Kris Bryant here, but I guess it's been lacking thus far this year Boras' mouth, so he found something to open it over.

Yeah, it's a reminder that you're managing human beings and have to worry about things like making sure that they're being treated respectfully, especially guys you want to have for years to come.

In an era where the blogosphere refers to players as "pieces," it can be easy to forget that.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I hope Mr Boras goes ahead and opens his displeasured mouth on every single move like this that is happening this week. I mean really? I've read multiple times in the past of a pitcher being sent down for the AS break, either to pitch a game or for this exact reason. And this occurs the same day Aaron Hill is moved, so shut your fat mouth Boras. One less bat, meaning Perez or Elmore at 3b means there is a need for another bench bat. What the team didn't need was a SP to sit on the bench, go home for AS break come back and sit on bench for 4-5games. There are multiple cases of this that have happened and or will happen. He began the season I suppose at 34days service time. His 1st start was game #12, 13days in to the season. So I dunno, Is Boras' displeasure because 12+10days potentially bring Davies in line to gain an added year of team control(but he'd become a Super 2)

It's so screwy to get upset though honestly, this isn't your Kris Bryant here, but I guess it's been lacking thus far this year Boras' mouth, so he found something to open it over.

I don't side with Boras in very many instances but I do in this case.

How many other teams have done this with one of their starters over the last 10 years? Has it happened one time?

It's bush league by the Brewers. You pay Cappy 1 mil+ and your concerned about $24,000...yea yea it's about the extra bat not the money...the extra bat is hitting .238 at Colorado Springs, not very good for a hitters ballpark, should of brought up Manny Pina and pulled Wilkins off 40 man...plus they knew they were going to move Hill. They should of brought Wilkins in after trade and left Davies on roster. He can pinch run better than Wilkins anyway.

How many other teams have done this with one of their starters over the last 10 years? Has it happened one time?

It's bush league by the Brewers. You pay Cappy 1 mil+ and your concerned about $24,000...yea yea it's about the extra bat not the money...the extra bat is hitting .238 at Colorado Springs, not very good for a hitters ballpark, should of brought up Manny Pina and pulled Wilkins off 40 man...plus they knew they were going to move Hill. They should of brought Wilkins in after trade and left Davies on roster. He can pinch run better than Wilkins anyway.

It has absolutely nothing to do with money and everything to do with getting an extra bench player and getting Davies a regular start that he would miss on the big league team. And it has happened, often. While not common it's not usual for guys to be sent down around the all star break to keep getting playing time.

The only thing I will give Boras credit for is speaking up for someone who is really a nobody among his clientele. Although he probably had some intern or low level assistant inform him of it happening.

It has absolutely nothing to do with money and everything to do with getting an extra bench player and getting Davies a regular start that he would miss on the big league team. And it has happened, often. While not common it's not usual for guys to be sent down around the all star break to keep getting playing time.

The only thing I will give Boras credit for is speaking up for someone who is really a nobody among his clientele. Although he probably had some intern or low level assistant inform him of it happening.

I thought they said Davies is not going to start for Colorado, he's just going to throw a bullpen.

I thought they said Davies is not going to start for Colorado, he's just going to throw a bullpen.

I assumed he was still going wherever the Brewers go. Is he actually joining the Skysox?

davies has to physically report to the city that the sky sox are playing in within three days of being optioned.

What's interesting to me is that Boras doesn't hesitate to screw over players he represents in order to maximize his firm's revenue. See Jody Reed:

Link

I don't see anything about Boros representing Reed in the article, but maybe I'm missing something.

What's interesting to me is that Boras doesn't hesitate to screw over players he represents in order to maximize his firm's revenue. See Jody Reed:

Link

I remember when this happened. People were dumbfounded that Reed turned down the $7.8M, 3-year deal - which was pretty huge at the time (1994).

The crazy part is that he did it again the following year. If I recall correctly, Milwaukee offered him $1M to resign, which Reed turned down. He ended up not signing until late with SD, and got $450,000 (and that was after bonuses).

He eventually got a $1M in 1996, making his three year salary total $2.2M - so he essentially missed out on $5.6M - again, quite a large amount at the time.

Reed still made over $8M in his career, so no one shed a tear for him. But it was a classic case of a player and his reps totally misreading the market. The crazy part is pretty much everyone saw it as a bad decision (to reject the offer). Even I saw it.

But I digress....

Take Boras out of it. Any agent would be unhappy with this type of move. You think Davies is happy about it and didn't complain to Boras? If it comes to the point where the Brewers would think about extending Davies, players and their agents remember this kind of stuff and it leaves a bad taste. It's one thing if this team were contending and the guy being brought up actually were a prospect and could help, but Wilkins? Please.

Stearns might be a smart guy, but this shows he lacks people skills.

You can bet Boras heard from Davies who is not happy with the move either. My guess is Davies thinks he should be starting Sunday on his regular rest too. Only reason he's not is Brewers are trying to manage his innings.

Archived