Brewer Fanatic

Wilkins called up, Davies to CS [Latest: Boras displeased about Davies' demotion, post 20]

patrickgpe

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

i get dropping him down due to schedule but why not just wait one more day and brought Middlebrooks up for him instead and kept Broxton for OF depth. Especially with Middlebrooks being able to backup 1B, they should really have a true outfielder as a backup.

this move still leaves the brewers with an eight-man bullpen.

it's too bad that the brewers optioned davies so early in spring training. when he was recalled on 17 april, he had already spent 29 days optioned to the minor leagues, which burned his first minor league option. had davies been optioned towards the end of spring training, the brewers might not have optioned him today, because he would've spent less than 20 days in the minor leagues to date in 2016 (which would preserve his option).

Why not skip Anderson's start, pitch Guerra Saturday and let Davies pitch on Sunday on his regular turn?

Wilkins doesn't belong on the 40 man, much less the active roster when there are better AAA options: Wren and Pinto to name 2.

Wilkins' road splits: .170/.267/.376

Wren's road splits: .353/.371/.471

Pinto's road splits: .323/.362/.415

Who says this team isn't tanking intentionally?

We sent one of our best pitchers to AAA? Good lord...

Well he wont pitch until after the AS break so its no big deal.

That said, Wilkins has no value on the roster either since he cant play OF and he plays the same position as our only big power threat.

Why not skip Anderson's start, pitch Guerra Saturday and let Davies pitch on Sunday on his regular turn?

Wilkins doesn't belong on the 40 man, much less the active roster when there are better AAA options: Wren and Pinto to name 2.

I agree, 100%. Pinto needs to replace Maldanado.

i get dropping him down due to schedule but why not just wait one more day and brought Middlebrooks up for him instead and kept Broxton for OF depth. Especially with Middlebrooks being able to backup 1B, they should really have a true outfielder as a backup.

Middlebrooks had a July 1 opt out. I'm sure they didn't want to risk losing him by waiting 4 more days.

this move still leaves the brewers with an eight-man bullpen.

it's too bad that the brewers optioned davies so early in spring training. when he was recalled on 17 april, he had already spent 29 days optioned to the minor leagues, which burned his first minor league option. had davies been optioned towards the end of spring training, the brewers might not have optioned him today, because he would've spent less than 20 days in the minor leagues to date in 2016 (which would preserve his option).

I don't really think it matters anyway since he has two options remaining. If he implodes in a couple of years like Peralta he could still be sent down. Don't really understand why they just didn't send Anderson down after Sunday to bring up Middlebrooks and kept Broxton.

I think they want to get Anderson back on track. He's a control pitcher who had his spot skipped once recently. Skipping it again for what would be a pretty long time between starts probably isn't the best way to get him going again.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Don't the days toward burning an option start on Opening Day? That would be the same time that players start accumulating service time.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Middlebrooks had a July 1 opt out. I'm sure they didn't want to risk losing him by waiting 4 more days.

I'm aware but wasn't he not called up until yesterday (not July 1)? I was traveling a few days so if he was sitting on the bench the last few days I missed it, thought the call up was yesterday. One would think they could have told him he's getting called up the next day and he would have understood and been fine with it. Either way, would rather have a normal OF but in the grand scheme of this season it's really not a big deal for just a few days.

middlebrooks didn't have an opt-out clause, which allows the player to declare free agency. he had an assignment clause, which required the brewers to offer him to all other teams. it's been reported that at least one team expressed interest in acquiring him, and the brewers felt they were better off adding him to the big league roster than getting whatever was offered in return.

in a sign of good faith, when the brewers tender a contract to davies for 2017, they can pad his salary by $24,000. it won't make up for the 10 days of lost service time, but at least it'll make up for the dock in pay.

Does the service time matter once his pension vests? Because in addition to djoctagone's $24k idea, the Brewers could promise him some extra service time if he flamed out within ten days of the pension's vesting, if that's all that's at stake.

Boras is a tool, but I suppose he's doing his job. I'm glad Stearns isn't letting an agent roll him. This is a perfectly sensible move (leaving aside whether they chose the best bench player to bring up) in an era of eight-man bullpens. I like having management that knows how to play the margins to give the team an advantage.

Archived