Brewer Fanatic

High School Baseball 2006

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks nate, I saw that as well today on Perfect Game's message board. Not the greatest of news, but fortunately more and more young pitchers are recovering successfully, if not improving, after undergoing TJ surgery. Tolleson is almost a sure bet to honor his commitment to Baylor.

BA has a draft update up and they mention Colton Willems getting off to a hot start. Through 12 innings, he's struck out 29 batters without allowing a hit. He's a guy I've been following for some months now and I'm hoping he'll be there for the Dodgers at 26 or 31. But if he keeps pitching like this, I doubt he'll last that long.

• 2 weeks later...

Agoura High School has taken over the #1 spot in BA's HS rankings, led by potential first-rounder Jason Stoffel and the potential #1 overall pick for 2007, Robert Stock.

New Orleans Jesuit is just behind Agoura Hills, off to a 16-0 start and led by SS Ryan Adams. Here's a nice picture of Adams from the WWBA tourney courtesy of BA:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images2006/radams450350rb.jpg

Johnson struggling wasn't based off of stats, it was based off word of mouth. He still isn't making the proper adjustments at the plate. His power is awe-inspiring, but he needs to do a better job setting himself up for more success while he's in the batter's box. I think some of the hype may have caught up to him unfortunately, but that's just a guess on my part.

As far as HS hitters go, this guy sounds pretty advanced.

Snider figures to be a big winner on draft day, too. In a draft class light on hitters, Snider's sweet swing, sound approach, athleticism and power potential offer a package that major league organizations will have a hard time passing up in the first two rounds of June's draft.

"You may want to change your focus from Johnson to Snider Gagne... "

I was going to call you a blasphemer but I read the article and the guy who wrote it has the same last name as me. I'll give this kid a shot...

And the fact that BA.com ranked Snider as one of the best pure HS hitters makes me think Logan White would be interested in him. Thanks for bringing him up.

I got a chance to see Oak Creek LHP Anthony Butler pitch today as part of the Perfect Game Wisconsin Spring Scout League in Pewaukee. He tossed three innings today, and I'll have to check the tape again, but I think he struck out the side in both the first and third innings, while K'ing another two in the 2nd. It was a chilly day here in Wisconsin, but one batter did manage to club a double off of Butler in the 3rd (which followed a walk). No damage done though.

He pitched in the 86-90 range, and flashed a pretty good curveball per usual. I like that when he misses he misses down, which is always a good sign. He appeared on PG's Who's Hot list (link above) after turning a few heads at the Perfect Game Indoor Showcase in Cedar Rapids, Iowa a few weeks ago.

I will provide a picture or two later on when I correct a few technical issues with my computer. I also took video of his 3 innings of work, which I took so it could be showed on BaseballWebTV for all to enjoy. I'll be sure to let you know when it's up on their site.

Here's the pic...

Anthony Butler

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/colbyjack/tony_butler3.jpg

Just a reminder, Perfect Game is constantly updating their Who's Hot list. I checked it earlier today, and noticed several updates from over the weekend. Max Sapp is a name I've brought up several times before, and like his opposite coast catching peer Hank Conger, Sapp hasn't wasted any time putting up some gaudy power numbers this spring.

Baseball America has updated their high school team rankings, with Kyle Drabek's The Woodlands team knocking Jason Stoffel's Agoura HS off of the top spot. A nice picture of Kyle Drabek below, courtesy of Baseball America.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images/kdrabek06428309.jpg

PG's Who's Hot list corroborates the stats that NFWB has provided on Cody Johnson. Seems he's found that HR stroke. Colby, do you think Johnson will climb back into the top half of the first come draft time, or do you think he'll be in the bottom half no matter what stats he puts up?

Archived