Brewer Fanatic

2016-07-06 Brewers (Garza) at Nationals (Roark), 3:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-4]

1992casey
Why? If I don't do my job well, I won't have it. Why are these athletes any different?

Is there someone at your workplace with the job description of actively working with the goal of making you perform poorly at your job? Every athlete does.

Also, do you want athletes to compete for your team with the goal of winning? Or do you want them to be only concerned with their own, individual performance because their job depends on it? Limiting salary based on performance is a good way to make sure athletes look out for themselves above team, and I wouldn't blame them one bit for it.

Or how about we go the NFL model where teams can cut players at any point and not pay the rest of their contract? Spring Training holdouts for all!

I get the sentiment, but there are a number of reasons this approach would actually be detrimental.

The NFL operates just fine by doing it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived