Brewer Fanatic

Jung ho kang accused of sexual assault

torts

Way too early to form conclusions on this, but Baldkin is way out of line here. It's way worse to conclude that "chances are he's guilty" when you've stated no reasoning for that logic other than other athletes have committed sex crimes than for someone to lament that he will be looked at as a predator if he were to be completely cleared of any wrongdoing.

Anyways, what's known so far via Hardballtalk:

The police say Kang met a woman in Chicago through Bumble, which is a dating app that pairs users based on location, but the catch is that only women can start the conversation. Kang invited the woman to his hotel room in an upper-scale part of Chicago. The woman claims Kang served her an alcoholic drink, which caused her to black out 15 to 20 minutes later. Kang allegedly sexually assaulted her as she drifted in and out of consciousness.
Gruber Lawffices

From a baseball prospective, this has the potential to be a death nail to the Pirates slimming playoff hopes. Kang has been hitting one dinger in under 16 PA on the season. He is also a huge asset to the Pirate's future at under 30 years old so this could be a tough blow for long term too. I've never been to Korea, but I'm guessing as the top Korean baseball player in the world; Kang is a pretty big deal over there. Also a tough blow for my fantasy team :ohwell

My only comment of the legal proceedings is hopefully there is enough evidence that we can get a just resolution.

its hard to have not already formed an opinion about this situation. Living in Pittsburgh there have been radio shows already saying he's "innocent until proven guilty", which is pretty awful since the rate of actual conviction of sexual assault/rape is extremely low. There are so many various reasons why the victim would not press charges, or drop them before trial, to avoid having to relive the act in-front of a jury, and be made part of public record. So if you are only operating on well if he's found guilty, then screw him, but if he's not, well it was all a misunderstanding I think you need to read the page below. (data pulled below from DOJ website) More to come on the investigation, but its tough to look at this without having some form of an opinion/conclusion.

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/criminal-justice-system

as it relates to the diamond, if Kang is removed from the team, they have options at 3B on the MLB roster. Freese has been hitting well, which would pull him off of 1B platooning with Jaso. If that happens I could see the Pirates force their hand to call up Bell at 1B who is only 23 and just mashing it in AAA.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

i wish this wouldn't get out until the investigation is completed, to avoid posts like above. nobody knows the facts so to say that he is guilty or the victim is a liar is pointless right now. I understand in todays culture this is impossible.

From a baseball prospective, this has the potential to be a death nail to the Pirates slimming playoff hopes. Kang has been hitting one dinger in under 16 PA on the season. He is also a huge asset to the Pirate's future at under 30 years old so this could be a tough blow for long term too. I've never been to Korea, but I'm guessing as the top Korean baseball player in the world; Kang is a pretty big deal over there. Also a tough blow for my fantasy team :ohwell

My only comment of the legal proceedings is hopefully there is enough evidence that we can get a just resolution.

he is on my team too, he has not been good the last 2 weeks (batting .121), which coincides pretty well with said incident.

i wish this wouldn't get out until the investigation is completed, to avoid posts like above. nobody knows the facts so to say that he is guilty or the victim is a liar is pointless right now. I understand in todays culture this is impossible.

+1000. The media is so desperate for ratings/clicks/"the scoop", etc., that they are willing to put anything out there and name names regardless of who it hurts.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I hate news stories like this. And, yes, the folks who talk about a "quick to blame" culture/media are right to an extent. However, whether or not Kang is guilty in this instance, the sheer preponderance of stories like this suggests a cultural problem with all of athletics.

I can't speak from experience about professional locker rooms, but I know that the way fans talk about sports, and the way amateur athletes talk too, suggests that sports are still pretty hostile when it comes to gender equity. There's seems to me to be a lot of misogyny in every professional league, and while baseball is making strides on that front (I'm glad some administrative and broadcasting doors are beginning to open for women), there's a LONG way to go. I really believe that the way athletes, fans, and commentators talk about gender roles (and by that I mean masculinity too) helps create an environment where rape, sexual assault, and even those gray area, mutual bad decision cases (where, nonetheless, it's vital for all involved to respect full, conscious consent) continue. We have to stop talking about sex as if it's a reward for athletic achievement, and, more importantly, we have to stop questioning a player's masculinity (with whatever choice vulgarity we choose) when we want to say he's bad. All of that contributes to what I see as a cultural problem. The good news is, fans can change the culture too. This isn't a "PC police" issue either. It's just being willing to remember that language shapes how we see the world and that the values we promote with our words have a way of becoming real.

I just hate the "no" means "no" criteria for sex abuse/rape.

If someone does not say "yes", then it's a "NO".

Whether it's a stanford swimmer penetrating an unconcious women to every guy or judgemental woman whose said someone was asking for it, if they don't say yes then it's a big unconditional "no". When we stop requiring the victim to prove they said "NO" and require the accused to prove the victim said "yes" then we might make progress in the exploding sexual abuse problem we have in our society. Unfortunately the deck has been stacked against female victims by a failure of our legislatures (historically almost exclusively male) to address the laws to protect the victim.

/end_rant

Whether it's a stanford swimmer penetrating an unconcious women to every guy or judgemental woman whose said someone was asking for it, if they don't say yes then it's a big unconditional "no". When we stop requiring the victim to prove they said "NO" and require the accused to prove the victim said "yes" then we might make progress in the exploding sexual abuse problem we have in our society. Unfortunately the deck has been stacked against female victims by a failure of our legislatures (historically almost exclusively male) to address the laws to protect the victim.

/end_rant

I don't think I have ever agreed with anything you have ever said. Until today. I agree 100% and well said.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

That writer doesn't have any inside info or appear to have even interviewed the victim. He's just doing what you are doing, assuming Kang is guilty because there is an investigation.

I have no idea if he is innocent or guilty, but neither does that guy and neither do you, or for that matter anyone posting here.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Guess it bears mentioning that political posts are not allowed here. Tread lightly in this topic please.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Just to chime in here. As a teacher, I work in a profession where there is no such thing as innocent. If an allegation comes against us, we are guilty. We may be found innocent in the courts, but we lose our jobs and in the public's eyes we are all guilty. I know of teachers whose careers have been ruined by false accusations.

Having said that, I always am eager when my name is called every 24 months for Jury Duty. I've never had to serve, but I really want to do my best one day as a juror--listening to the evidence and the arguments and deciding for myself. I see people rush to judgement in all sorts of these cases, especially dealing with socioeconomic or racial issues, and I can't help but think "if I'm ever falsely accused of something, I hope I get rational, sensible jurors that hear my case." I'm eager to one day do my civic duty. It's not for me to judge Kang's guilt. It may not initially look good, but hopefully a thorough investigation is able to reveal the facts.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I deleted a bunch of posts (including a few of my own) so if things are confusing its on me. Discussion seemed to be getting away from Kang and about other things.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

/end_rant

I don't think I have ever agreed with anything you have ever said. Until today. I agree 100% and well said.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Guess it bears mentioning that political posts are not allowed here. Tread lightly in this topic please.

Thank you. Really weird thread. I'm here for Baseball observations & insights

The Pirates have struggled this year and have started to put things together and this could be a big distraction for them. They cannot afford to lose this player

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Thank you. Really weird thread. I'm here for Baseball observations & insights

The Pirates have struggled this year and have started to put things together and this could be a big distraction for them. They cannot afford to lose this player

as I stated above, I rather disagree that losing Kang would be that big of a loss.

as it relates to the diamond, if Kang is removed from the team, they have options at 3B on the MLB roster. Freese has been hitting well, which would pull him off of 1B platooning with Jaso. If that happens I could see the Pirates force their hand to call up Bell at 1B who is only 23 and just mashing it in AAA.

take Kang out and your infield looks like

1B- Jaso/Freese/Bell

2B - Harrison/Rodriguez/Frazier

SS - Mercer/Rodriguez/Frazier

3B - Freese/Harrison

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Kang hasnt been tearing it up the last 30 games in terms of production anyhow

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

/end_rant

I get what you are trying to say, but i can't recall more than a few times where i had sex with a girl and before it happened, i first asked her if it was ok to have sex and then she replied with a yes. It simply happened with both me and the girls knowing it was fine to happen because they at no point protested and instead were clearly into it.

Can i really be alone in this or do most guys always ask a girl before having sex, is this ok to happen?

Archived