Brewer Fanatic

2016-07-04 Brewers (Guerra) at Nationals (Scherzer), 10:05 AM CDT [Brewers win, 1-0 on Maldy homer; Guerra, Smith, Jeffress combine for 2-hitter]

1992casey

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]July 4 | 10:05 A.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (35-46) | Nationals (50-33)[/h2][h3]MLBN* | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-logos/nationals.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-pitcher-photos/brewers/brewers_guerra-junior-06.jpghttp://forum.brewerfan.net/igt/2016-pitcher-photos/opponents/nationals_scherzer-max-03.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Junior Guerra[/pitcher][h2]5-1, 3.25 ERA, 1.07 WHIP[/h2][h3]Game Log[/h3][h3]Guerra is coming off the Crew’s best start of the year, shutting out the Dodgers over eight innings with seven K’s on Wednesday. Catcher Jonathan Lucroy said after the game that Guerre’s splitter was beginning to show rare cutting action as well.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Max Scherzer[/pitcher][h2]9-5, 3.30 ERA, 0.96 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Scherzer will make his first July 4 start for the Nationals, getting the ball for the annual 11[space][/space]A.M. (10[space][/space]A.M.[space][/space]CT) game. Since joining the Nats, he is 9-5 with a 2.62 ERA in 18 day games.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. SS Jonathan Villar (S)
  2. 2B Scooter Gennett (L)
  3. 1B Jonathan Lucroy ®
  4. LF Ryan Braun ®
  5. 3B Aaron Hill ®
  6. CF Kirk Nieuwenhuis (L)
  7. C Martín Maldonado ®
  8. RF Ramón Flores (L)
  9. RHP Junior Guerra ®

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. CF Ben Revere (L)
  2. LF Jayson Werth ®
  3. RF Bryce Harper (L)
  4. C Wilson Ramos ®
  5. 1B Ryan Zimmerman ®
  6. 3B Anthony Rendon ®
  7. SS Danny Espinosa (S)
  8. 2B Stephen Drew (L)
  9. RHP Max Scherzer ®

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3]* Blacked out in Nationals’ territory[/game-links][/igt-2012]

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

They do this every Independence Day. This is comparable to the Red Sox playing morning games on Patriot's Day. Back in the olden days when the [cite]Milwaukee Journal[/cite] was an afternoon paper, we'd usually see the results of the Patriot's Day game written up on the same day it was played.

Something's wrong with the lineup card that the Brewers turned in. Apparently, Braun and Lucroy were switched. Braun singled and was subsequently called out after a challenge by Dusty Baker.

So Braun made the last out of the first inning and is the first batter in the second. I'll adjust the lineup in the lead.

The final out of the first inning goes to Lucroy rather than Braun. Gameday has the non-at-bat written up as "Jonathan Lucroy grounds out to catcher Wilson Ramos."

Craig Counsel makes me wonder if Dale Sveum would still be interested.

I appreciate Craig's willingness to go against conventional wisdom occasionally but he's falling into Grandpa Ken ho-hum territory with his dugout demeanor. I thought the addition of Pat Murphy might add a little fire to the coaching staff but that hasn't been the case. I don't know how there was no chirping from the dugout after Flores' horrible strike 3 yesterday, especially when it was an important out.

Here are some photos of today's uniforms.

nats-brew0416-1.jpg

nats-brew0416-2.jpg[space][/space][space][/space]nats-brew0416-3.jpg

nats-brew0416-4.jpg[space][/space][space][/space]nats-brew0416-5.jpg

nats-brew0416-6.jpg

nats-brew0416-7.jpg[space][/space][space][/space]nats-brew0416-8.jpg

The general practice for jerseys is that they can't be similar in color. You can't have two teams in blue jerseys or one team in dark blue and the other in black. In this case, one jersey is red and the other is blue, so there isn't a problem.

Dude on the broadcast just said that Hernán Pérez was a waiver pickup from Detroit "just over a month ago." His notes must have said that Hernán came over in 2015 and the guy forgot what year it is.

That's Brewers baseball for you guys. We're such a joke of a franchise. Can't even do something simple like looking at the lineup card right.

I mean, Craig, you wrote the damn thing. At some point shouldn't you go, "Hmm, Braun's up. That doesn't seem right."

I think that's on (bench coach) Pat Murphy, though I don't know if Counsell will throw him under the bus or not.

Counsell has never hit Lucroy and Braun 3rd and 4th this year and didn't question it when Braun came up so I doubt he changed things around today.

Somebody copied it down wrong and mixed it up, I think. Would probably be Murphy.

Either way I agree, it just can't happen.

The broadcasters said that it was probably the bench coach's job. On one hand, it's inexcusable. But in the grand scheme of things, I can't see getting too wound up about it. It'll be interesting to see if we get a post-mortem.

Mistakes happen. It is what it is. It's not the first time it's happened either.

Nice Brewers win today after a very long, long, looooooong games yesterday.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That's Brewers baseball for you guys. We're such a joke of a franchise. Can't even do something simple like looking at the lineup card right.

I mean, Craig, you wrote the damn thing. At some point shouldn't you go, "Hmm, Braun's up. That doesn't seem right."

It's obviously the fault of the poster who posed the question not too long ago with almost this exact scenario happening. He jinxed us.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

For what it's worth, Counsell took the blame completely for the lineup mistake, said he was playing around with different lineups and must have turned the wrong one in.

I don't know how that excuses the bench coach from double checking before it'd turned in, but at least it didn't cost them a win. Hopefully they will both be more careful in the future.

Archived