Brewer Fanatic

Broxton optioned to AAA; Will Middlebrooks' contract purchased

markedman5

At least Broxton won't rot on the bench but I can't think of one damn reason why Middlebrooks is the call up. Horrible in Colorado Springs and not exactly a spring chicken either with a horrible major league track record over 1,000 at bats.

Horrible in Colorado Springs

He had a poor start, but I have trouble calling .282/.308/.508 "terrible" play. Not many walks, but a .220 ISO is pretty decent, even in the PCL.

It also opens up more time for Cecchini to play third for the Sky Sox.

Was actually looking at 2015 at El Paso on Baseball Reference because for some reason they feel they need a break there. Still a bad MLB player that's going to give us a bunch of outs. Whatever, would rather see Cecchini or a DFA of Niewenhuis with Broxton playing everyday and then calling up Middlebrooks.

If it ever gets to the point where I learn to spell Nieuwenhuis, I'm going to want the Brewers to keep him.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I was confused as to why Maldonado was pinch hitting today and then they said the other option was Broxton. That says pretty much all you need to know about him. When Martin Maldonado is better option at the plate than you, you really have no business being on a big league roster.

I'm whatever about Middlebrooks. There's no way they should be taking time away from Carter or Hill so I guess Will is only coming up to pinch hit.

Yes Will has hit better I wonder if they have found a suitor for Hill

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure how much playing time Middlebrooks will get prior to Hill being traded though, if Hill gets traded. Worth giving him a shot though. How has his fielding been in AAA?

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I was really hoping for more from Keon, but then again Jason Rogers hasn't exactly been lights out for Pittsburgh either. They both might be AAAA guys

A lot of "if's" in this article but relates to the topic at hand http://www.outsidepitchmlb.com/what-if-keon-broxton-turns-it-on/49422

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers now with only three true OF's on big league roster - Braun, Nieuwenhuis, Flores.

Infielders Perez and Elmore are your 4th and 5th OF's.

That's awfully disjointed, but we know a ton more roster movement is in store.

Middlebrooks has been on fire for awhile after a dismal start. I'm interested in seeing him get a chance. Cecchini has been playing first so it will be interesting to see if he goes to 3rd.

Broxton looks like a ballplayer. He looks great in his uni. But, let's be fair. He's not a major leaguer right now. He needs to put it together. I'm not giving up on him because you see some tools. You could argue that he's had enough time in the Pirates system but I feel like he could still put it together and be a backup outfielder with range. Nobody is going to argue he's a first division starting center fielder and it would be an upset if that ever happens.

Nieuwenhuis and Flores are not bad extra outfielders. You could do worse. But as starters, not so much. I kind of like them both as backups though.

Middlebrooks' road splits are nothing to get too excited about: .215/.250/.430. His opt out probably was a factor, but I don't see him being in much demand. More likely is there's trade interest in Hill and/or Carter and Middlebrooks will get a couple month look as a fill in.

Wren is far more deserving of a call up.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've never been a fan of Middlebrooks. He parlayed 1/2 season of decent play in 2012 into chances most guys would kill for. He has a modicum of power, but little else. He barely walks, strikes out a lot, and isn't good defensively (at least at 3B).

He has been playing well at AAA after a horrible start, but I just don't see him as ever being valuable.

I wouldn't have a problem with Wren. He profiles as a 4th outfielder. Plays all the positions, hits for average, a little speed, decent defender. Zilch for power - but that doesn't mean he can't be an asset in the coming years.

At least Broxton won't rot on the bench but I can't think of one damn reason why Middlebrooks is the call up. Horrible in Colorado Springs and not exactly a spring chicken either with a horrible major league track record over 1,000 at bats.

The 1000 ab's part can be misleading. If it comes in part time play it makes it harder to do well in. If it was in regular play then it is more telling. Take Maldonado for instance. When he was the every day catcher in 2012 he had a 729 OPS. Not Lucroyesque but respectable for a catcher. When he was the backup and playing sporadically he hit well below that.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The 1000 ab's part can be misleading. If it comes in part time play it makes it harder to do well in. If it was in regular play then it is more telling. Take Maldonado for instance. When he was the every day catcher in 2012 he had a 729 OPS. Not Lucroyesque but respectable for a catcher. When he was the backup and playing sporadically he hit well below that.

But it's not misleading because he's been a starter every time he's been in the majors and the only time he wasn't horrible was when he was a rookie and the books wasn't out yet that he swings at everything.

since May 1st he's hitting .305/.555/.884 with 38Runs 21 doubles, 10 HRs and 45 RBIs. his splits between home/away are bad, but who cares, his overall body of work warrants him to come up and fill a spot for a guy who has had 8 hits, especially with the risk of losing him.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

also, if he's terrible, who cares, don't most of you want to lose to get a better draft pick next summer? doesn't that help the "rebuild"?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Yep, I don't think much of him but Stearns picked him up for a reason so might as well see if any of his recent success can translate at the big league level. I am more of the opinion that the Brewers will trade a bunch off guys including Hill, so there should be plenty of opportunity for Middlebrooks to get at bats after July 31.

Archived