Brewer Fanatic

Brewer Starting Pitchers

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Isn't there even more reason to dump Garza now with Wilkerson also a very viable option? Doesn't Anderson have an option left as well?

The main reason to keep Garza is to hope that he gets better and someone, at some point, wants to trade for him and thus give us some measure of return (some salary relief, a prospect, whatever).

Of course, doing this blocks other players, so there's a trade off going on. And there's no guarantee that Garza will do better. I think it all comes down to the organization's opinion of Garza. If they think he can rebound, they can keep him and hope he nets a return. If they think he's never going to get better, he's sunk cost. They should just cut him now and be done with it. What's the point of paying him to block other guys if you think he's never going to get better.

They've played the waiting game on Hill, Lucroy and others -- I imagine it will continue with Garza as well.

"They've played the waiting game on Hill, Lucroy and others -- I imagine it will continue with Garza as well".

We've endured more than a season of horrific pitching by Garza, who's been arguably the worst starting pitcher in baseball since the start of 2015 that still has a rotation spot. Hill and Lucroy have no worse than serviceable. Even if they hold on to Lucroy until his contract runs out, he's certainly worthy of a qualifying offer which brings back a high pick.

Hoping Garza will get better is simply foolish. Even if he does show some marginal improvement, that's not going to wipe out the past 30 starts, so his value would be minimal at best even in that scenario.

"They've played the waiting game on Hill, Lucroy and others -- I imagine it will continue with Garza as well".

We've endured more than a season of horrific pitching by Garza, who's been arguably the worst starting pitcher in baseball since the start of 2015 that still has a rotation spot. Hill and Lucroy have no worse than serviceable. Even if they hold on to Lucroy until his contract runs out, he's certainly worthy of a qualifying offer which brings back a high pick.

Hoping Garza will get better is simply foolish. Even if he does show some marginal improvement, that's not going to wipe out the past 30 starts, so his value would be minimal at best even in that scenario.

Garza is nowhere near the worst pitcher in baseball over this period. He isn't in the bottom 45 pitchers in WAR and there are 2 different Brewers who have been worse over this time frame. There are at least 10 pitchers who make way more than he does who have been worse in the past 2 years.

This just in: Matt Garza is the same guy he was in 2015. He's simply awful. Since the beginning of 2015, he's logged 174 2/3 innings and allowed 213 hits. The Brewers are 10-20 in games he's started in that period. On what planet does that justify continuing to run him out there every 5th day? Trade value??? Please. I doubt any team would sign him for major league minimum if he's released.

I'd rather see Hiram Burgos take the ball for major league minimum than watch one more inning of Matt Garza. Burgos could not be worse.

Glad you can decide Garza's fate after a grand total of 5 starts. Not to mention he didn't get a whole lot of time after being cleared to pitch in games(11 innings in the minors). I bet you called Aaron Hill washed up garbage after the month of April too.

Jeez give the guy some time. Maybe he is no better than last year, but to come to that conclusion after 5 starts is jumping the gun regardless.

Archived