Brewer Fanatic

Brewer Starting Pitchers

Weird. Today's mlbtraderumors said DS was looking to acquire starting pitching at the deadline.

Maybe, in fact probably, I misread the full intent and context, but those were the words.

Here's what you likely read.

The 35-45 Brewers would rather acquire starting pitching than subtract it at the deadline, general manager David Stearns told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “We always want to add starting pitching; add quality arms. I don’t know I’d term us a seller of pitching,” said Stearns, who went on to state that the Brewers “would have a very high price to trade any young player that has significant control remaining and who we believe can contribute to the organization for a long time.”

In the context of keeping players with significant control, I don't think the comments are a surprise.

Full article (3 July 2016): NL Notes: D-backs, Brewers, Marlins, Nats

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He may be referring to prospects.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Hader at home with the Sky Sox: 12 IP, 12 ER, 13 K, 7 BB, .500 AVG

Away: 11 IP, 2 ER, 17 K, 6 BB, .117 AVG

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Weird. Today's mlbtraderumors said DS was looking to acquire starting pitching at the deadline.

Maybe, in fact probably, I misread the full intent and context, but those were the words.

I'm not sure why anyone even cares what GM's say. 99% of it is lies or PR to cover having a crappy team.

Hader at home with the Sky Sox: 12 IP, 12 ER, 13 K, 7 BB, .500 AVG

Away: 11 IP, 2 ER, 17 K, 6 BB, .117 AVG

We've got to get the heck out of Colorado Springs. I'd argue that it gets in the heads of our pitchers and they're getting psyched out. Lopez, Jungmann, Peralta, it's not helping any of them.

It's awful what Nashville did to us. They had us wait out their new ball park, all the while dissembling their true motives. They got out with us as soon as they got a new ballpark. But sometimes in business, these things happen.

I am not aware of a good solution right now. Fresno, San Antone. I just don't know what we can do, but let's hope Gord Ash (special projects emissary, including this issue) has something up his sleeve to solve this point. Maybe Attanasio can throw money at it. With our low payroll, I'd like to see him make some sound capital investments in the organization, both in terms of player acquisition (taking on or offsetting salary as needed to optimize prospect return on trades, spending on the int'l market, etc) and other expenditures (minor league affiliations, ballparks, improved scouting and player development, better instruction in minors, etc).

I think its also incredible important to point out that literally everyone is still in arbiration years outside of Braun, Garza, Hill and Lucroy (ignoring Cappy, 'natch). This is a heavily controlled team going forward, so anyone being traded is going to be someone with years left before FA. I fully support Stearns getting even more controllable pieces this summer, but its not like we have a plethora of pending FA's to trade off before losing them

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I am sure that's exactly right

It doesn't matter where in your rebuild a team is, if a team stumbles on enough quality on the rotation, you become instant contenders. He found one in Guerra. So GM's are always on the lookout for those guys regardless of the long term plan.

I think its also incredible important to point out that literally everyone is still in arbiration years outside of Braun, Garza, Hill and Lucroy (ignoring Cappy, 'natch). This is a heavily controlled team going forward, so anyone being traded is going to be someone with years left before FA. I fully support Stearns getting even more controllable pieces this summer, but its not like we have a plethora of pending FA's to trade off before losing them

Right. The current starting pitchers, outside of Garza, are cheap and controllable. Unless Stearns gets absolutely blown away by an offer there's no reason to look to deal any of them. You could make a case for Guerra because of age, but he's still cheap and controllable. Garza you deal just to get rid of, Guerra you only deal if you get something really good back.

I am sure that's exactly right

It doesn't matter where in your rebuild a team is, if a team stumbles on enough quality on the rotation, you become instant contenders. He found one in Guerra. So GM's are always on the lookout for those guys regardless of the long term plan.

have there been instances where a team 10 games below .500 at the break stumbled into starting pitching and became a contender? Because I can't think of any.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I would presume he means with improved pitching, next year's team could be much better. A somewhat comparable example would be the Orioles. In 2011, they had a team OPS of .729, an ERA of 4.89, and a 69-93 record. In 2012, their OPS was .728, but with an improved ERA of 3.90, their record went to 93-69.

The Brewers have a .718 OPS and 4.47 ERA and are likely to lose some offense before next year, but with good pitching, you never know.

All that said, I don't think Stearns has any visions of making starting pitching improvements to help the team immediately. I think he just means he wants to add young controllable pitchers that could help in a couple years still.

I think he just means he wants to add young controllable pitchers that could help in a couple years still.

Agreed. In other words...prospects.

I'd think he means anyone that could be another Chase Anderson or Zach Davies.

A Mike Clevinger would be about that kind of trade for. Not highly regarded but ready to be put in rotation full time. #7 prospect for Indians so he's a solid potential as to what Stearns means.

This just in: Matt Garza is the same guy he was in 2015. He's simply awful. Since the beginning of 2015, he's logged 174 2/3 innings and allowed 213 hits. The Brewers are 10-20 in games he's started in that period. On what planet does that justify continuing to run him out there every 5th day? Trade value??? Please. I doubt any team would sign him for major league minimum if he's released.

I'd rather see Hiram Burgos take the ball for major league minimum than watch one more inning of Matt Garza. Burgos could not be worse.

This just in: Matt Garza is the same guy he was in 2015. He's simply awful. Since the beginning of 2015, he's logged 174 2/3 innings and allowed 213 hits. The Brewers are 10-20 in games he's started in that period. On what planet does that justify continuing to run him out there every 5th day? Trade value??? Please. I doubt any team would sign him for major league minimum if he's released.

I'd rather see Hiram Burgos take the ball for major league minimum than watch one more inning of Matt Garza. Burgos could not be worse.

Lots of people want the team to lose.

You know he is at least going to pitch out of the pen before he is outright cut. So until some relief pitchers are traded away, for 40 man roster reasons Garza is going to start. But chances are he gets at least another half dozen starts before any move is made, just too much money to not try otherwise, and there is no one in Colorado resembling someone that can do better. Soon to be 29, it would be nice to give Burgos all of August and September, just to know if it is time to cut ties or not.

I think these exact words ran through my head last night. I don't get the argument that Garza just had one bad year, so we should expect him to bounce back and earn his contract in the rotation. He only had one truly excellent season, at age 27 in 2011. Then for three years he was the definition of a not-especially-durable mid-to-back-of-the-rotation starter. Then he turned 31 and stunk up the joint, which is a fairly old and familiar story. This is not the profile of a guy whom you can reasonably expect to come back and entice contenders at the deadline.

I was thinking about Burgos too. He's taken his lumps better than anyone else at Colorado Springs; for two years he's basically been the picture of unexciting competence. Probably he's not much better than Garza, and I can understand giving Garza a bit more rope, but I think giving Burgos a shot makes more sense.

Then part of me wonders if we should just bring Hader and/or even Lopez to the majors. Obviously Lopez hasn't earned a promotion, but what I care about is developing him, and I wonder whether MLB bats, offset by MLB coaching, could be any worse for his development than pitching on the moon. Yeah, I know -- some guys are tough enough to handle that kind of pitching environment. But most good pitchers never have to try.

I've posted before that young starting pitching isn't all that much of a concern to me because it's such a crap shoot between injuries and guys just not developing. Take a look at the Mets supposedly amazing rotation. Harvey is out for the year, Matz and Syndergaard are both pitching with bone spurs that could pretty much end their season at any moment, and Wheeler has had setbacks in him TJ recovery. de Grom is the only healthy guy left in the rotation and he's one of the 4 that has already had TJ. If Milwaukee can get a great pitching prospect via trade or the draft, great and good luck to him. Otherwise I have no problem with them loading up on offense as long they get well rounded players and don't take the Melvin/Z strategy of getting guys that can hit the ball far and have no defensive ability.

Archived