Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sunday 6/26

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sunday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: RHP Wily Peralta at Round Rock (Rangers), 6:30 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: RHP Jorge Ortega at home vs. Montgomery (Rays), 4:50 PM pre-game, 5:10 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Harris is the play-by-play voice of the Shuckers. Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. Thaddeus Krzus (@Shucks1stIntern) joins Chris often. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them.

Brevard County: RHP Eric Hanhold at Tampa (Yankees), 4:00 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link (Tampa feed)

Unfortunately, the Manatees have dropped their broadcast coverage for 2016.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV. Ten of the 12 Florida State League teams provide audio (some only for home games), we'll do our best to let you know when an opponent's audio is going to be available.

Wisconsin: RHP Devin Williams at home vs. Quad Cities (Astros), 12:45 PM pre-game, 1:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

NOTE: Thirty-nine (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on local TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (10) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (29) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule (scroll to bottom of link) so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

Helena: RHP Thomas Jankins at Great Falls (White Sox), 1:45 PM pre-game, 2:00 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

We welcome and look forward to hearing first-year Voice of the H-Crew Craig Durham ([b@CraigMDurham[/b] on Twitter).

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at home vs. the mini-Rangers, 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: Idle

We'll link to this Dominican Summer League Brewers' thread as part of the Daily Menu all season to assist you with your familiarity with these young men.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sunday's Farmhand Birthdays --

This is the 6th year in a row we have sent shared birthday greetings to RHP's Brooks Hall and Drew Gagnon, as each turns 26 today.

Biloxi's Hall received a solo greeting in 2010, this is his 7th season with the organization. So to Brooks, and Drew in Texas with the Sky Sox, enjoy your day!

If you like hitting, you might want to tune in the Rattlers this afternoon. They have 3 HRs in one inning and balls are flying out of there with a strong wind blowing out.

Edit: They put up a 10-spot in the 2nd inning. Not sure the game is over though the way things are going.

Wisconsin scores ten runs in second to cruise to victory

Timber Rattlers beat Quad Cities 12-2 to take series

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/4/8/4/186374484/cuts/6_26_PlayerOfTheGame_TroyStoke_9m8rfoy1_mms3f8ro.jpg

The Timber Rattlers dugout greets Troy Stokes, Jr. after his three-run homers on Sunday afternoon. (Wisconsin Timber Rattlers/Ann Mollica)

Wisconsin Boxscore

Devin Williams started slow but figured it out after the first and posted a pretty decent line. Drake Owenby continues to be excellent in relief and followed Williams with 3 scoreless innings of his own, though he did walk 2 which draws my ire with a big lead... just throw strikes fellas! ;)

I'm sure all of the homers will be covered by Chris so I'll skip past them and say that it's tough when you're Jake Gatewood and go 4-5 with a double and aren't the player of the game. This was the 2nd 4 hit game of Gatewood's career if I did my research correctly, the last was Aug 15, 2015 playing for Helena after his demotion. There's still a few too many zeroes in his last 10 games but Jake has been a regular offensive contributor since the start of May. As for the other multi hit games Carlos Belonis (2-5,HR), Mitch Ghelfi (2-4,2B,BB), and Troy Stokes (2-3,HR,BB) all posted nice games of their own. Ghelfi now has multi hit games in 6 of his last 7 and is hitting a cool .333 over his last 10 games. Stokes is slowly but surely turning his season around as his AVE is up to .208 after sitting at .159 as recently as 6/14.

Wisconsin Recap

Fairly busy as you would guess by looking at the boxscore.

Postgame Post – June 26, 2016

4 audio interviews, worth your time as always.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Community Moderator
Brevard County's game at Tampa was postponed due to weather. The game will be made as part of a doubleheader between the Manatees and Yankees on Monday beginning at 4:00pm CT.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Late miscues cost Shuckers in 5-3 loss to Biscuits

Jorge Ortega tosses a season-high seven innings in no decision

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/7/9/6/186429796/cuts/2Q5A2799_dyuemayn_1ds594po.JPG

Jorge Ortega tossed a season-high seven innings on Sunday night at MGM Park. (Michael Krebs)

Biloxi Boxscore

Okay, I've waited all night for the boxscore to update and I just don't understand how the 3rd run Jorge Ortega gave up was earned?

Montgomery Top of the 2nd

• Casey Gillaspie flies out to center fielder Tyrone Taylor.
    Patrick Leonard singles on a sharp ground ball to left fielder Johnny Davis.
    Kean Wong doubles (12) on a line drive to right fielder Garrett Cooper. Patrick Leonard to 3rd.
    Cade Gotta singles on a ground ball to center fielder Tyrone Taylor. Patrick Leonard scores. Kean Wong scores. Cade Gotta to 2nd on the throw.
    With Jake DePew batting, Cade Gotta steals (5) 3rd base, Cade Gotta scores. Throwing error by catcher Jacob Nottingham.
    Jake DePew lines out to left fielder Johnny Davis.
    Braxton Lee grounds out, second baseman Christopher McFarland to first baseman Nick Ramirez.

Normally I wouldn't quibble about 1 run in a season, but that one just seams obvious to me, can the official scorer really assume that Gotta would have scored on the following line out? Regardless Ortega pitches 7 innings without the benefit of a single strike out, not something you will often see.

Letting a game away for a team that just missed out on a playoff spot in the first half hurts. Jacob Nottingham did not have a good game behind the plate throwing the ball away on 2 steal attempts which directly led to runs. Chris McFarland has had an absolutely dreadful June so it was good to see him put a couple of hits on the board, check out his splits at the link. I don't think he's a guy who will hit anywhere near .300, but he's much better than what he's done this month.

Biloxi Recap

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

AUDIO: Sky Sox pre-game with Timber Rattlers Hitting Coach Al LeBoeuf (Part One)

LeBoeuf discusses his health background, which has been documented before, but is still a fascinating listen in audio form. LeBoeuf is filling in for a couple of weeks at the AAA level for Bob Skube.

We don't learn why Skube is out, apparently that was discussed in Part Two, to be aired later this season, perhaps even after Skube's return.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Round Rock 7, Colorado Springs 0

Sky Sox Offense Stifled In 7-0 Loss

Sky Sox produce just two base hits in loss to Express

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

Colorado Springs Box Score

Sky Sox first hit came with one out in the 8th. Looks like 26-year-old LHP Michael Roth was a wise minor league free agent signing by the Rangers (MiLB.com feature story on his Sunday effort).

Colorado Springs Game Log

From the linked summary above --

"Wily Peralta pitched four innings on the mound, allowing four earned runs on five hits while striking out four."

LHP Sam Freeman allowed two inherited Peralta runners to score, but there were no outs when he entered.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers’ Michael Reed, Corey Knebel enjoy a homecoming in Round Rock

By Kevin Lyttle - Austin American-Statesman Staff

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/lt/lt_cache/thumbnail/728/img/photos/2016/06/26/b6/70/jwj-Express-1211.jpg

Former Leander standout Michael Reed of the Colorado Springs Sky Sox rounds the bases after hitting a home run in the first inning of the game against the Express at Dell Diamond in Round Rock on Saturday. Reed, along with teammates and ex-Longhorns Corey Knebel and Taylor Jungmann, have had a taste of the major leagues and are hoping to get back there soon JAY JANNER / AMERICAN-STATESMAN

ROUND ROCK — The Austin-area chapter of the Milwaukee Brewers had varying samples of major-league ball in 2015. But establishing a residency in the big leagues is a tricky thing.

Former Leander outfielder Michael Reed and former Texas Longhorns All-American closer Corey Knebel, a Georgetown High graduate, are in town with the Colorado Sky Sox playing the Express.

Struggling starting pitcher Taylor Jungmann, another former Longhorn All-American and Georgetown ex, was recently sent to extended spring training in Arizona to try to get it back together.

“Baseball is a humbling game,” said Reed, 23, a fifth-round draft choice in 2011. “I climbed through Double-A and Triple-A last year and reached the majors in September. This year I’ve faced adversity. I started out hot then hit a cold streak. Now I’m swinging the bat well again, but it’s a roller-coaster ride. You’ve got to minimize the ‘down’ periods.”

Reed is on a high. Prior to Sunday's game, he is 16 for 37 (.432) with 10 RBIs in his last 10 games. That hiked his season average to .262 with 27 RBIs. The No. 2-hole hitter is second on the team with 37 runs scored.

In his first at bat during this four-game series, Reed hit a high drive deep over the left-field fence at Dell Diamond, drawing applause from a few rows of fans over the first-base dugout.

“This is home,” he said. “I come back here in the offseason and train 10 minutes from here. My parents live in Cedar Park, and I have a lot of family and friends here.”

Knebel, 24, a 2013 Detroit first-round pick, quickly reached the majors but has been used as a trade chip by the Tigers and Rangers. He’s pitched in 61 MLB games with a 3.98 ERA but walked six batters in four innings with the Brewers this year. He hasn’t allowed a run in four innings with the Sky Sox.

“I’ve got to stop walking people,” he said. “That’s what’s been kind of hit and miss with me, what’s holding me back.

“It’s overthinking. If I get behind a guy, I feel like I’ve got to make the perfect pitch. Then I get behind 2 and 0, and I think, ‘OK, I can’t throw it here or there.’ I’ve just got to cut loose. I have the stuff to get batters out.”

Jungmann, a first-round selection in 2011, looked good last year in Milwaukee with a 9-8 record and 3.77 ERA in 21 starts. But nothing was working this year. After posting a 9.15 ERA in five starts for the Brewers, he was sent to Colorado Springs, where he put up a 9.87 mark in eight starts before the organization called a halt.

Reed earned his first MLB promotion last September and went 2 for 6 with a double in seven games.

“It was an unbelievable feeling,” Reed said. “All the work I put in from childhood on up paid off at that moment. I kept my bat, my batting glove, the ball from my first hit, the ticket from that game. It’s all in my house.”

Reed, the Brewers’ No. 17 prospect according to Baseball America, is a table-setter who walked 73 times last year to help his .371 on-base percentage. A good fielder, he has gap power and ripped 33 doubles with 70 RBIs. He stole 59 bases total over the 2014-15 seasons. Reed already has 43 walks and a .389 OBP in 2016.

“Speed is a big part of my game,” he said, “and I get on base any way I can.”

Reed and Knebel, who live only several miles apart, enjoy trading high school tales from Leander and Georgetown.

“The only time I faced him, I hit him in the ribs,” Knebel said. “He’s reminded me a few times.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Great Falls 3, Helena 2

Voyagers Score Two in 8th for 3-2 Victory

Four Ejected in Wild Sunday Matinee

By Craig Durham / Helena Brewers

Well, if there was ever a teaser to force you to click on a game summary link, that'd be the one...

Actually, looks like only three were ejected, and only one Brewer, as noted in Craig's summary.

The Great Falls Tribune game story focuses on the Voyagers, naturally, but did include this:

Helena skipper Nestor Corredor exited in the ninth after a tough call on a Helena steal try at third, leaving the field Bobby Knight-style with a chair toss from the dugout.

Helena Box Score

Have a day, catcher Nathan Rodriguez. The 21st round pick was 2-for-4 at the plate with a double and two stolen bases, and also threw out all three baserunners who attempted to steal second base on him. Just the kind of effort we try to highlight that often goes overlooked in a game summary ;).

Gilbert Lara walked in four plate appearances, so there's that.

23rd round Texas A&M 1B Ronnie Gideon, now with two Helena home runs in 19 AB's, hit five in 2016 in just 67 college at-bats. He only started 20 of the 36 games he played in (college stats 2016) and 2014-15, look under "career stats". So far, good scouting on that pick...

Helena Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Arizona Rangers 7, Arizona Brewers 3

Weather: 103 degrees, cloudy.

Wind: 6 mph, Out to LF.

Maryvale Box Score

RHP Nelson Hernandez was tagged for seven runs (five earned) in his five innings of work, so the four innings of scoreless relief work that followed mattered little in terms of the final score.

CF Nicolas Pierre is now officially listed as "Nic Pierre" on MiLB.com.

Four Brewers reached base twice, with first baseman Jay Feliciano the only to do so with two base hits (he was also caught stealing).

We're rooting for 27th round pick RF Nick Cain (Faulkner State Community College in Alabama), the dude can mash (2015-16 NAIA stats), but off to an 0-for-15 start to his pro career (one walk).

Maryvale Game Log

Archived