Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 3)

Without question. There's just no way the Rangers would offer that.

@WiscoSportsNut

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Indians fan here. Would love to have Lucroy in an Indians uni. Zimmer/Frazier/Bradley/Aiken/Clevinger seem to be untouchable. I also think Mejia is untouchable as he is really the only good catching prospect the Tribe has in their system. Even more so now that Gomes seems to have fallen off a cliff. The most realistic prospect package would likely center on Sheffield. Not sure if that is a good enough starting point, but I doubt the Indians would give up one of their top 5 guys for a player that only has <1.5 yrs of control. What's your guys' thoughts??

The Brewers have stated, they're focused on young, controllable pitching for Lucroy, and David Stearns is looking for talent right now, without much regard to which minor league level it is currently playing at. If the two teams can match up on a centerpiece, and then a group of 2-3 "upside" kids in the low minors right now, you could see a trade between the two teams.

The question, of course, is whether the Indians have, and would deal, the pitching prospect Milwaukee would build the deal around.

Indians fan here. Would love to have Lucroy in an Indians uni. Zimmer/Frazier/Bradley/Aiken/Clevinger seem to be untouchable. I also think Mejia is untouchable as he is really the only good catching prospect the Tribe has in their system. Even more so now that Gomes seems to have fallen off a cliff. The most realistic prospect package would likely center on Sheffield. Not sure if that is a good enough starting point, but I doubt the Indians would give up one of their top 5 guys for a player that only has <1.5 yrs of control. What's your guys' thoughts??

It's a year and a half of an elite catcher + a comp pick if you can't sign Lucroy to an extension (Which I think you could). To get Lucroy you would have to give up one of those "untouchables" in addition to Sheffield to get the talks going. Then you would still need to add another piece to the equation.

I'd love to see a package of Bradley, Sheffield and McKenzie coming back to Milwaukee. That's obviously too much for Lucroy alone so I'd be willing to add a reliever to that package. The Indians could have their pick between Jeremy Jeffress or Will Smith if the Brewers could get another low level nugget in return. That is assuming you need any relief help.

@WiscoSportsNut

Gotta give a little to get a little. Maybe with the recent NBA championship the Indians will feel some pressure this year to put themselves over the hump and think outside the box by making a big splash in the market. I think the Indians' system is deep enough to make something work even with taking those prospects off the table, however, taking 6 of the team's top 8 prospects off the table off the bat for a catcher with over a year of control left at an extremely affordable contract, performing at an incredible level doesn't really make sense to me. I'd be interested in at least one of those "untouchables," and maybe adding a Sheffield or McKenzie as a secondary piece with a lotto ticket or two. Cleveland could be interested in one of our relievers too, sweetening the return.

It's a year and a half of an elite catcher + a comp pick if you can't sign Lucroy to an extension (Which I think you could). To get Lucroy you would have to give up one of those "untouchables" in addition to Sheffield to get the talks going. Then you would still need to add another piece to the equation.

I'd love to see a package of Bradley, Sheffield and McKenzie coming back to Milwaukee. That's obviously too much for Lucroy alone so I'd be willing to add a reliever to that package. The Indians could have their pick between Jeremy Jeffress or Will Smith if the Brewers could get another low level nugget in return. That is assuming you need any relief help.

Gotta give a little to get a little. Maybe with the recent NBA championship the Indians will feel some pressure this year to put themselves over the hump and think outside the box by making a big splash in the market. I think the Indians' system is deep enough to make something work even with taking those prospects off the table, however, taking 6 of the team's top 8 prospects off the table off the bat for a catcher with over a year of control left at an extremely affordable contract, performing at an incredible level doesn't really make sense to me. I'd be interested in at least one of those "untouchables," and maybe adding a Sheffield or McKenzie as a secondary piece with a lotto ticket or two. Cleveland could be interested in one of our relievers too, sweetening the return.

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE.

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE.

The site needs a thumbs up feature for posts like this :laughing

@WiscoSportsNut

Unless Stearns is replaced by Ruben Amaro Jr... No dice.

I tend to agree with you guys that the Indians would have to give up one of their top 5. The only reason Clevinger is untouchable right now is he is the 6th guy in case of injury. With Salazar having elbow soreness (even though it is mild and is going to make his next start after the break) makes him a necessity to keep. However, I could see Roberto Perez or Cody Anderson as part of a Lucroy deal. Both coming off injury but have already shown success in the majors. Perez is what the Indians will fall back to if the cost is too great for Lucroy. Or they may not even look into Lucroy at all and point to Perez as being the guy. Perez would be an attractive piece for the Brewers. That is actually what I would prefer as an Indians fan. Perez, Sheffield and 2 other pieces. As long as a bp piece was also coming back, be it Smith, Jeffress or Thornburg.

I should add that Perez is due back in the next 7-14 days. If Gomes doesn't pick it up after the break I think they will give Perez a shot and see how he does for a week. If they don't like what they see the Indians will then and only then look at Lucroy. It will be a trade deadline day deal if the Indians do make a trade for Lucroy imo.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Lucroy said he isn't involved in any contract negotiations with the Brewers, and reiterates that he wants to play for a contender.

“I want to be competitive. I want to be on a team that is playing for a championship. If that’s the Brewers, great. If not, not. It’s a tough situation.”

http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/nl/milwaukee-brewers/heyman-jonathan-lucroy-ready-contender-milwaukee-elsewhere/

The article notes that Brewer scouts have been watching Ranger games, which makes sense. Some of our pitchers are probably is of interest to them as well.

Community Moderator
Ohiocat, appreciate your perspective here and I do see the Indians as a legitimate contender to acquire Lucroy, but in my opinion there isn't an organization in baseball that could tell the Brewers their top five prospects were untouchable and still have a reasonable hope of landing Lucroy.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I should add that Perez is due back in the next 7-14 days. If Gomes doesn't pick it up after the break I think they will give Perez a shot and see how he does for a week. If they don't like what they see the Indians will then and only then look at Lucroy. It will be a trade deadline day deal if the Indians do make a trade for Lucroy imo.

I would be very upset if the Brewers wait until August 1st to deal Lucroy. There is nothing left to prove, he's been rock solid the last 3 months. If I'm Stearns, I tell clubs that we are accepting final offers in the next couple days. The best offers are negotiated and he's gone. One little injury and the haul is gone. There has got to be an offer out there that he'd accept. His value will never be higher than right now.

I would be very upset if the Brewers wait until August 1st to deal Lucroy. There is nothing left to prove, he's been rock solid the last 3 months. If I'm Stearns, I tell clubs that we are accepting final offers in the next couple days. The best offers are negotiated and he's gone. One little injury and the haul is gone. There has got to be an offer out there that he'd accept. His value will never be higher than right now.

You must not understand how the trade deadline works. Many teams aren't ready to wheel and deal yet. The dominos have yet to fall and the only way big time players move now is if we get blown away.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Rosenthal reports that 17 scouts were at the Rangers recent Class-A Rookie League game, and the Crew has been scouting the Rangers system. He lists 17-year-old outfielder Leody Taveras and 18-year-old shortstop Anderson Tejeda as prime talent that could interest Milwaukee. He also says the Crew would likely want someone like Gallo or Profor.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/texas-rangers-milwaukee-brewers-trade-deadline-ken-rosenthal-notebook-071116

Let the speculating begin...

Just trade everyone to Texas and get it over with:

Texas gets:

- C Lucroy (~1.5 yrs, $7.5m rem.)

- OF Braun (~4.5 yrs, $90m rem., helps make Brinson available)

- 1B Carter (helps make Gallo available)

- SP Nelson and/or SP Guerra

- RP Smith and/or RP Jeffress

Milwaukee gets:

- 3B Gallo (#7 on Top 100, #1 on Top 3B, #1 on TEX)

- OF Brinson (#13 on Top 100, #1 on Top OF, #2 on TEX)

- RHP Tate (#31 on Top 100, #7 on Top RHP, #3 on TEX)

- RHP Ortiz (#63 on Top 100, #4 on TEX)

- RHP Matuella (#7 on TEX)

- OF Taveras (#8 on TEX)

- SS Tejada (some 18 year old with a .907 OPS this year we may be scouting)

- 1B Fielder (~4.5 yrs, 80m rem., helps offset Braun's salary)

Texas gains some rotation and bullpen help and their lineup for the rest of this year and next year becomes:

RF Choo (.884)

CF Desmond (.899)

C Lucroy (.853)

DH Braun (.881)

3B Beltre (.778)

1B Carter (.830) / Moreland (.707)

LF Mazara (.750) / Rua (.807)

2B Odor (.787)

SS Andrus (.771) / Profar (.828)

Easy. Done deal. (half blue)

If I was the Brewers I would totally do that because of the elite prospects, but I bet if we did this deal and then did a simulation as if we traded them separately the later would end up better. Yah the top prospects are shiny, but this robs so many lottery tickets we could have had if dealt elsewhere. Probably could end up with 10+ more solid or lottery type guys if they were dealt separate. You are robbing yourself the shot at the Michael Brantley and Marcos Diplan's of the baseball world.

Regarding the Indians, Lucroy would easily have the highest qualifiing OPS on that squad. Instantly would be their best hitter joining Brantley right as he is coming back from injury.

Not only do I want one of their top 5...I want two plus some lottery tickets.

If I'm Stearns, I tell clubs that we are accepting final offers in the next couple days. The best offers are negotiated and he's gone. One little injury and the haul is gone. There has got to be an offer out there that he'd accept. His value will never be higher than right now.

I get where you're going with this, but it doesn't work that way. What if nobody is ready to pull the trigger at that deadline? Also, not the reputation you want as a GM, throwing ultimatums around.

I get the sense some people think Stearns is holding out for the "perfect" deal, and that's not the case. It's just too early, and yes it makes everyone (including us) anxious. But this is a huge trade chip, and you don't want to cash that in for a mediocre deal just to get it done.

Any trade with Cleveland starts with Bradley Zimmer or Clint Frazier. Any trade with Texas starts with Lewis Brinson. Cleveland (RP) and Texas (any) both could use pitching. The amount of prospects will continue to rise depending on who Milwaukee wants to throw in. Cleveland: Bobbly Bradley (1B), Francisco Mejia © and Tristan Makenzie (P). Texas: Dillon Tate (P), Luis Ortiz (P) or Michael Mautella (P). I prefer more advanced prospects who area little closer than class A lottery tickets. Let the bidding begin!

OK - if Texas offered the following deal, would you accept if you were DS:

Texas gets: Lucroy & either Jeffress/Smith

Brewers get: Brinson, Taveras, either Yohander Mendez/Ariel Jurado, either Ronald Guzman/Travis Demeritte

Would you pull the trigger on this deal? Guzman and Demeritte both were ranked in the 20's in the Rangers system in the MLB.com preseason rankings, yet both just made the Futures game after putting up good numbers in the 1st half of their seasons. Is this a fair return for Luc and one of our two premier relief pitchers, or does one side laugh the other off the phone? Curious for others thoughts on this trade offer.

OK - if Texas offered the following deal, would you accept if you were DS:

Texas gets: Lucroy & either Jeffress/Smith

Brewers get: Brinson, Taveras, either Yohander Mendez/Ariel Jurado, either Ronald Guzman/Travis Demeritte

Would you pull the trigger on this deal? Guzman and Demeritte both were ranked in the 20's in the Rangers system in the MLB.com preseason rankings, yet both just made the Futures game after putting up good numbers in the 1st half of their seasons. Is this a fair return for Luc and one of our two premier relief pitchers, or does one side laugh the other off the phone? Curious for others thoughts on this trade offer.

I like the 3 supporting pieces but there's not enough pitching coming back to us. Swap out Brinson for Ortiz and I would say yes. I really like Guzman and hope he's apart of any trade with the Rangers.

@WiscoSportsNut

I would love a Lucroy to the Rangers, but they have bigger needs than catcher. They are looking for more SP and RP help which we can help on the RP end.

They need to make a move for a SP which will require some big prospects and I would find it hard to believe they'll want to deplete their system with 2 big trades, would love it, but doubt it. Not getting my hopes up high.

Archived