Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 3)

I really can't believe the Braves have such a strong interest in Lucroy, since he's useless to them the rest of this season.

It's mostly for next year and beyond. Don't be surprised if the Braves pick up multiple players. Jay Bruce and Sonny Gray are also possibilities for the Braves.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scott Bartell is reporting that, besides the Indians and Rangers, the Atlanta Braves are still very much hot after Jonathan Lucroy, and may be willing to part with any prospect not named Dansby Swanson in order to land him. Stay tuned.

Looks like that Indians' writer's proposed deal of Hillman and Clevinger for Lucroy and Smith might not cut the mustard.

I am sorry but the Braves make no sense. For us sure; but from there perspective its not like they have any hope of competing next year. Maybe they flip him in the offseason? Obviously they have enough prospects to make it happen but it would be really weird.

So, what would does everyone think it would take to get a deal done with the Braves? I know they have some good young arms, but it appears that many of them are struggling a bit this year. Could you get a package of Allard, Riley and then one 18-19 year old high upside kid in return? Is that enough value for Lucroy, or would you need more from the Braves?

So, what would does everyone think it would take to get a deal done with the Braves? I know they have some good young arms, but it appears that many of them are struggling a bit this year. Could you get a package of Allard, Riley and then one 18-19 year old high upside kid in return? Is that enough value for Lucroy, or would you need more from the Braves?

For me you would definitely need more. Especially when considering the leverage brought on with Cleveland and Texas' interest. One of Newcomb/Albies has to be in the package if Swanson is untouchable.

The Braves interest in Lucroy means two things:

1. They aren't viewing Lucroy as a player controllable 1.5 more years. They would either demand an extension before a trade is finalized or do everything to extend him after. They wouldn't let him touch FA.

2. They are planning more major trades and/or a shopping spree in the offseason. Obviously Lucroy alone doesn't put them over the top.

It makes sense because they can't wait till the offseason where all their other hypothetical moves would take place. To get Lucroy you do it now or it will be too late come December. Of course I wouldn't sell the farm and spend a lot of money in one calendar year on a team that bad, but if they want to? Go right ahead.

The Braves have been the most creative team out there over the last couple of years - they've done things other teams simply have not.

Atlanta trades for international signing slots, they trade for competitive balance picks, they took on a 10 million dollar contract, to get Arizona's first round pick from the prior year, they loaded up on cash for the draft, and dispensed it in a manner that netted three "first round talents" - they're as creative as it gets.

Why they would want Lucroy, I have no idea, but it would actually be fun to watch what they come up with next. I could see them flipping him immediately, trying to extend him, trading him in the winter, trading him next July, or using his talent and taking the pick when he walks.

Don't ask me how they think any of that makes sense, because I don't see it either, but I'm sure they have a plan, and they're never boring.

The Braves interest in Lucroy means two things:

1. They aren't viewing Lucroy as a player controllable 1.5 more years. They would either demand an extension before a trade is finalized or do everything to extend him after. They wouldn't let him touch FA.

2. They are planning more major trades and/or a shopping spree in the offseason. Obviously Lucroy alone doesn't put them over the top.

It makes sense because they can't wait till the offseason where all their other hypothetical moves would take place. To get Lucroy you do it now or it will be too late come December. Of course I wouldn't sell the farm and spend a lot of money in one calendar year on a team that bad, but if they want to? Go right ahead.

I think they are planning a Marlins-style spending frenzy to open up their new ballpark. Their rebuild timeline isn't quite meshing with the stadium timeline so they are probably looking to accelerate it a bit (or at least throw money at some big names to keep fans interested until the prospects are ready). I'm not sure what the FA crop looks to be like this offseason, but we all know the starting pitching field is very weak (which is why this would be a perfect season to deal Nelson if we're so inclined), so Atlanta is in the unenviable position of wanting to throw money at FA's so they don't have to deal the prospects they've hoarded, but there may not be many players worthy of that spending spree.

Gruber Lawffices

For me you would definitely need more. Especially when considering the leverage brought on with Cleveland and Texas' interest. One of Newcomb/Albies has to be in the package if Swanson is untouchable.

I would want Newcomb/Toussaint/and a third player down the list from the Braves for Lucroy. If you throw in one of Nelson or Thornburg/Jeffress, you probably could get Riley as well.

I don't really like the Braves system. Newcomb and his control scares me, Albies has zero power and would have to play 2B for us(not a huge fan of his bat), and that leaves Allard as the top player in their system to get. He is nice, but as the centerpiece? We could probably do better.

I would need Newcomb, Allard, and more. The more being quality stuff not low minor lottery tickets. Again because I am not huge on Newcomb and I bet other teams could do better than a Braves package.

Then again I might take less(not really) just to watch the post trade press conference. "So Lucroy I know you wanted to play for a contender...how do you feel about going to the worst team in baseball?" PRICELESS

I don't really like the Braves system. Newcomb and his control scares me, Albies has zero power and would have to play 2B for us(not a huge fan of his bat), and that leaves Allard as the top player in their system to get. He is nice, but as the centerpiece? We could probably do better.

I would need Newcomb, Allard, and more. The more being quality stuff not low minor lottery tickets. Again because I am not huge on Newcomb and I bet other teams could do better than a Braves package.

I agree with this assessment. My guess is that Stearns would still prefer a package that the Indians would put together, even if it means he'd have to include Will Smith in the deal from the Brewers end. I'd also guess that if the Rangers were willing to part with Gallo as the headliner along with a couple of their lower level arms with upside, it could trump the Indians offer.

I wonder if they will be trading both Smith and JJ?

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 3m3 minutes ago

The #Brewers drawing lots of inquiries on relievers Will Smith and Jeremy Jeffress, who will be moved if demands are met

Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but Dave Cameron says in a Fangraphs chat from yesterday that Swihart and Devers could work as the main pieces to get Lucroy plus a reliever. I don't know why we'd want Swihart. Devers looks great, but is he enough to make up most of the value in that scenario?

Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but Dave Cameron says in a Fangraphs chat from yesterday that Swihart and Devers could work as the main pieces to get Lucroy plus a reliever. I don't know why we'd want Swihart. Devers looks great, but is he enough to make up most of the value in that scenario?

This type of trade would be disappointing.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Braves have been the most creative team out there over the last couple of years - they've done things other teams simply have not.

Atlanta trades for international signing slots, they trade for competitive balance picks, they took on a 10 million dollar contract, to get Arizona's first round pick from the prior year, they loaded up on cash for the draft, and dispensed it in a manner that netted three "first round talents" - they're as creative as it gets.

Why they would want Lucroy, I have no idea, but it would actually be fun to watch what they come up with next. I could see them flipping him immediately, trying to extend him, trading him in the winter, trading him next July, or using his talent and taking the pick when he walks.

Don't ask me how they think any of that makes sense, because I don't see it either, but I'm sure they have a plan, and they're never boring.

I'm jealous of how Atlanta has built their farm system so quickly and so cleverly. I wish we were as smart. I know youre a big fan of our FO but let's face it, so far Atlanta is playing chess and our guy is playing checkers. Hopefully the Luc trade will be the splash move to get us jump started.

As to acquiring Luc, that would only make sense if they think their young pitching coming up as 90s Braves capability and they want a veteran catcher to work with who can also provide some pop in a line up that could use it. And if not, so what, they can flip him dowm the road.

I still see the Indians being the best fit.

With Fielder going down - Lucroy/Carter for Gallo/Tate/Mendez/Guzman

If you're Texas, what would you rather have?

Gallo (probably similar production to Carter) + some ace/top of the rotation pitcher acquired from those other 3 players

OR

Carter (this year very similar to Gallo) + Lucroy? Chirinos hasn't been terrible at catcher with the bat.

Also factor in that Moreland at 1B, Rua platooning in at the corners/DH, Choo returning from the DL eventually is not really any worse than they had with Fielder in the lineup, because he was trash this year.

Also factor in they have a historically bad pitching staff (all of them) outside of Hamels, Darvish, and maybe one or two bullpen arms.

Texas does not make this trade. They need to use their prospects to acquire pitching.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Read in a couple of places that Gallo is more available than the Rangers have made everyone believe. Not sure what Stearns and company think of Gallo, but I wonder if teams (including the Rangers) are coming to believe that Gallo has too high of a bust potential due to his swing and miss issues.

The Rangers recently promoted Delino DeShields and Hanser Alberto instead of Gallo after Choo and Fielder got put on the DL. I wonder if the club is afraid Gallo will come to the majors and produce like last year, which was 57k in 108 ABs.

Gallo's a fascinating player, but you wonder if the Crew would want someone more 'safe.'

Texas intends to play Profar at 1B, that's how they'll cover Fielder's absence.

Yes, TX needs to add MLB-level pitching - right now. I do not see them as a match for Carter, but I do see them as a possible match for any of Jeffress, Smith - heck anybody in the Brewers' bullpen, as well as Jimmy Nelson or Guerra (if you can possibly agree on what he should be worth), and Lucroy.

I've got a friend who's a huge TX fan - he calls every day right now and refers to the Brewers as the "One-Stop Shop" - yesterday, he said, "Go ahead and send 6-7 players north, and get me Lucroy, Nelson and Smith or Jeffress."

I absolutely do not see that happening, but the two teams do match up well to get something done.

Before someone says, "We could throw-in Nelson" or one of Jeffress/Smith .... don't. The Brewers will not be, "throwing in" truly viable trade chips to get one more kid added to a Lucroy deal.

What about...

Rangers receive:

C Jonathan Lucroy

RHP Jimmy Nelson

Brewers receive:

3B Joey Gallo

RHP Luis Ortiz

OF Leody Taveras

RHP Michael Matuella

LHP Yohander Mendez

RHP Ariel Jurado

Archived