Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 3)

Matz injury pretty much cements the fact that the Mets won't be trading any pitching. They don't have what it takes to land Lucroy otherwise, so they are simple out of the running.

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matt Garza is probably the best pitcher on this team. Has one bad season and everyone thinks he is washed up. I think you guys just hated him before anyway.

This. He was hated here from the moment he signed. Which was somewhat understandable considering how the Lohse, Wolf, and Suppan signings worked out. Even though Garza's first year was pretty good and in some ways better than his career averages, many were still sour on him. Then he lays a brick last year and a journalist sensationalizes a story and just about everyone here thinks he's the worst pitcher ever and no one will ever want him.

I like Garza just fine and I really hope he continues to pitch well so we can flip him for something of value, but he has no value right now because of how awful he was last year and his injury history. Two good starts won't change that. Realistically, he's a guy I'm hoping we can deal in August if he has a good summer.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I am kind of worried about this Lucroy extension talk that popped up a bit though, especially given the lack of credible rumors. I know it's early, but I'd really like to move him ASAP.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I am kind of worried about this Lucroy extension talk that popped up a bit though, especially given the lack of credible rumors. I know it's early, but I'd really like to move him ASAP.

+1 Would have thought there would be a lot more rumors at this point with his all star play right now. Especially when Lucroy said in the offseason that he thought he was going to be dealt like 5 times.

Wheeler had setback, gonna get checked by doctors soon... Doesn't sound serious until further notice but I got no interest in him being a main peice in a lucroy deal
Yep, if we're dealing with the Mets I'm dialed in on Conforto or Rosario. Conforto is having a down year so far mainly because of this awful slump he's in. Maybe the Mets sacrifice future offensive potential for an impact bat. I doubt it, but that's the only way a deal get's done IMO.

Not worried about the Lucroy extension talk. I think it is mostly just a big lie. Only way he signs an extension is if the offers for trades are horrible, he sign below market value(by a good amount, and I think a trade of Braun to free up payroll would be likely. The last may not be a requirement though.

That's just the Brewers trying to get some leverage. Extending a 30 year old catcher would be insane.

Brewers need impact pitching back from trades

Just Wrong..Brewers need impact young players, we aren't doing anything till 2018 anyways - Get the best talent you can now

I agree. The Brewer farmhands arent lighting it up like I had hoped. We need an elite talent infusion.

I get that, but I will severely disappointed if at least one top 60 pitcher doesn't come back from Lucroy, now is their chance to get a stud

We aren't doing it through Free Agency

Devers has a high ceiling but he hasn't done anything in the minors yet and they aren't sure if he can stick at 3B

233/300/335 at high A, 4HR in 236 AB's

284/343/434 career minors 2014-2016, 22HR in 966 AB's

If it was Espinosa and Moncada I would love it

I doubt this would happen but Lucroy/Braun/Garza for Moncada/Devers/Castillo

You're right, it wont happen but dear god would I love Moncada.

Maybe Lucroy/Braun/Jeffress (or Smith) for Moncada + Espinoza?

I get that, but I will severely disappointed if at least one top 60 pitcher doesn't come back from Lucroy, now is their chance to get a stud

We aren't doing it through Free Agency

Devers has a high ceiling but he hasn't done anything in the minors yet and they aren't sure if he can stick at 3B

233/300/335 at high A, 4HR in 236 AB's

284/343/434 career minors 2014-2016, 22HR in 966 AB's

If it was Espinosa and Moncada I would love it

Devers is 19 - Power always comes late

Espinosa/Moncada would be a pipe dream

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

A couple of notes about the Red Sox:

1. They really need a starting pitcher more than anything, so they may use their prospects to try and land a major starter. The problem is that there probably aren't any great starters available. Guys like Tehran and Odorizzi are good, but not great.

So unless someone like Greinke or Sale hits the market, I don't know if they would pay for 'good' with regard to starting pitching.

But in the end, Boston has scored the most runs in all of baseball, so they may stand pat position wise and go for the pitching upgrade.

2. Moncada has only played 2B in his career - reports I've read say he isn't anything special. With Pedroia under contract through 2021, you have to wonder if he could be made available just because of the question of 'where to play him'. I've never seen the guy, so maybe he'll play at 3B or LF. Just a thought.

3. If Milwaukee is looking to move Braun, taking a salary back, like Ramirez, is a way to improve the return. Not that I want Hanley, but it is a way to significantly improve what we are getting back. Of course, Boston would have to fill their 1B slot - but if they had a plan for that, it would potentially work. Braun would be a great DH for them - he'd do great at Fenway. Sandoval could become the 1B next season if he returns.

A Braun/Lucroy package for Moncada/Espinoza/Hanley would be an interesting starting point. There would probably be some other parts to this, players as well as money, but it's a starting point and you get the idea. Get a big bat and a big arm back from Boston. Maybe add in a nugget or two for us. Michael Chavis, for example, is interesting.

As mentioned in the Braun thread, the Rangers have a need for some pitching with Lewis, Holland and Darvish all on the DL.

Rangers catchers have been coming back down to earth and below average the past 30 days now. In the past week, this trio has 1 hit in 22 AB's and 10 strikeouts.

Last 30 days

Holaday 250/231/417, 24 AB's, 1 HR

Wilson 234/255/298, 47 AB's, 1 HR

Chirinos 167/310/542, 24 AB's, 3 HR

I still think the Rangers are a long shot, but another week or 2 of struggles with the C position and it could be a strong need. I would be open to including any SP on our staff with Lucroy if it brought back top talent, even it if means Jimmy Nelson. And with the Astros surging, Rangers could feel the need to make a big move. SP will be their first priority, but C could be up there very soon.

I would love to have the Astros string off 15 in a row and start a bidding war between them and the Rangers for Lucroy. Dream scenario. Even if the catchers in Texas are decent, it is getting towards the really hot time of year for them. Having two good catchers down there would be more important than say somewhere in the North. Lucroy/Anderson/Jeffess for Brinson\Tate\ Jurado\Forbes
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Archived