Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy Trades/Proposals (part 3)

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all seriousness, the Red Sox may be all in. If they are, I could see Lucroy and Jeffress to the Red Sox for a package centered around Moncada or Andrew Benintendi, with Rafael Devers as piece #2. It's pretty well known that Dave Dombrowski is willing to use the farm system to win now. He is the anti-Theo Epstein.

Honestly, I would be floored if Boston did that. I think Devers might be had, but I don't think they'll let go of either Benintendi, or (especially), Moncada.

I've said it before, (and I'll certainly root for your idea) - these two teams could certainly match up on a big one. The Brewers have major league pieces Boston could use, and the Red Sox have plenty of minor league depth left to deal from.

Quick hypothetical... for a headliner who would you rather have (assuming they're on the table) Gallo or Profar?

Part of me is scared to death of the contact issues with Gallo, and I really want Profar, but another party of me is just enticed with Gallo's power. I'm getting to the point of just saying F it go for the power just for how fun it will be.

Quick hypothetical... for a headliner who would you rather have (assuming they're on the table) Gallo or Profar?

Part of me is scared to death of the contact issues with Gallo, and I really want Profar, but another party of me is just enticed with Gallo's power. I'm getting to the point of just saying F it go for the power just for how fun it will be.

I think we definitely get better secondary pieces if Profar is the headliner. That being said his injury issues are definitely a concern. In my best case scenario if we are trading both Lucroy and Smith we can take Profar + Brinson as Gallo scares me too much.

Funny thing is that I would have rather had Profar as a prospect than now. Granted he is doing very nicely, but I want more proof.

I'm not a huge fan of Gallo for the reasons you mention. I just dont see a ton of value in a guy who hits 35 HR but barely hits .250. He's just Khris Davis then.

So I answered my own thought here...I would rather have Profar, but I'm not convinced about him yet.

Gotta wonder about the service time clock with Profar too right? I mean if both were controlled as minor league players without their clocks going, I'd side with Profar. If we'd be getting another couple years from Gallo than with that from Profar (if those are our only two options), I'd side Gallo.

To be honest I'm a sucker for the toolsy players. I know those mentioned above have them but a Brinson, Victor Robles from the Nats, even a Demi in our system are guys that I dream about putting their tools together. That's why I've really been hoping Lewis is a piece in the return from the Texas side. Throw in some pitching and we've got the structure of a serious package.

Profar makes no sense unless he signs an extension. He would basically be a rental for us. We hope to be competing in 2018 and that would be our second to last year of control. No thanks.

As mentioned Gallo has a giant hole in his swing and would be a big gamble. I feel he is overrated because we drool over the potential, but ong ore that floor and SO issues.

I'd still like to make sure either Tate or Ortiz plus 2-3 others are coming back. Pitching, more pitching and more pitching please.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Profar makes no sense unless he signs an extension. He would basically be a rental for us. We hope to be competing in 2018 and that would be our second to last year of control. No thanks.

As mentioned Gallo has a giant hole in his swing and would be a big gamble. I feel he is overrated because we drool over the potential, but ong ore that floor and SO issues.

Okay in that case center the trade around Brinson and ask for one or two of Tate/Ortiz/Matuella next.

Tom Haudricourt says that our price remains very high on Lucroy. Sounds like JD was looking for a bargain... I remain strong in my belief that you don't bend on your asking price (especially as a young G.M.) it sets an awful precedent for future negotiations.

I remain strong in my belief that you don't bend on your asking price (especially as a young G.M.) it sets an awful precedent for future negotiations.

Couldn't setting your asking price way too high be setting an awful precedent too? Who wants to negotiate with someone who completely overvalues their players and refuses to acknowledge doing so?

I have no problem with him lowering his price if it becomes clear nobody is going to meet it. As I've said before getting a comp pick for Lucroy would be a disaster.

Verified Member
I remain strong in my belief that you don't bend on your asking price (especially as a young G.M.) it sets an awful precedent for future negotiations.

Couldn't setting your asking price way too high be setting an awful precedent too? Who wants to negotiate with someone who completely overvalues their players and refuses to acknowledge doing so?

I have no problem with him lowering his price if it becomes clear nobody is going to meet it. As I've said before getting a comp pick for Lucroy would be a disaster.

A comp pick is 1.5 years away. We are in the enviable position of having absolutely no reason to trade Lucroy now if the asking price is not met. He's under control next season and cheap.

If nobody meets the asking price,it will,have to go down. Everybody knows we have to move him.....if not now then this winter.

I guess the question is who wants him bad enough to give up what Stearns wants? So far the obvious answer is nobody.....

A comp pick is 1.5 years away. We are in the enviable position of having absolutely no reason to trade Lucroy now if the asking price is not met. He's under control next season and cheap

True, but at some point his trade value hits its peak then starts to go down. That point is probably once next season starts as the team that trades for him can't get a comp pick if they acquire him after the season starts (I'm pretty sure anyway). There's also injury risk. Remember that conclusion that hurt his value last offseason. If you don't trade him by this deadline it's not the end of the world. But you have to recognize its not because nobody wants him, it's because you're asking too much. If you continue that into the offseason and still don't move him you could very likely end up with either a lower return than you want or that comp pick.

I do think Lucroy's value is the highest it's going to be right now. Whatever offers are there in the next two weeks will be the best, imo. I also think Stearns pulls a deal perfect or not; he hasn't sat on his hands yet so I don't expect him to now.

I feel like there's kind of a limit to who might be interested. Many of the teams in it already have a quality catcher, but the ones that don't also have some nice prospects to offer. I think it comes down to Texas, Cleveland and Boston. They all have more than enough to get something done that's fair.

Teams want Lucroy, but it appears no team REALLY wants/needs Lucroy. That may ultimately lead to a disappointing return and possibly not being traded until the offseason.

That would be hugely disappointing because the offers will only get lower after July 31st and it puts the Brewers in the position of absolutely having to move him in the offseason.

Asking price shouldn't be unreasonably high, or too low. Teams know he's worth a lot, and that's why this will take a while before someone pulls the trigger. Would be a shame if he's not traded at the deadline, but you simply can't give him away for a mediocre return.

Teams want Lucroy, but it appears no team REALLY wants/needs Lucroy. That may ultimately lead to a disappointing return and possibly not being traded until the offseason.

That would be hugely disappointing because the offers will only get lower after July 31st and it puts the Brewers in the position of absolutely having to move him in the offseason.

I don't know if they would necessarily get lower. Outside of the Indians or Rangers I can't really pinpoint a team that would really have a ton of interest in Lucroy. The Rangers have gotten production from their catchers and the Indians may not be primed to sell part of the farm.

In the offseason their will be more teams interested and the prospect packages to pick from will be more diverse. The packages honestly may not be that worse than they are this deadline. Heck they could end up better. That being said I still hope he is traded before the deadline even if it isn't for the mega package some are expecting. I'd rather not risk another late season injury/concussion crushing his winter trade value. Unless the offers are offer I gotta think you take the best offer this deadline.

I don't know if they would necessarily get lower. Outside of the Indians or Rangers I can't really pinpoint a team that would really have a ton of interest in Lucroy. The Rangers have gotten production from their catchers and the Indians may not be primed to sell part of the farm.

In the offseason their will be more teams interested and the prospect packages to pick from will be more diverse. The packages honestly may not be that worse than they are this deadline. Heck they could end up better. That being said I still hope he is traded before the deadline even if it isn't for the mega package some are expecting. I'd rather not risk another late season injury/concussion crushing his winter trade value. Unless the offers are offer I gotta think you take the best offer this deadline.

There are a ton of teams.

Really the only teams that would not have any real improvement from Lucroy are the Giants, Nationals, Royals and Marlins. With 18-19 teams in the hunt still, there are plenty of places.

Lucroys value isn't getting any higher after the deadline

Ya, Lucroy is at his peak now. I understand the whole having more teams to deal with in the offseason but you're still only getting him for one season as opposed to a season and a half now. That is where his value is determined, not in the number of teams competing for him. Plus, he realistically can't hit any better than he is now and with the potential for a foul tip to derail or end his season at any moment there is just way too much risk and not enough gain to hold on to him past this year's deadline.

Archived