Brewer Fanatic

Landing spots for Aaron Hill

Parra had a near .900 OPS when he was traded last year. Hill doesn't have his value.

Lets say Giants lost Duffy or Panik for extended period. I think Brewers could hold out for a Ty Blach who's not on Davies level but a back end rotation candidate in next year. All depends on the need factor. Hill's a solid veteran presence and would bring a lot to a contending team.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seth Victor of BP Milwaukee on Aaron Hill's trade value. Short version is he speculates he's worth Gerardo Parra's return (Zach Davies) or better.

http://milwaukee.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2016/06/29/aaron-hills-trade-prospects/

Where did I hear that before, I wonder? Parra. Hmm interesting.

I always get a kick out of the guys who love to undersell our guys and act like every other team would never give value. Thank God that mentality is not sitting in the Brewer front office.

Hill is at .280 and been a very nice surprise. Nice Renaissance half of a season. He's somebody I'd move quickly if we could because I'd be cautious on him staying as a .280 guy.

There are a lot of clubs needing a 2B or 3B right now. What other 2B or 3B are currently available? I can't think of any off the top of my head. He'll bring back something of value.

There are a ton that should be available:

For 3B:

The big one is Danny Valencia from the A's. After that there is Freese from the Pirates

Then the Twins could move Nunez, the Marlins are still in it but they may still trade Pardo (being the Marlins and all), Beckham from the Braves perhaps.

For 2B:

The Twins should shop Dozier, Lawrie could be traded yet again, the Rockies could shop LeMaihu, the Padres could (and should) shop Solarte.

Nunez is having a career year - his career OPS is .722 (including this year), and his minor league career OPS is .682. Nunez can play SS, but offensively he is inferior to Hill. Dozier has never played an inning of 3B and surprisingly his career OPS (.736) is lower than Hill (.746), Lawrie is on his fourth organization (says what you need to know about how much teams want him in their clubhouse) and has a career OPS lower than Hill, LeMaihu is having a career year (career OPS of .724), Beckham is having a career year on a small sample (career OPS of .681), Prado like you said may not be available if the Marlins are in contention, and Valencia has played a total of 41 innings in his career at 2B.

If you need someone who can play both 3B and 2B, Hill is arguably the best of the bunch that for sure is available.

There are a lot of clubs needing a 2B or 3B right now. What other 2B or 3B are currently available? I can't think of any off the top of my head. He'll bring back something of value.

For 3B:

The big one is Danny Valencia from the A's. After that there is Freese from the Pirates

Then the Twins could move Nunez, the Marlins are still in it but they may still trade Pardo (being the Marlins and all), Beckham from the Braves perhaps.

For 2B:

The Twins should shop Dozier, Lawrie could be traded yet again, the Rockies could shop LeMaihu, the Padres could (and should) shop Solarte.

Forgot about Valencia, he's better than Hill but not a 2B. Nunez, Prado, and especially Beckham are not better than Hill. I see no reason for the Twins to trade Dozier unless they get blown away and the White Sox, Rockies, and Padres are three of the most clueless organizations in baseball about what they should be doing.

I'll give you Valencia as a better option than Hill at 3B but Danny's the top 2B available.

1B Chris Shaw from the Giants sounds good.

There is absolutely no way the Giants are trading Shaw for Hill. That is just ridiculous. Maybe in a deal for Braun, sure. If for an infielder Villar could probably get him away from the Giants(plus more I'd imagine).

If the Brewers can get a 5 to 10 prospect for Hill he should be traded immediately. Middlebrooks or Cecchini need to get a look. No Rivera, no Villar to 3B and Arcia up. A 1B or 3B prospect would be ideal. 1B Chris Shaw from the Giants sounds good.

I completely agree with the Middlebrooks and Cecchini curiosity and wanting them to get to Milwaukee but I'm wondering why you would be against Rivera coming up. I get if you mean you just wanna see someone new in the bigs and I'm all for that but I am almost just as curious what Yadiel could do with a significant number of at bats and defensive opportunities. A Villar, Arcia, Rivera infield will make the defensive minded fans drool.

For 3B:

For 2B:

Personal note...I will laugh at a team that trades for DJ Lemahieu and gives up any sort of value. The "All-Star" would have been sent down to the minors or made a utility man within the last few years by basically any other team in the league. He's improved in the last year or 2 to being probably a below average 2B (.685ish OPS), but washed up Aaron Hill is a way better hitter than DJ (.770 vs. .690 this year) and DJ will probably cost a lot more.

The Indians make a lot of sense for Aaron Hill. I wouldn't be shocked if they coughed up a package for both Lucroy and Hill. Maybe toss in a reliever and bring back a mega package.

Even though Yan Gomes isn't hitting, he's signed through 2019 and is handling the best rotation in the AL so I'm not sure if they'll want to mess that up even for a big offensive upgrade. Hill would seem to be an upgrade over Uribe who's been struggling. I could see Hill/Jeffress bringing back a decent return.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I agree that the Indians are a good spot for Hill. Uribe looks like he might be at the end of the line. Hill would be a solid fill in - nothing special, but solid.

The Indians are middle of the pack in the AL in offense, but with their top ranked pitching, that can take a you a long way. I'm sure they'd love Lucroy, but they aren't the type of team to make a big splash (but you never know).

Also, regarding Gomes - he's shown he's a better hitter than what he's producing - so I imagine the club is hoping he turns things around. He's only 28, so it's not like you would expect the guy to fall off a cliff. Plus, they could go a more simple (and cheaper) route and target a better back up to take some of the load off Gomes. The one exception to all of this is if Gomes is injured and not saying anything. If that's the case, a big move might be in order for them.

I'd love Clint Frazier - gingers rule!

Aaron Hill and Carlos Torres to the Indians for Mike Clevinger.

Getting Mike Clevinger from the Indians for Aaron Hill is my ideal trade. I highly doubt the Indians would bite on that like the Orioles did with Parra so I'd offer up a reliever as well. Jeffress or Smith would be an overpay but Carlos Torres is pitching good enough to probably pry Clevinger away.

@WiscoSportsNut

Getting Mike Clevinger from the Indians for Aaron Hill is my ideal trade. I highly doubt the Indians would bite on that like the Orioles did with Parra so I'd offer up a reliever as well. Jeffress or Smith would be an overpay but Carlos Torres is pitching good enough to probably pry Clevinger away.

Extremely unlikely that the Tribe deals Clevinger, let alone for Aaron Hill.

If you said Will Smith and another prospect for Clevinger and another piece , I could see the start of an interesting conversation...

If you said Will Smith and another prospect for Clevinger and another piece , I could see the start of an interesting conversation...

I agree it's unlikely but teams chasing the playoffs do questionable things this time of year. From the outside, Clevinger seems like an expendable piece because their rotation is full, he's old, has had TJ and struggled in his first trip to the majors. Barring an injury the Indians don't have any room in their rotation so his main value to the team is as a reliever.

I will always remember how the Cardinals traded Colby Rasmus to shore up their rotation (Edwin Jackson) along with their bullpen (Marc Rzepczynski / Octavio Dotel) and a replacement for Rasmus as a backup OF'er (Corey Patterson). I'm hoping the Brewers capitalize on the position they're in and package several expendable players together to bring back a higher regarded prospect. Players like Hill, Garza, Torres etc don't have much value by themselves but if you package enough of them together and maybe eat some salary they could get something interesting.

@WiscoSportsNut

I will always remember how the Cardinals traded Colby Rasmus to shore up their rotation (Edwin Jackson) along with their bullpen (Marc Rzepczynski / Octavio Dotel) and a replacement for Rasmus as a backup OF'er (Corey Patterson). I'm hoping the Brewers capitalize on the position they're in and package several expendable players together to bring back a higher regarded prospect. Players like Hill, Garza, Torres etc don't have much value by themselves but if you package enough of them together and maybe eat some salary they could get something interesting.

Rasmus was dealt because he didn't adhere to the Cardinal Way.

That and having a capable replacement on hand in John Jay.

@WiscoSportsNut

Garza still has negative trade value. Nothing he's done in his few starts has changed that. Adding him to a package of Hill and Torres would diminish the return.

The real opportunity for a significant return would be package that paired Hill and Jeffress if you can find a partner that needs infield and bullpen help. BTW, Hill has been increasing his value daily, much the way Parra did last year.

How about Adam Plutko for Hill/Torres? Plutko's been terrific in 2015 and 2016.

So....is it realistic that we could expect a similar return for Hill as to what we received last year for Parra? Both guys provide a lot of versatility (Parra in the OF, Hill in the IF), both having very strong years, both appear to be good clubhouse veterans and both are basically just a 2-3 month rental. Davies is considered by most a 4/5 type starting pitcher without the big fastball, so is it conceivable that we could get another SP that is comparable for Hill? Or, does Stearns prefer to get a couple of lower-level 19-20 year old lottery picks (Herrera/Peralta types) for Hill?

Archived