TV lineup for the weekend of 5/5/06

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Saturday, 5/6/06

Maryland @ Boston College

FCSA, noon

Can't tell you much about this one.

Florida @ Mississippi State

FCSC, 2 pm

Again, Florida on TV, Mississippi State is one of the better teams in the nation.

South Carolina @ Georgia

FCSA, 3 pm

A good SEC rivalry, South Carolina is once again one of the teams to beat.

Washington @ Oregon State

FCSP, 3 pm

Too bad this isn't Friday's night's tilt between Lincecum & Buck.

Cal @ Stanford

FCSP, 6 pm

Like the game above, too bad this isn't Friday's matchup of Morrow vs. Reynolds.

Sunday, 5/7/06

Florida State @ Wake Forest

FCSA, noon

Who cares, we'll be playing softball http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif . FSU has been well covered like the Gators this year, Wake has Matt Antonelli.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Player updates for the weekend of 5/5/06

Happy cinco de Mayo...Andrew Miller, Daniel Bard and Ian Kennedy will all be off this weekend as their teams have no games scheduled. Max Scherzer on the flip side is expected to return to the mound for Missouri tomorrow (Saturday) against Mississippi Valley State.

This weekend featured two really good Pac-10 matchups:

Brandon Morrow

8.1 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 11 K, 0 BB vs. Stanford

Greg Reynolds

9 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 4 K, 2 BB vs. Cal

Morrow and Reynolds squared off against one another, and both tossed a complete game to start the series off. Morrow got tagged for a game winning hit in the 9th to take the loss, but he managed not to walk a batter. Reynolds kept his walks down per usual, but the Ks are still down too. This game was likely swarmed with scouts & SDs.

Tim Lincecum

8 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 16 K, 5 BB vs. Oregon State

Dallas Buck

7.1 IP, 6 H, 6 R (5 ER), 7 K, 3 BB vs. Washington

I don't know why, but I got a shiver down my spine thinking about this game. Lincecum hands Buck his first loss of the year (9-1), and despite giving up 4 Beaver runs, Lincecum strikes out an amazing 16 batters over 8 innings of work.

Brad Lincoln

7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 10 K, 2 BB (122 pitches) vs. Central Florida

Not as sexy of a matchup, but Lincoln with another fine performance.

Jared Hughes

6 IP, 9 H, 7 R (5 ER), 6 K, 1 BB vs. Cal Poly

Once again Hughes gives up more runs than you would like to see despite not getting knocked around.

Max Scherzer

6 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 7 K, 2 BB (89 pitches) vs. Mississippi Valley State

Scherzer returns to duty with a strong outing.

Josh Butler

6.2 IP, 11 H, 6 R (4 ER), 8 K, 1 BB vs. Santa Clara

Butler hasn't been as sharp lately as he was to open the season, but his peripherals are still strong.

I'll tell you what I know. There isn't a whole lot of professional talent on the Panthers, and I haven't been out to see them this year.

Senior outfielder Mike Goetz is the name to watch on UWM. He currently is leading the entire nation in hitting (.527) and on-base percentage (.608) . He's second in hits (88) and third in OPS (1.327). That performance alone will draw attention. He currently plays center, but could end up at second base, a position he has played before.

Grant Berkovitz is a slick-fielding shortstop, although he's not draft-eligible until next year.

Rob Brockel is a big power hitting 3B from Marquette HS that went to Purdue originally out of HS.

Tim Hoy is a left-handed pitcher with some promise. He's only a freshman.

Interesting that of all of their players with at least 100 ABs, they are all hitting above .300. Their pitching is another story.

Edit: accidental emoticons

Some good TV games this weekend (all Saturday games except the last one, FL/AL):

Tennessee @ South Carolina: ESPN, 11 am

North Carolina @ Virginia: FCSA, noon

Arkansas @ Ole Miss: FCSA, 3 pm

Mississippi St. @ Kentucky: FCSA, 6 pm

USC @ UCLA: FCSP, 6:30 pm

David Huff should start for UCLA in this one

Florida @ Alabama: FCSA, 1 pm

Watch Brewers' DFE candidate Spencer Pennington in this one

Player results, weekend of 5/12/06:

Andrew Miller

6.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (1 ER), 8 K, 2 BB vs. Virginia

Not a bad start, but Miller took the loss in game one vs. the Cavaliers

Brad Lincoln

9 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 9 K, 2 BB vs. Rice

Lincoln tosses a dandy vs. Eddie Degerman, Lincoln is now 11-1, Degerman 9-1

Greg Reynolds

9 IP, 8 H, 0 R, 9 K, 1 BB vs. Washington

Reynolds picked a great time to toss a CG shutout, as me matched up vs. Tim Lincecum, no doubt in front of a throng of scouts

Tim Lincecum

7 IP 10 H, 4 R (3 ER), 5 K, 2 BB vs. Stanford

Lincecum looks human in this game, and he only walked two!

Daniel Bard

3.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R (2 ER), 3 K, 3 BB

Back to another lackluster start for Bard, as Virginia takes two of three from the Tar Heels

David Huff

9 IP, 11 H, 3 ER, 4 K, 1 BB vs. USC

Most of the damage came early against Huff, who settled down and cruised vs. USC

Ian Kennedy

6 IP, 6 H, 2 R (0 ER), 7 K, 4 BB vs. UCLA

Kennedy's best start in months...probably too little, too late

Joba Chamberlain

7.1 IP, 8 H, 6 R (4 ER), 12 K, 2 BB vs. Baylor

Love the Ks, but got knocked around against Big 12 rival

Jared Hughes

3.2 IP, 10 H, 6 R (4 ER), 0 K, 1 BB vs. UC Santa Barbara

Easily Hughes' worst line of the year

Josh Butler

6.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R (2 ER), 6 K, 3 BB vs. Gonzaga

Butler as kind of levelled off since his hot start

Max Scherzer

7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 4 K, 3 BB vs. Texas Tech

Second consecutive solid start for Scherzer since return from injury

Player observations, weekend of 5/12/06:

I already added a few thoughts on the Tennessee/South Carolina thread. I'm going to keep my thoughts brief, as most of the guys I saw aren't eligible for this year's draft.

Josh Horton

The UNC SS continues to hit extremely well while anchoring UNC's D'. If he were eligible this year he probably would be considered for the top 15 picks. Good overall athlete with good tools across the board. Reminds me a lot of Bill Spiers.

David Adams

Virginia's 2B, should have been drafted a lot earlier than he was last year as a draft-eligible prep given his bat. He's going to be a name to watch over the next couple of years.

Sean Doolittle

Doolittle and Adams make up arguable the best right-side of the infield in all of college baseball. Doolittle is eligible in '07, but he could be taken as a LHP. I didn't see him pitch (he out-dueled Andrew Miller on Friday night) but I liked what I saw from his bat on Saturday. Very good power potential from a naturally gifted hitter.

Dave Huff

If you missed it, check the replays from the UCLA/USC game from Saturday night, as Dave Huff pitched a dandy, and is a pure joy to watch. He may just be my favorite for the Brewers' first-round pick, even if I know they'll never take him. I have compared him to Barry Zito before (something John Manuel did recently in a BA draft chat, but I can honestly claim that I beat that comp by a few months), and the comp sticks since seeing him pitch. He doesn't have Zito's classic curve, but he has the same knowledge of pitching and an equally impressive out-pitch in a refined changeup. His curveball still is a pretty good pitch, and he's consistently 88-90 on the gun. I have a hard time imagining Huff not being successful as a pro, and he should be taken in the top 15-30 picks.

TV schedule for this week/weekend, and a game to look ahead to over Memorial Day weekend:

Miami @ Georgia Tech

All three games of this series are tentatively scheduled to be on FCSA on Thursday (6 pm), Friday (6 PM) and Saturday (noon). Plenty of talent to watch in this 3-game set.

Arizona @ Arizona State

A rare Friday night tilt televised between conference and in-state rivals. Friday, 5/19, FCSP, 9 pm.

Saturday games

LSU @ Florida: FCSA, 3 pm

NC ST. @ Florida State: FCSA, 6 pm

NEXT WEEK

Cal State Fullerton @ Long Beach State

This game will be televised on CSTV on Friday, May 26th. Tune in to watch a great pitching match between a potential first-round draft pick for this year (LBSU's Jared Hughes) and a potential first-round pick for next year's draft (Wes Roemer).

On top of this game, Memorial Day weekend kicks off many of the conference tournaments, with games from the Big 12, SEC, ACC, WCC and MVC tentatively scheduled to be televised.

Quote:
David Adams

Virginia's 2B, should have been drafted a lot earlier than he was last year as a draft-eligible prep given his bat. He's going to be a name to watch over the next couple of years.

I told you last year that I thought Adams was the best prep bat available. He's making me feel pretty good about that assessment.

I would have liked to see the Brewers take a shot on him, but I think signability was a concern out of the top 3-4 rounds or so.

Cal State Fullerton @ Long Beach State

This game will be televised on CSTV on Friday, May 26th. Tune in to watch a great pitching match between a potential first-round draft pick for this year (LBSU's Jared Hughes) and a potential first-round pick for next year's draft (Wes Roemer).

I keep thinking I should go see this one...Fullerton/Dirtbag series are always worth watching, and there are always future major leaguers on the field.

I told you last year that I thought Adams was the best prep bat available. He's making me feel pretty good about that assessment.

Trust me, I was listening, as my PG boss told me the exact same thing too. If I were a scouting director (or even a scout for that matter) I would focus on a player's ability to hit and pitch in the true sense of their meaning as opposed to finding out who throws the hardest and runs the fastest. Adams can hit, and how he ended up at Virginia is beyond me, unless he was asking for $3 million out of HS, which I hear is not the case.

SoCal, you got to check out the LBSU/Fullerton game, and not even for my own selfish intentions http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .

Roemer (of CSUF) won vs. Cal Poly tonight (5/19), going 8-1/3, giving up 4 ER, delivering 9Ks, 0 walks. He's now 10-1. He threw 121 pitches tonight, more than he has all year as we lost our closer Pestano. Lefty Ryan Paul came in in the 9th and got the save (whew). Long Beach lost tonight to UCR, starter Carpenter giving up 6 runs, 5 of them earned. Let's hope he does the same against CSUF next week. It will be telecast on CSTV.

It's interesting that LBSU shuffled their rotation vs. UCR, with Carpenter on Friday and Hughes planned for Sunday. I wonder what they'll do vs. CSUF...though it doesn't look like they'll be playing for the conference title, LBSU always plays Fullerton hard and they may well have a NCAA riding on the series.

ThatPhenom'sMom, do you have a personal connection to CSUF?

The Hughes "demotion" seemed to work perfectly, as he had by far his best start of the year today vs. Riverside.

Jared Hughes

9 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 13 K, 0 BB vs. UC Riverside

Keep your fingers crossed that he gets bumped back up to the Friday starter for the tilt vs. Roemer & Fullerton this coming Friday

Andrew Miller

8 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 11 K, 4 BB vs. Boston College

Miller became UNC's all-time K leader

Daniel Bard

7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 4 K, 2 BB vs. Boston College

David Huff

6.2 IP, 8 H, 5 R (4 ER), 6 K, 1 BB vs. Stanford

Greg Reynolds

6 IP, 10 H, 7 R (6 ER), 3 K, 1 BB vs. UCLA

Max Scherzer

7 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 8 K, 4 BB vs. Texas

Ian Kennedy

6.1 IP, 7 H, 7 R (4 ER), 8 K, 2 BB vs. Wichita State

Joba Chamberlain

5.1 IP, 9 H, 2 ER, 4 K, 2 BB vs. Oklahoma

Tim Lincecum

7 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 11 K, 5 BB vs. Pacific

Josh Butler, Brad Lincoln and Brandon Morrow were all off as their regular seasons ended last week and are waiting for their respective conference playoff series' to begin.

The "demotion" in fact did work well and now has Jared lined up to throw next Sunday in what could be a very important game for regionals. The extra two days rest was evident. Hughes was 89-92 with his 2-seamer, and 92-94 with the 4-seamer. The slider was biting and topped at 83. His curve ball was as good as it has been all year. 11 ground ball outs to 3 fly ball outs, 2 of which were soft liners to the infield. It was a good outing after 2 outings where he looked tired. It also helps now for a lot of players that school is over, no more exams.

College pitcher update for the week of 5/22/06

Ian Kennedy

6.1 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 8 K, 4 BB vs. Arizona

Another ugly outing for Kennedy

Brandon Morrow

3.1 IP, 7 H, 5 R (4 ER), 1 K, 3 BB vs. Arizona State

Morrow's shortest outing of the year, he hasn't been as sharp lately after starting 7-0

Brad Lincoln

8 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 6 K, 1 BB vs. East Carolina

Steady as they go for Lincoln all spring

Andrew Miller

6 IP, 6 H, 7 R (5 ER), 4 K, 5 BB vs. NC State

Miller gets knocked around in ACC tourney

Max Scherzer

7 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 5 K, 0 BB vs. Oklahoma

A very sharp outing for Scherzer, whose stock is back on the rise

Greg Reynolds

9 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 9 K, 1 BB vs. UC Davis

Another solid outing for Reynolds, who seems to be solidifying an early pick

Tim Lincecum

9 IP, 8 H, 3 R (1 ER), 14 K, 2 BB vs. Washington State

Nice to see fewer walks from Lincecum later this spring, although the overall totals are still way too high

Joba Chamberlain

7 IP, 9 H, 4 ER, 7 K, 1 BB vs. Texas Tech

Not the prettiest of lines, but not awful either

Jared Hughes

3.1 IP, 8 H, 7 R (6 ER), 1 K, 3 BB vs. Cal State Fullerton

Unfortunately Hughes doesn't build on the success from his start the weekend before

I know he isnt eligible for this year's draft, but I was able to catch Wes Roemer's shutout against LBSU. His stuff doesnt blow you away, but he gets good movement on his pitches and has remarkable control. His arm action isnt pretty; reminds me of Jake Peavy. He should definitely be considered a first rounder next year.

It was certainly a dissapointing weekend for LBSU. In my humble opinion, the team just looked tired. They were not sharp in any phase of the game. Hughes was not himself. Maybe 135 pitches last week just didn't leave enough in the tank for this week. It was a long season with a young team. Longoria, Hughes, and Carpenter will all go high in the draft.

Gagne, read a few pages above for some thoughts from a few people on Roemer. He'll definitely be an early pick next year.

CalNiner, with Longoria, Hughes and Carpenter all projected to be drafted high, where does that leave LBSU for next year? I know they always have a fair amount of JC transfers (all 3 of the guys above transferred from other schools), but from following the team this year I'm not so sure I have that sense of confience for the next wave of players.

www.cstv.com/championship...ex_bb.html

anyone who missed the game but would like to see some highlights of the Friday guy (Roemer) can paste into the browser or click on the above, scrolll down a bit and watch "Strike Out Power." It also shows a lot of Carpenter. I don't know how long that little clip will be there so I wouldn't wait a long time.

CJ,

The core of freshmen that should be back have a lot of potential. The question will be pitching, and how these guys develop in the next year. I personally like Andre Lamontagne, Bryan Shaw and Vance Worley as a good basis to build on. Position players that saw a lot of action are Danny Espinosa at SS, and Shane Peterson at LF/1B/P. They will need to bring in an arm or two to really contend next year. Good group of players this year, just young and inexperienced.

By the way, Penomsmom, I am very impressed with Wes' competitive spirit.

Archived