Brewer Fanatic

College Baseball 2006

While spring training may not start for another couple of months, the college baseball season is set to kick off at the end of this month, and will really gear up in February. Baseball America has kicked of it's college coverage with their first top 25 ranking:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...top25.html

And you can enjoy a chat transcript with BA's college analyst Will Kimmey:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...105wk.html

From this link you can download their college preview as a PDF, which includes a story on Florida's 1B Matt LaPorta (who I profiled in the player breakdown thread) as well as their preseason All-American teams.

Here's hoping the Fox College Sports Networks, ESPN U and CSTV continues their fine college TV coverage from a year ago. Unfortunately, we're not likely to see many, if any, games until March. You can still tune in to online broadcasts, many of which require a paid subscription, but there are still a few out there that can be accessed free of charge (Cal State Fullerton and Long Beach State both provided free online broadcasts last season).

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coaching legend Rod Dedeaux has passed away at the age of 91. He was USC's Head Coach for 45 seasons, winning 11 titles during that time. I bring it up because BA has a picture of him with Geoff Jenkins, who played at USC (not for Dedeaux).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images2005/coach145100.jpg

BA's online coverage of college baseball officially kicks off, as they break down their top 25 teams, officially post their preseason All-American teams and offer their interesting facts and figures for the '06 season (the top 25 breakdowns are for subscribers only:

BA: Top 25 capsules (subscribers)

BA: Preseason All-Americans

BA: College baseball '06 By the Numbers

BA: 2006 College baseball preview schedule

Kyle McCulloch & Drew Stubbs

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images2005/texastwo450350sm.jpg

For Katuluu and others in the Twin Cities, the DQ Classic, the annual 3-day, 4-team tourney the Gophers host at the Metrodome every year, is scheduled for March 3-5 (Friday-Sunday). Arizona, Nebraska and Notre Dame will be the three teams traveling to Minneapolis to be a part of the tournament. Due to baby timing, I won't be able to attend this year, but I wish could, as all three teams have intriguing draft-eligible players.

Some college baseball on TV this week, kind of. CSTV, channel 118 for Time Warner Cable subscribers, is airing USC's media day, a 2-hour program, starting on Wednesday with multiple re-broadcasts throughout this week and next. I check Yahoo to get my TV listings:

tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?d=tvp&...p;.intl=us

USC is a preseason top-25 ranked team according to BA, led by staff ace Ian Kennedy.

BA continues their coverage with breakdowns of the North Region conference breakdowns (the Big Ten and Horizon League-UWM-will be covered in the Midwest breakdowns on Wednesday). The conference previews and top 50 freshman list are for subscribers only, but I can tell you that Jemile Weeks check in as the 25th best freshman, the only former Brewer draftee on that list.

www.baseballamerica.com/t...eview.html

For everyone to enjoy, there is a breakdown of Pitt's Jim Negrych:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...grych.html

Brewers '05 draftee Andrew Bailey was named the Northeast Conference's top prospect:

With a fastball that has registered in the 92-95 mph range, Wagner RHP Andrew Bailey (3-2, 3.46) might have been the Northeast?s best draft a year ago, but he worked just 42 innings before having Tommy John surgery. He was still drafted in the 16th round by the Brewers and could go higher this year if he responds.

BA continues their college coverage with a look at Missouri's ace RHP Max Scherzer:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...erzer.html

Get used to hearing his name and seeing this face (picture below), as the only thing holding him back from being one of the top 2-3 picks this June is his rumored affiliation with Scott Boras.

They also offered their top 50 sophomore list. Tulane RHP Sean Morgan, an '04 25th rounder by the Brewers, was the 17th best soph, and the only former Brewers draftee on the list (there are several former Dodger draftees, including two of the top three). Next year should be a special draft year given some of the college players that will be available.

Since the Midwest was covered, I can tell you that UWM is projected by BA to finish second within the Horizon League, with UIC projected to finish first. UIC has Madison native and former Brewers draft pick Ryan Zink (the league's preseason pitcher of the year) as their staff ace, as well as Brookfield Central alum Ryan Schweikert, a transfer.

UWM had four players represented in the league's preseason All-Conference team:

Sophomore SS Grant Berkovitz

Senior OF Joe Nowicki (who nearly led the league in triple crown categories last year)

Senior DH Zak Rivera

Junior RHP Aaron Sorenson

Here's a handy link to UWM's baseball site if you want to check out the roster, schedule, etc. to plan your spring http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif :

uwmpanthers.collegesports...-body.html

This is probably the first year in a while that Minnesota isn't ranked as one of the top two teams in the Big Ten to open the season. Ohio State is number one, as they usually battle for the Big Ten crown with Minnesota, with Purdue number two. The Gophers do have the league's best prospect in LHP John Gaub. Gaub is expected to move from the bullpen to the weekend rotation, and brings heat from the left-side as he's routinely clocked at 90-94 mph. Look for Katuluu to get excited about this Gopher this spring, as he struck out 102 batters in 63 innings as a sophomore.

Max Scherzer

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images2005/mscherzer450350ra.jpg

is there anyplace i can find a schedule of all the ESPN televised college baseball games this year?

Check ESPN's site to see if they list their programming. Same goes for CSTV or the Fox regional channels (ESPN actually airs the fewest amount of games compared to those channels). Their schedule may not even be formalized yet. What I normally do is check Yahoo's TV listings to see what is on within the next two weeks. College baseball usually doesn't get much TV until March or April, and it definitely ramps up after college basketball.

BA looks at UNC's weekend rotation today. Pogo, I know you expressed interest in seeing these guys before since you're now in the UNC area:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...19unc.html

Daniel Bard, Andrew Miller and Robert Woodard

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images2005/unctrio450350jc.jpg

Woodard is a righty that maxes out at 90 mph. I agree that his control & moxie are interesting, but we've talked before about how rare it is to find a successful, soft-tossing RHP. He likely will continue to put up big numbers for UNC, but I'm skeptical of his future success as a pro, and I do typically value pitchability over velocity.

I've talked up Ian Kennedy before, so now it's up to someone else:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...nnedy.html

In this story, it is confirmed that Scott Boras is his advisor. He is my favorite draft eligible prospect throwing that aside, and while he doesn't have the greatest size nor the most overpowering of stuff, I guarantee you will fall in love with the way this guy pitches.

There's also a nice story on Oregon State. As much love as the pitchers from UNC get, OSU has quite the trio themselves:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...state.html

And the top 50 seniors were released. Last year's 16th round pick, Andrewy Bailey, a RHP that returned to Wagner despite having TJ surgery, checks in at #34, while West Bend (I think it is West Bend) native Ryan Rohlinger checks in at #42.

Ian Kennedy

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images2005/ikennedy450350.jpg

I don't think that's a split. The finger wide of the baseball that you see I believe is the finger next to the pinkie (whatever that finger is called). A splitter is thrown between your index & middle finger.

That looks more like a changeup grip to me.

BA always seems to save the South and the SEC for last. We're going to be hearing a lot about Matt LaPorta this spring:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...porta.html

Jim Callis has his annual "what if?" All-American team, looking at what the team might look like had all of the high school players from the past 1-3 years attended college:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...allis.html

Matt LaPorta

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images2005/mlaporta450350.jpg

As BA's college preview winds down, there's not too much to share concerning the small colleges & JC's. Their feature story is on Jeff Maier, who is the guy who interfered with a ball in play in the 1996 ALCS.

DFE candidate Tim Smith was named to the preseason JC All-American team as an outfielder, after he hit .468 with 8 HRs & 55 RBIs a year ago, but he was not named as one of the top prospects from the junior colleges.

Waukesha native Tyler Beranek was also named to the team after transferring to Lake City CC (FL) from UNLV. Speaking of Lake City, they are listed as the preseason 7th best JC in the nation, which is of interest since DFE candidate Stephen Barnes fronts their rotation (Brookfield native Brandon Hall is also on the team). St. Petersburg College (FL) won the Florida JC tourney last year, and are listed as the #2 preseason JC in the nation. DFE candidate Ulrich Snijders, a catcher, attends St. Petersburg.

The college baseball season starts today, with just a couple of games ticketed for the weekend. Check out BA's college weekend preview:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...eview.html

EDIT: I want to point out that Jemile Weeks started his collegiate career by going 2-3 with a run, a double and a HBP in his collegiate debut versus Florida International. Jon Jay, whom I recently profiled, went 2-2 with a walk, a HBP and a grand slam. I'm telling you, watch Jay this year...

BA's college early draft preview is up on their homepage today. All of the college-related features are subscriber based, but here's a nice picture of Andrew Miller:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/images2005/amiller450350mw.jpg

I pointed out an exciting matchup that took place last night between USC and Long Beach State on another thread, a matchup that included two potential first-round picks: RHPs Ian Kennedy and Jared Hughes.

Hughes ran into trouble early, walking three batters in the first inning, walking one batter in with the bases loaded (two of which reached via a walk). He gave up a total of 2 runs in the first inning, but didn't give up another run (or walk) over his final 5 innings.

For a while it seemed as though those 2 runs would be enough for USC with Ian Kennedy on the mound. However, fog rolled in, and proved to be costly as three runs scored in the 6th on two misplayed pop-ups to the OF, both of which fell for base hits (one a two-run double, the other a RBI single).

Here are there final lines:

Jared Hughes:

6 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 K, 3 BB

Ian Kennedy:

6 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 7 K, 1 BB

Here's Kennedy's line if those pop-ups would have been recorded as they should had (or had been recorded as errors):

6 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 7 K, 1 BB

Hughes got the win and Kennedy took the hard-luck loss. These things happen, and I'm sure the ball will bounce the other way for each of these young men before the season is through.

Brandon Morrow had an incredible performance for Cal vs. UC Irvine last night. Morrow is now Cal's Friday starter despite being projected as a closer with a 97-99 fastball and deadly split. He enjoyed a breakout performance last summer on the Cape despite not performing very well at Cal his first two years:

6.1 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 12 K, 1 BB

RHP Jared Hughes is part of another intriguing matchup this Friday facing RHP Brandon Morrow of Cal. Check Morrow's line in the post just above to see how dominating he was last weekend, and he already may be considered the player with the most helium this spring (although he already was considered a mid-first-round pick).

You can listen to the game free of charge at 3:30 pm CST on Friday, 2/10/06 via Long Beach State's website:

www.longbeachstate.com/gen/thisweek.html

Hughes will face yet another nationally known staff ace in two weeks when RHP and Madison native Ryan Zink and UIC travel West to face the Dirtbags. Ricky Romero was my favorite pitcher to listen in on last year, a position Hughes will likely take on my spring Friday's this year.

Missouri RHP Max Scherzer was supposed to get the ball today as Missouri's season began vs. East Tennesse State. Apparently Scherzer cut a finger on his throwing hand Tuesday (his hand got caught in a door), and has been scratched for the weekend. Scherzer is a guy I think many are anxious to see what he can do after a dominant performance during his sophomore year followed by an equally dominant showing for Team USA. Like Morrow, Scherzer is regularly clocked in the upper-90s, and both have to prove their secondary stuff is legit to be considered starters down the road.

Here are a few of the more interesting pitching lines so far from the weekend:

Ian Kennedy, vs. Florida International

7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 10 K, 2 BB

Kennedy keeps on striking batters out like he has his entire career.

Jared Hughes, vs. Cal

4.1 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 1 K, 3 BB

Brandon Morrow, vs. Long Beach St.

5 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 1 K, 2 BB

Both Hughes and Morrow had rather suspect performances against one another, although it should be noted both teams are very good at scoring runs.

Dallas Buck, vs. Nevada

5 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 9 K, 4 BB

Buck continues to walk too many despite being dominant.

Kyle McCulloch, vs. Rice

7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 9 K, 3 BB

McCulloch out-duels LHP Joe Savery, one of the top '07 prospects.

Brad Lincoln, vs. Texas Tech

7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 9 K, 1 BB

A very impressive debut for Lincoln, who like Morrow, really put his name in consideration for the first round last summer on the Cape.

Greg Reynolds, vs. Kansas

6 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 9 K, 0 BB

Reynolds now as a 12:0 K:BB ratio in 12.2 IP this season. His name gets somewhat lost in the shuffle, but few college pitchers have the upside Reynolds does, with great size and stuff, but with inconsistent results leading into his junior season.

Remember the name Matt Mangini. He was named the Northwoods League top prospect last summer despite getting only 31 ABs at NC State as a freshman. He started the season going 11 for 13, and went 9 for 12 over this past weekend. Overall he's hitting .800 so far over 25 ABs. He's a big kid at 6'4", 225 pounds, with a powerful left-handed swing and good overall athleticism. Look for him to develop into the next Alex Gordon at the hot corner, although he's not available until the 2007 draft.

TV note: The first TV game is scheduled for next Saturday, 2/18, at 10:30 pm (Florida @ Miami) on Fox College Sports Atlantic, with a few replays already scheduled. Check out Matt LaPorta, Brian Jerolman, Jon Jay & Chris Perez, all of whom could be taken in the first two rounds of this June's draft.

Archived