Brewer Fanatic

Baserunning and the Shift

So, last night, Ramon Flores is on second base. First and third are unoccupied. There are no outs. The Giants are playing up the middle (Brian and Bill called it a shift, but it looked more like "shading" to me), so the shortstop is between Flores (post-lead) and second base. Pressley, pinch-hitting, hits a ground ball up the middle (behind Flores). Flores runs. The shortstop fields, spins, throws to third, and Flores is toast.

I have two questions arising from this:

1) In that situation, isn't it better for Flores to retreat to the bag, screening the shortstop and maybe being hit by the ball (after all, if he's struck while standing on the bag, he's not out, right?)? This would obviously take some quick thinking, but if the fielders are shading up the middle, it might help Pressley reach.

2) Are there other situations where baserunning strategy should or could be optimized based on where the fielders are initially positioned? I can see, for example, a second and third scenario where the runner on second retreats to the bag on a ground ball up the middle too, making any throw home or to first really tricky.

Not sure it makes much difference in the end, but I was thinking about it.

Where fielders are should be a part of baserunning, but it's hard for a baserunner to know exactly where a fielder is (if he's peeking at the fielder, he's ripe for a pickoff)

Second base is no-man's land where you can't really hear the coach to begin with.

He absolutely should've gone back to 2B, as, you know, you NEVER make the first (or last) out at 3B.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I didn't see the play so I don't know the exact situation but for a runner on second that is not forced to go, you're generally going to go on a ball hit to your left. The shortstop is most likely moving to his left making a play where he has to throw the ball in the opposite direction he's going quite difficult. Now if the shortstop was position right behind the bag that's an easy play for him but that's not where the shortstop usually plays.

I honestly think Crawford just made a great play. When that ball was hit the only thing I was thinking of was if he was going to be able to get Presley out at 1st. Not once did it cross my mind that he was going to throw it to 3rd base until the second he did it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I saw the play and, honestly, Crawford made a great play (as others have noted).

Flores hesitated slightly, but a ball hit behind him is going to get him to 3B the vast majority of the time.

The shift does present an issue - old rules may not always apply and teams need to be smart. In this case, I think Flores is safe most of the time by going. He did the right thing. Just a great play by Crawford.

after all, if he's struck while standing on the bag, he's not out, right.

Wrong, he is out if he is hit by a balled ball, the only exception is if you are hit by an infield fly coming straight down on your head while you are standing on the base.

What happens if the runner is hit by a ball that ricochets off the bag and the runner is in foul territory. The base runner is not out since they were in foul territory but is the play just dead and is counted as a foul ball or does the batter get rewarded the base and the runner has to go back to the base they were on.

For example if a ball hits the third base bag and then ricochets back and hits the runner in foul territory.

Aha.

I was wondering if the bag was "safe," but was too lazy to look it up.

Thanks for clarifying, Topper.

I also found this page, which links to the rulebook itself: http://umpirebible.com/rules/runnerHit.htm#batted

I was also interested in the tidbit about the runner NOT being out if he's struck by a batted ball after it passes an infielder other than the pitcher. For example, if the infield is in and the ball passes through the shortstop's legs to strike a runner moving to third, the ball remains live and the runner isn't out.

This doesn't apply to the Flores situation (I agree with others; it was a great play), but it is an odd detail.

Unfortunately, this doesn't address the "ball of the bag" scenario, but since it's still a live, batted ball, I would guess the runner is out in fair territory and it's a "play on" in foul territory. Anyone else know for sure?

Wrong, he is out if he is hit by a balled ball, the only exception is if you are hit by an infield fly coming straight down on your head while you are standing on the base.

In all the baseball/softball leagues that I have umped, you are not out if you are on the bag and get hit with a batted ball, unless you intentionally make contact with the ball. Of course, I have never umped in the major leagues, so I am not positive on their rules. It would also be a very rare occurrence with leadoffs.

Edit: According to the rulebook posted earlier, it looks like he would be out.

In all the baseball/softball leagues that I have umped, you are not out if you are on the bag and get hit with a batted ball, unless you intentionally make contact with the ball. Of course, I have never umped in the major leagues, so I am not positive on their rules. It would also be a very rare occurrence with leadoffs.

Edit: According to the rulebook posted earlier, it looks like he would be out.

Intent means nothing. And I've never heard of a league or level that plays by that rule. Just this year one of my JV kids got hit with the ball while baserunning because he was too fat/slow/stupid to get out of the way and was immediately called out.

I also always thought you were okay if you stayed on the bag.

I didn't know that either, so I went to the official rulebook as I don't think that is correct. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2016/official_baseball_rules.pdf

On page 46, it states: He is touched by a fair ball in fair territory before the ball has touched or passed an infielder. The ball is dead and no runner may score, nor runners advance, except runners forced to advance. EXCEPTION: If a runner is touching his base when touched by an Infield Fly, he is not out, although the batter is out; If a runner is touched by an Infield Fly when he is not touching his base, both the runner and batter are out.

On page 61 it states: Rule 6.01(a) Penalty for Interference Comment (Rule 7.08(b)

Comment): A runner who is adjudged to have hindered a

fielder who is attempting to make a play on a batted ball is out

whether it was intentional or not.

If, however, the runner has contact with a legally occupied base

when he hinders the fielder, he shall not be called out unless, in

the umpire’s judgment, such hindrance, whether it occurs on

fair or foul territory, is intentional. If the umpire declares the

hindrance intentional, the following penalty shall apply: With

less than two out, the umpire shall declare both the runner and

batter out. With two out, the umpire shall declare the batter

out.

So it appears to be judgment of the umpire. If a runner is stealing 2nd base and slides safely into the base and a ground ball is then hit up the middle and hits him, he could be safe as long as he didn't do something like reach his hand out to touch the ball.

Or in the case where a runner is standing on 3rd base and a rocket of a line drive hits the runner while standing on base, I would believe him to be safe as well.

Archived