Brewer Fanatic

Upcoming schedule - 22 of 24 games against winning teams

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Brewers next 24 games leading up the all star break include 22 games against teams with winning records, including the Dodgers, Giants, Cardinals and Nats (we play 2 games against the A's as well). All four of those teams are either winning their division or in second place. 15 of the 24 games are on the road.

We've inched within 3 games of .500, but this upcoming stretch is going to be a killer. We're certainly better than we were a couple of months ago, but it's going to be pretty harsh. Let's hope the guys just can come out still standing when all is said and done.

Here's hoping for a 14-10 stretch heading into the break a game above .500!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I hope a bunch of guys play well overall but at different times and we get buried in the standings.

Yeah, I hate to say it but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for the team to come into the All-Star break with a poor record. I still have a big fear that they will go off their plan to build a winning franchise and chase the playoffs for one year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I hope a bunch of guys play well overall but at different times and we get buried in the standings.

Yeah, I hate to say it but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for the team to come into the All-Star break with a poor record. I still have a big fear that they will go off their plan to build a winning franchise and chase the playoffs for one year.

That would be horrific if they decided not to trade guys, but I have no doubts Stearns will continue the path towards the rebuild..

I don't think there is anyway they do something to try and win this year. Maybe they hold out on trading Lucroy because they don't get the offer they are looking for, but I don't think they hold him because they are playing well.

I hope they keep playing well, but wins and losses don't matter too much to me.

I'd much rather follow a team that wins more games than they lose.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I don't think this team is particularly good, so I'm not expecting a lot the next month, and I certainly don't think we are going to fool anyone (including our GM) that we are competing for the Wild Card. But I'd love to see guys progress. If Davies or Anderson or whomever gets shelled every time they go out on the mound, it's not helping us long term. I want Davies to prove he can be a solid member of the rotation. I want Perez to show he can keep hitting. I want Broxton to show he can be a major leaguer.

If guys do good, we'll win our share of games. That's a sign that players like Davies and Anderson or whomever are stepping up and making themselves part of our next winning club.

I'm less concerned about guys like Nieuwenhuis , Presley, Torres or Aaron Hill - I know what those guys are. They aren't part of the future, so I'm not so concerned about how they perform.

In the end, I don't think we are good enough to win a lot games. But it's a tough stretch and it'll be a good challenge for the players.

Looks like a great chance to showcase our trade talent to some potential buyers in person and in their own ballparks.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Baseball can be a strange game. Hopefully the next month gets real strange in a good way.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't see any way they chase the playoffs this year. I think they'll kind of treat it like the Twins did recently when they were somehow in the playoff race but knew it was a fluke and they had no shot at a title so didn't chase it and stayed the rebuild course. Maybe Houston should have done the same instead of the Gomez and Kazmir trades too.

It would make it harder to trade Lucroy and obviously you get a lower pick in the draft, but if that lower pick is on the back of young guys doing well, that's a good thing generally for the future. I think it would just kick the Lucroy trade to the offseason instead of the deadline, but I wouldn't call it chasing the playoffs.

I don't see any way they chase the playoffs this year. I think they'll kind of treat it like the Twins did recently when they were somehow in the playoff race but knew it was a fluke and they had no shot at a title so didn't chase it and stayed the rebuild course. Maybe Houston should have done the same instead of the Gomez and Kazmir trades too.

I am absolutely not advocating veering off course of the rebuild, but Houston was 3 outs away from the ALCS. They've got guys this year that are just flat out not performing.

Do people care about winning this year? I don't care about wins or losses.. Just want to see the guys play well, especially the trade chips..

Competitors care about winning every year. Guys play well, you win. Guys don't play well you lose, fans lose interest and all the sunny talk about what 2019, or 2022 or what is it now? 2025? is just that, sunny talk and an excuse for not putting a major league product on the field for fans paying major league prices. It's as simple as that. Every season has value. Every single one.

Amen to that. My favorite Brewer team of all time was not the 82 team or the 08 team. It was the 79 team, with the 78 team a close second. Those teams won a lot but didn't make the postseason. That didn't make those seasons any less enjoyable or memorable.

Do people care about winning this year? I don't care about wins or losses.. Just want to see the guys play well, especially the trade chips..

Competitors care about winning every year. Guys play well, you win. Guys don't play well you lose, fans lose interest and all the sunny talk about what 2019, or 2022 or what is it now? 2025? is just that, sunny talk and an excuse for not putting a major league product on the field for fans paying major league prices. It's as simple as that. Every season has value. Every single one.

We bump heads, often. But this is my favorite post you've had.

I agree, well sort of. The Brewers playoff odds sit at 1.7% per baseball prospectus. While I don't favor mortgaging future assets or deviating from the longterm plan of moving the organization to a position to be a good bet to make the playoffs at some point in the future, as a fan I'm going to keep rooting for wins until that playoff odds become 0%. You can say absolutes like "the Brewers have no chance to make the playoffs." There is a 98.3% chance you are right but that doesn't mean that you are right.

Amen to that. My favorite Brewer team of all time was not the 82 team or the 08 team. It was the 79 team, with the 78 team a close second. Those teams won a lot but didn't make the postseason. That didn't make those seasons any less enjoyable or memorable.

Curious to what you think of this year's team? I am finding myself enjoying this team more than almost any in my lifetime. I love seeing guys like VIllar, Perez, and Davies take advantage of playing time and show they have a future. Anderson, Hill, Carter, and even Nieuwenhuis providing value that not many of us thought possible. The bullpen has been fantastic and despite some frustrations, this team seems to play hard every night.

Bottom line for me is that I always root for the Brewers to win, but because this is a rebuilding year, I am not going to be upset if they lose. I'm not cheering for losses, but am ok with them. It's not particularly complicated.

I will root for them to win each game as it comes up, with the understanding that this is not a year in which they're going to compete. I am fully in favor of the rebuild plan, and I would be absolutely against trading young controllable talent this year (or even next year) for one year or even two year rentals to chase a wild card. That being said, I still hope they play well, I root for W's, and while I understand the value of draft position and slot money, I can't root for my team to lose a few extra games for that purpose.

As someone else said they seem to play hard every night and haven't been blown out too often. Which is all I was really hoping for going into the season. Be competitive but chances are you'll still lose 90+. Turns out they've won 6-7 more than they should have, can chalk it up to small sample and expect for it to be made up for (likely in this tough stretch) later in the season. So I'm not going to complain about winning, especially since a good underdog story is always good fun. But yea I'm not going to lose any sleep if they get beat down on this trip to California.

If you sit and root for losses and a terrible record you are either 1) a Twins fan, or 2) need to lighten up. It is indeed OK to rebuild at the same time as compete. Hate to burst somebody's bubble but I would bet Lucroy ain't going anywhere whether he plays at an allstar level or poorly.

Archived