Brewer Fanatic

Peralta to AAA

DR28

I think he has to be down 3 weeks minimum before his service time is paused. Or 3weeks minimum in order to count his days down against his service time. Lemme google search....

If Peralta spends less than 20 days in the minors, those days count as major league service time and the option isn't used.

I would think he'd need to spend 34 days for the Brewers to get another year of control. That's mid to late July. It could be that Garza is traded at the deadline and Wily becomes his replacement. A lot would have to go right for that to happen, but I wouldn't say it's impossible.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he has to be down 3 weeks minimum before his service time is paused. Or 3weeks minimum in order to count his days down against his service time. Lemme google search....

If Peralta spends less than 20 days in the minors, those days count as major league service time and the option isn't used.

I would think he'd need to spend 34 days for the Brewers to get another year of control. That's mid to late July. It could be that Garza is traded at the deadline and Wily becomes his replacement. A lot would have to go right for that to happen, but I wouldn't say it's impossible.

More like a month and a half, a full year is 172 days but the season has more than that many days, more like 182.

Wily at Colorado Springs? That straight fastball is going to get crushed in that thin air. Can't see how CS can help anyone figure things out.

I'm kind of sick of seeing stuff like this about pitchers pitching there. They've had a team for over 50 years. This isn't some new thing. Everybody knows that your pitching stats are going to take a hit there but that doesn't mean you can't get better there. Learn to keep the ball down, hit the corners, change speeds and you'll be fine. Throw bad pitchers and you'll get rocked. That's how pitching works in every ballpark, at every level, everywhere.

And.... Is Garza " pitching for himself"? His actions last fall and comments this spring are filled with selfish, not team, ambition. Sad thing is, out of everybody in the rotation, he is going to get a longer leash than anybody, in my opinion. They won't gave the stones to move him out of the rotation because of the drama and headaches he caused.....

Baseball is an individual sport not much team about it. The team can't help a batter hit and a team can't help a pitcher pitch either.

Baseball is jut not a team sport like basketball, football, hockey or soccer. Baseball has more in common with singles tennis than it does with other team sports. When a player is playing for themselves in baseball that is a duh statement to me and rather pointless.

I love the move - it's about time the Brewers don't accept mediocrity as acceptable. Melvin would never have done this.

You produce or don't - all options are evaluated. This is about raising the bar for the franchise. It's about time. I'm becoming interested suddenly when the dynamics change. Great sign.

More like a month and a half, a full year is 172 days but the season has more than that many days, more like 182.

That makes sense. I didn't think of the opportunity to earn those extra few days. That would still open the door to bringing him back at the trade deadline.

183 days this year.

If Peralta had 33days then yes you would say 34days but then add 12more for the 183 account. So would gain the year service time at 46days then. He'd then start next season at 3.171 He would become a Super 2 then with Arbitration

I just don't know when they stop his clock. How does that work? Are the 20 days he's down counting against his service clock? Then Stops after that 20days beginning his reduction on service time? Or do they backtrack to include the 20days after he's reached it?

Essentially, is it 46days or 66days to gain that year?

The first 20 days a player spends in the minors count as Major League service time. But once 20 days are spent in the minors, the service time is gone. Maybe it's the 21st day when the option is used and the service time is gone. The contract is written in legalese, which makes it clear as mud to us normal folks. Anyway, to gain the extra year, I'd think that 46 days would be closer than 66.

I think Outlander's interpretation makes sense when he rounds it off to about a month and a half. That leaves room to give or take a few days days, which is fine from a fan perspective. The Brewers and the Commissioner's office would know the exact number.

And.... Is Garza " pitching for himself"? His actions last fall and comments this spring are filled with selfish, not team, ambition. Sad thing is, out of everybody in the rotation, he is going to get a longer leash than anybody, in my opinion. They won't gave the stones to move him out of the rotation because of the drama and headaches he caused.....

Ricky, I have a hard time faulting Garza. Some facts:

-he's had an outstanding career

-he had a nice 2014

-he was clearly frustrated

-wasn't his wife having some difficulties with her pregnancy

-most teams give veterans the benefit of pitching through problems

-who wants to be told by their boss to go home and come back in 6 months??

Garza was very good for us in 2014. He's had a tremendous career. Hopefully he has a nice 2016 and gets us back over .500

Your definition of tremendous and mine are quite different. 14.4 WAR over 10 season! That's decent not tremendous. He wasn't just bad last year, he was awful to the tune of nearly a minus 2 WAR.

wasn't his wife having some difficulties with her pregnancy

Yeah, she was in California having a difficult pregnancy with twins. When they were born, they were his fifth and sixth children.

Matt would have been leaving the team at some point either way.

The first 20 days a player spends in the minors count as Major League service time. But once 20 days are spent in the minors, the service time is gone. Maybe it's the 21st day when the option is used and the service time is gone. The contract is written in legalese, which makes it clear as mud to us normal folks. Anyway, to gain the extra year, I'd think that 46 days would be closer than 66.

I think Outlander's interpretation makes sense when he rounds it off to about a month and a half. That leaves room to give or take a few days days, which is fine from a fan perspective. The Brewers and the Commissioner's office would know the exact number.

JJ Hardy spent exactly 21 days in the minors to allow the Brewers to gain another full year of service time.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The only thing Peralta did for us was cost a 1/5th of the amount to suck than Lohse did last year. It was pretty much a no brainer once Garza came off the DL. Hopefully some time in the minors will get Wily righted, but for now it's important to see if Matt can at least rebound from a pretty bad 2015. He can't suck any worse than the guy he's replacing.

Baseball is an individual sport not much team about it. The team can't help a batter hit and a team can't help a pitcher pitch either.

Baseball is jut not a team sport like basketball, football, hockey or soccer. Baseball has more in common with singles tennis than it does with other team sports. When a player is playing for themselves in baseball that is a duh statement to me and rather pointless.

Baseball is a team sport. It isn't tennis. The organization's philosophy, the atmosphere in the clubhouse, the spot in the order, the manager's decisions of where and when to play, teammate support, and the coaches' side sessions do help a batter hit. A good team defense can make a pitcher look good instead of bad. A good team offense gives Garza a win even when he doesn't pitch great.

Here's the issue...

Garza pitched badly last year. Counsell gave him more than enough time at the major league level to get right, which didn't happen. He arguably pitched worse than Lohse, who was moved to the pen at season's end. When he finally was told that his starting spot was being given to someone else, he had a very public temper tantrum, complained about the decision, didn't want to pitch in the bullpen, and ultimately walked away from the team for the month of September..... And he took his full 12 million dollar contract with him, still getting paid every last cent.... No apologies. He left bitter, loathing Melving. Time away maybe would help, right? Nope. He comes into spring training with more crazy talk of pitching for self. To me, he was pitching for self from the beginning. He better be, but he better not be ONLY pitching for himself. How about doing what is best for the team? Go to the pen. Help the team there. Mentor a youngster call-up in September. Do what the team asks you to do.

When you struggle or Greatly struggle AND obviously hurt the team every 5 days in starts, the average starter realizes the writing is on the wall and changes need to be made to the staff! He somehow felt that the organization owed it to him to let him pitch whenever he wanted, regardless of results, regardless of how well other pitchers were doing, regardless of the Brewers place in standings and wanting to see young guys like Lopez and Davies pitch. I put his attitude in the same category as Sheffield and Sterling Sharpe. He wanted his way regardless of what was obviously best for the team.

I hope Garza does well in the coming months. He is a Brewer. I hope he has become a better pitcher. If he has or hasn't, I hope he has learned from his incredibly selfish mistakes.

The rotation has been adjusted slightly to include Garza.

Monday (tonight): Anderson (four days rest)

Tuesday: Garza

Wednesday: Nelson (five days rest)

Thursday: Guerra (five days rest)

After that, I'd assume that we'll see Davies followed by Anderson, each on four days rest.

Quick question for the board. Why are we worried about service time for a guy that has been borderline awful for the past two years? At this point, aren't we close to being able to confidently say those seasons are who Wily is? What makes anyone believe at this juncture he'll live up to his "potential?"

It is just talk on a Brewers message board where it gets detailed at times and most other people wouldn't care but sure he could get non tendered following the season. Related to Peralta's demotion, I did not read anything regarding if he cleared waivers. He must have if he was assigned to Colorado but it just seemed quick since he just pitched Saturday.

He can't suck any worse than the guy he's replacing.

Now you are really tempting fate.

I remember thinking there is no way that our starting pitching can be worse than last year. The first however many weeks of the season they were.

Well Peralta was giving us five sucky innings an outing, Garza may suck and only pitch four innings of suckitude, leading to the bullpen getting fried (no Capuano for multiple garbage innnings). So I am hoping they either let him pitch and suck "deep" into games, or don't let him suck for two months in the rotation.

If (& I know big IF) Garza can pitch decent for his next 5 or 6 starts there is A CHANCE someone would be desperate enough to deal for him at the deadline, seeing him as an upgrade over the bottom of their rotation (perhaps the chiSox)

In that case I can only hope Stearns accepts the deal... A couple low minor league lottery tickets (a la the Lind deal) would be good.

Sending down 'free Wily' makes plenty of sense in that regard...

I'd doubt he'd be traded by then, but there is always the trade through waivers with a few extra starts that one could envision. Garza most likely needs to finish the season with Milwaukee and build trade value for this offseason. I think even lights out Garza(the 2+ERA type) wouldn't net Milwaukee as high a return as this offseason and Garza had under a 3.6 ERA finishing this season.

Wily's demotion was well earned with being a bottom 5 SP in all of baseball in many categories. Garza deserves another turn in the rotation, I'd imagine if he goes 5-6 starts of 6ERA performance, he gets shuffled to the Bullpen.

Oh, what fun it will be to see Hader who was advanced to AAA and Peralta demoted to AAA how their stats stack up vs. 1 another. Just to see how excited one can get on Hader should he really outperform Peralta.

I'm really excited about Hader! I've been following him very closely this year.

I can't wait to watch the Nelson/Hader 1-2 punch for years to come.

This has the potential to be a very solid rotation heading into 2017...

Nelson

Hader

Garza

Anderson

Davies

And some nice depth in...

Lopez

Peralta

Jungmann

It is just talk on a Brewers message board where it gets detailed at times and most other people wouldn't care but sure he could get non tendered following the season. Related to Peralta's demotion, I did not read anything regarding if he cleared waivers. He must have if he was assigned to Colorado but it just seemed quick since he just pitched Saturday.

I don't particularly care if Wily gets another year of control or not, but it's a good question to discuss and sort out.

We probably haven't heard about Wily clearing waivers because media pundits aren't considering it newsworthy. But he would have had to have cleared before the team announced his demotion in such certain terms. Because they're revocable like trade waivers, optional assignment waivers aren't likely to be publicized unless they're somehow leaked.

Teams would have very little motivation to block AAA demotions in general. Plus, if a team made a claim, it would mean taking him and putting him on its roster.

Wily at Colorado Springs? That straight fastball is going to get crushed in that thin air. Can't see how CS can help anyone figure things out.

I don't think a sinker can ever be called a straight fastball. His certainly isn't. His problem isn't due to his fastball being too straight. It's a combination of him throwing it in the wrong location and his secondary pitches haven't come around.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'd doubt he'd be traded by then, but there is always the trade through waivers with a few extra starts that one could envision.

Garza is a perfect guy to put on waivers. If someone claims him, they just cleared the Brewers of a whole lot of money they would otherwise owe next year, and in the likely event that no one claims him, it gives him extra starts to show other teams that he's worth trading for. I don't expect much (if any) talent back, but it would be nice if someone else would pick up his salary for next season.

As to Peralta, he is in his first year of arby, making $2.8M. Getting sent down is reason to believe that he won't get much of a raise going into next year. At around $3M, if he can be a decent middle reliever he's worth having around. If he remained in the MLB rotation all year, even pitching poorly he'd still probably earn $4M+ next year, at which point he'd be tough to justify even if he was an okay middle reliever when we have so many pre-arby guys as alternatives.

I think the most likely scenario is that he is let go after the season, and someone else picks him up as a back-of-the-rotation starter/long-man in the pen for far less than the Brewers would have to pay him in arby, but there is a chance he regains his form as a starter, or that he gets converted to a reliever where he may succeed. They have to pay him this year regardless of what happens, so they're sending him where he can do the least amount of damage, hoping he "finds it" and can be of some value in the future

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived