Brewer Fanatic

Will Smith

I feel like we are going to get screwed today?

This post is funny to me in a "it shouldn't be funny" kind of way.

If this deal falls through it will be two years in a row. Happening once doesn't happen all too often, but twice back to back years, man oh man.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrote it in another thread but I feel DS overplayed his hand with Smith.

Yes we are now seeing it's a reliever market but Cleveland clearly overpaid for Miller.

If DS had been willing to get Sheffield and the other young relievers (Heller and JP), I'm confident Cleveland would have seen that as a better deal than also sending top prospect Clint Frazier with those 3 to the Yankees.

My feeling is not that it's his arm. He's got a knee brace and is coming off the injury. Legs are a big part of your power.

I agree, his arm is likely in great shape but the rest of his body is not balanced out, starting with his legs.

My feeling is not that it's his arm. He's got a knee brace and is coming off the injury. Legs are a big part of your power.

I agree, his arm is likely in great shape but the rest of his body is not balanced out, starting with his legs.

Doesn't really matter if it's arm or leg to a team looking to acquire him. Losing 5 MPH off your fastball does nothing but hurt his value.

That's probably true, though I would add that when one part of your body is not functioning correctly, others try to compensate. I worry that his arm, which had a heavy workload the past few years, is doing the compensating. That's not a good thing for a pitcher.

And a 90 mph fastball is a 90 mph fastball no matter the reason. He's just not the same pitcher he was the past few years.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Brewers have been shopping Smith heavily, but if he is experiencing some health issues I wouldn't be surprised if teams backed off. That said, it's okay to hold on to Will. If he gets healthy he's still really valuable in a deal down the road. No need to push a trade just to make a trade.

Hold Smith. Let him regain more value next season. He's not himself.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived