Brewer Fanatic

Will Smith

Smith hardly got rocked. The kid who scored on him got on with a bunt.

Smith is a gamer who is coming off significant knee surgery so he's working back in. Of course his metrics are down as he gets back to stuff. It's nothing unusual for a guy coming off knee surgery, regardless of sport, to take some time on the field to get all the way back. As you all know, pitchers heavily rely on their legs to get their drive into the pitches.

Smith has been nothing but really good for us for three years. He's still young and athletic. His stuff is really good. He's lefty. He's valuable.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Mystery solved, they were scrolling five trades proposed in this MLB.com Article by Jim Duquette. Sounds like they didn't preface it very well, just listed them as "five deadline deals".

The article itself says that either "Gabriel Ynoa or lefty Thomas Szapucki" might be an overpay for Will Smith. Come on man.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Would a Smith swap with the Mets (Will for Dom) be fair value in this reliever market?

Seems fair to me, but knowing the Mets, they'll ask for Smith, Jeffress, and Thornburg for D'Arnaud and complain that we're over valuing our relievers when we say no.

I don't think the Brewers could get Dominic Smith for any of their relievers. If Will Smith goes to the Mets, I'd hope the return would be something like LHP-Thomas Szapucki and RHP-Merandy Gonzalez. Would be pleased with a return like that.

Assuming Lucroy goes to somewhere other than Cleveland and Cleveland still has Francisco Mejia after addressing its need, would a package of Mejia and a lower prospect (arm like Luis Lugo/ Pannone or Merryweather) interest the Brewers for Smith???

Assuming Lucroy goes to somewhere other than Cleveland and Cleveland still has Francisco Mejia after addressing its need, would a package of Mejia and a lower prospect (arm like Luis Lugo/ Pannone or Merryweather) interest the Brewers for Smith???

If the Indians get jilted out of Lucroy, I doubt they would be to hip on another deal with the Brewers. I hope this ploy of multiple teams involved for Luc does in fact make the Indians pony up.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Apparently the Nats would be willing to trade Giolito straight up for Miller but the Yanks wouldn't (according to Heyman). That's insane if true and Stearns should get on the phone ASAP with Washington.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I know the Nationals need a closer, so Jeffress could be of interest, but I'm not sure adding quantity is going to really help improve the rest of their bullpen.

That said, maybe this is where a Jeffress/Braun package could be figured out for a really nice haul. Figure out a way to send Braun + Jeffress + $$ in exchange for Giolito + Robles + ?. Then send a Lucroy/Smith package to the Indians for Zimmer + Mejia + McKenzie + ?. I can dream right?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Apparently the Nats would be willing to trade Giolito straight up for Miller but the Yanks wouldn't (according to Heyman). That's insane if true and Stearns should get on the phone ASAP with Washington.

I saw this and rolled my eyes. Like the Yankees wouldn't jump on that deal if offered.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I know the Nationals need a closer, so Jeffress could be of interest, but I'm not sure adding quantity is going to really help improve the rest of their bullpen.

That said, maybe this is where a Jeffress/Braun package could be figured out for a really nice haul. Figure out a way to send Braun + Jeffress + $$ in exchange for Giolito + Robles + ?. Then send a Lucroy/Smith package to the Indians for Zimmer + Mejia + McKenzie + ?. I can dream right?

For Giolito, yes, you can dream. But that's about it.

I'd love to get him as well, but the Nats would be nuts to deal him.

Braun/Jeffress/$$ wouldnt get Robles alone unfortunately. If it would, I'd hope we pull the trigger ASAP

If the Indians get jilted out of Lucroy, I doubt they would be to hip on another deal with the Brewers. I hope this ploy of multiple teams involved for Luc does in fact make the Indians pony up.

A deal not getting done can be for many reasons. Tribe might not meet the Brewer price, or Lucroy might have a contract demand to wave the "no trade" & the Tribe doesn't want to agree to. Who knows at this point.

I've personally believed the Tribe should pursue Smith for last 8 weeks. Just curious if as the deadline approaches agreeing to a different structure might be of benefit to all.

BTW- Mejia with a single to CF in the 7th tonight extends his hitting streak to 41 games..

Archived