Brewer Fanatic

Will Smith

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Smith by himself should get at least Mejia and Mckensie from the Indians.

That'd be amazing but not sure. Mejia is on like a 36 game hit streak & will probably be a top 5 catcher in all Milb by the off season. Mckenzie has looked really good as well to match ceiling

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

There could be a great package put together by Cleveland for Luc and Smith together. Even if Frazier and zimmer are untouchable (Frazier would be awesome though!). I'd push for something like this.

Meija

McKenzie

Kaminsky

Hillman

Kreiger

That being said, I'd still rather trade Smith to the giants and get Shaw and a "lottery ticket".

There could be a great package put together by Cleveland for Luc and Smith together. Even if Frazier and zimmer are untouchable (Frazier would be awesome though!). I'd push for something like this.

Meija

McKenzie

Kaminsky

Hillman

Kreiger

That being said, I'd still rather trade Smith to the giants and get Shaw and a "lottery ticket".

I think I'd probably pull the trigger on this deal if it were offered by the Indians. Mejia is going to be a Top 100 prospect heading into next year, McKenzie and Hillman are young with big upsides, and Kaminsky/Kreiger look to have some upside as well. The only thing that I might ask for if I were Stearns is to replace Kaminsky with Clevinger - who appears to be more of a sure thing. If we are trading away one of the best catchers in baseball along with Will Smith who is probably a Top 10 LH RP in all of baseball, I think we need one guy in this deal that is more of a "sure thing" - and with Clevinger putting up great numbers at AAA I would consider him at least a guy that will eventually be a #3 rotation type guy. Would the Indians give up Clevinger, Mejia, McKenzie, Hillman and Kreiger for Luc and Smith? My guess is that they probably wouldn't want to give up that many guys who all have good upside. But, if we aren't going to get one of their top 5 guys Zimmer, Frazier, Aiken, Bradley or Sheffield - then I think we'd have to get a package like this.

Mejia would be another possible lefty added to our rotation with Hader.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Adalberto Mejia is a talent, I wouldn't mind adding his arm to the system, but yes, he had a 50-game suspension for a banned stimulant.

Before that happened, Mejia was considered one of SF's best prospects, and this year he has pitched well again, so I can see why teams would want him - the question is, what's the price?

Mejia is hovering around "Top 100" lists, he should be taken seriously, but he does have that suspension in his past to take into account.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Adalberto Mejia is a talent, I wouldn't mind adding his arm to the system, but yes, he had a 50-game suspension for a banned stimulant.

Before that happened, Mejia was considered one of SF's best prospects, and this year he has pitched well again, so I can see why teams would want him - the question is, what's the price?

Mejia is hovering around "Top 100" lists, he should be taken seriously, but he does have that suspension in his past to take into account.

Mejia seems like the type of guy to target for someone like Smith - that borderline Top 100 type guy - not perfect by any means, but with obvious talent. Even if he fails as a starter, he could easily become exactly like Smith - a quality lefty out of the pen.

There is the adage that to get something (of value), you have to give something (of value). I DO NOT disagree with that idea, but I do wonder about the value the Brewers (and their fans) are putting on talents like Will Smith and others.

Please follow me on this:

Starting Pitching is generally more valuable then relief pitching. That changes when bottom of the rotation starters or established closers are in the mix/ being considered.

Drew Pomeranz, an all star this year with 2+ years of control remaining netted a single top 20 prospect (another starter.). Drew is looked upon as a middle of the rotation arm. It can be debated that either Boston preferred him to Jimmy Nelson (in a 1 for 1 deal) or that the Brewers wanted Espinoza plus for Nelson...

Will Smith is a reliever with 3+ years of control remaining. He is not a closer but he is a solid/ good setup man. He has value and should bring back some value.

That said, in reviewing this thread and the Lucroy trade thread, some of the trade suggestions makes me wonder- How is it people think Smith is worth multiple top 100 prospects or a top 100 and others by himself

I could understand a single top 100 prospect or multiple players, none in top 100 that fill needs or the Brewers think are about to break out and take off. Again, value brings value. Asking for 'the moon' isn't a bad thing unless it alters your expectations. Once expectations get changed and become unrealistic, you end up disappointed or worse missing out on good opportunities needed to advance the rebuilding process.

There is the adage that to get something (of value), you have to give something (of value). I DO NOT disagree with that idea, but I do wonder about the value the Brewers (and their fans) are putting on talents like Will Smith and others.

Starting Pitching is generally more valuable then relief pitching. That changes when bottom of the rotation starters or established closers are in the mix/ being considered.

Drew Pomeranz, an all star this year with 2+ years of control remaining netted a single top 20 prospect (another starter.). Drew is looked upon as a middle of the rotation arm. It can be debated that either Boston preferred him to Jimmy Nelson (in a 1 for 1 deal) or that the Brewers wanted Espinoza plus for Nelson...

Will Smith is a reliever with 3+ years of control remaining. He is not a closer but he is a solid/ good setup man. He has value and should bring back some value.

That said, in reviewing this thread and the Lucroy trade thread, some of the trade suggestions makes me wonder- How is it people think Smith is worth multiple top 100 prospects or a top 100 and others by himself

I could understand a single top 100 prospect or multiple players, none in top 100 that fill needs or the Brewers think are about to break out and take off. Again, value brings value. Asking for 'the moon' isn't a bad thing unless it alters your expectations. Once expectations get changed and become unrealistic, you end up disappointed or worse missing out on good opportunities needed to advance the rebuilding process.

It's no big deal to me. If the Indians don't want him, they don't need to pay up for him. We've seen the value of top relievers in the past. There are comps. I mean, there's no point in Cleveland trying to minimize his value. I'm happy for him to stay in Milwaukee. Or, trade him to one of Cleveland's competitors.

The media indicates a ton of teams want him, including the Bosox, Giants, and others. You either pay up, or he can go to a competitor. It's all a matter of free will, no pun intended. There are other relievers that may be within what value Cleveland will pay, Torres or Boyer, maybe. It's like a person trying to buy a house. If you can't afford a $1 million dollar house, there are the $200k houses you can be shown.

A couple of things ....

First, there's no debate on Nelson to Boston ... the Brewers also offered a one-for-one trade, I'm certain of it.

Second, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks over here, beyond David Stearns, and nothing he's done would make me think he'll miss an opportunity.

Finally, yes, I do think Will Smith could bring a "Top 100 plus one", within reason. That player would be in the 80-100 range on that list, and the second player would likely be a teenager very few of us are familiar with, but I do think that's a possibility.

Honestly, I would expect Milwaukee to target multiple upside kids, one they're very confident in, and one who's skilled, but has a longer road to the big leagues. Whether those players happen to be on somebody's "Top 100", won't move Mr Stearns.

A half season of Fernando Rodney brought back Chris Paddock. If you don't think 3 1/2 years of an elite LH reliever is going to cost a lot then I don't know what to tell you. Now I don't think he's worth multiple top 100 prospects but he's definitely worth at least one and would move the needle significantly if packaged with Lucroy. Adding a Smith to a Lucroy trade makes it comparable to the value the Brewers gave up a year ago when they made a trade with the Astros. In that deal the Brewers received 3 top 100 prospects according to Sickels and a 4th prospect who was rated as a B-.

@WiscoSportsNut

Yankees are not looking to trade Miller which is good for Smith's value.

Yes that helps with Smith. If Chapman was also off the market and others like McGee & Abad are taken off market or get dealt, it would also help the value..

The big thing is Miller was also a controllable elite lefty reliever. With him likely off the board that may make Smith the best lefty on the market(unless I am missing someone). There are some teams specifically looking for lefty relief help and the Brewers may have the best thing on the market.

Browell4evr - our thoughts on Smith are not dis-similar. I was focusing on Smith as a trade chip alone in my post because I do not think the Tribe will put a package together to get both Lucroy AND Smith.

Also, Smith fills a pair of bigger needs for the Tribe, namely an effective lefty on its staff & another arm able to help late in the game. For all their offensive problems this season, at least Yan Gomes & Roberto Perez bring defense to the catching position. Depending on the defensive measurable, they could be rated as nearly equal to/ equal to/ better than Lucroy on that side of the game.

There are other teams that will trade for Smith. 3 1/2 years of control for a "next to closer" reliever is worth more than you seem to want to give.

I'd be surprised if Smith returned a top 100 prospect. Maybe one at the bottom of the list but if that happens it's very unlikely another player would be included in the package. Problem is that there are probably already 10 teams that have made just about every one of their relievers available and the market will be flooded with candidates. It's rumored that Stearns asked for Chris Paddack and two more prospects in return for Jeffress and apparently it took the Marlins about 1 day to find a suitable substitution at a lesser price tag.

I still think the way to maximize the value of Jeffress and Smith is to include them in a bigger trade. My gut feeling is that's why Stearns put such a high price tag on Jeffress earlier in the month...he wanted to save the relievers until a later date so he could use them to leverage more value out of a Lucroy or Braun trade if those would occur. If we get to July 29 and nothing is happening on the Lucroy or Braun front, then Stearns might be more inclined to drop the price tag and deal those relievers in separate deals. But Jeffress and Smith aren't exactly players who are breaking the bank, Stearns might be perfectly content to hold onto both of them for the foreseeable future.

Archived