Brewer Fanatic

Will Smith

Remember they are run by a guy who's signed Hanley Ramirez/Pablo Sandoval/Rick Porcello/Rusney Castillo to extremely large lengthy contracts that not one of them is living up to

Not even remotely true. Ben Cherington signed those guys, not Mike Hazen.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Remember they are run by a guy who's signed Hanley Ramirez/Pablo Sandoval/Rick Porcello/Rusney Castillo to extremely large lengthy contracts that not one of them is living up to

Not even remotely true. Ben Cherington signed those guys, not Mike Hazen.

I didnt know there was a change

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just saw that the Mets were looking at Brewers relievers. Honestly, they are still in my doghouse over last year. Unless they want to really outbid everyone else, I freeze them out til next year. Let them miss the playoffs by one game and DS can deal with someone else...like Cleveland or Houston.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Just saw that the Mets were looking at Brewers relievers. Honestly, they are still in my doghouse over last year. Unless they want to really outbid everyone else, I freeze them out til next year. Let them miss the playoffs by one game and DS can deal with someone else...like Cleveland or Houston.

I am upset with the deal we had in place with the Mets because it was a crappy deal. I am glad they backed out and we got a better deal.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I want the Brewers to make trades to win a World Series someday not make trades to make sure another team doesn't win a World Series we have no shot at.

Mets have the best package they can have Smith and win the World Series this year for all I care.

I think if you include Smith with Lucroy to Cleveland. You get Frazier, Aiken, McKenzie plus a lotto type.

Edit add. So looking BRef org depth. Oscar Gonzalez or Henry Pujols have thpse XBH stats I like to see. Pujols 17 3b has 6/4/4 2b/3b/HR and Gonzalez 18 LF 5/1/6 youd think Pujols in the trade if Frazier was had. Bradley vs Frazier and you get Gonzalez. Something like that.

I think if you include Smith with Lucroy to Cleveland. You get Frazier, Aiken, McKenzie plus a lotto type.

I don't think Cleveland would trade Frazier - period, and I wouldn't expect them to let go of Aiken either.

This is a really interesting time to watch the Indians do business - this is a notoriously conservative franchise, but they have needs and a real shot at a World Series, because they have the best pitching rotation in their league. If there's a time to go for it, it is now, but that would be a huge change of course, so I won't be shocked if they search for band-aids.

Community Moderator
Just saw that the Mets were looking at Brewers relievers.

The New York Daily News Article also mentions the Brewers are scouting the Mets lower levels.

That is why the Mets are looking for bullpen help before the Aug. 1 trade deadline. One industry source said the Mets have talked to the Brewers about Will Smith and Jeremy Jeffress.

The lefty Smith is 1-2 with a 2.12 ERA and Jeffress has 23 saves in 40 appearances this season.

Two sources confirmed that Brewers scouts have been monitoring lower-level Mets prospects recently.

Regarding Mets lower level prospects, an interesting one is last year's Mets 3rd round pick LHP Max Wotell. Wotell started for the Kingsport Mets on Saturday and has had some early (albeit small sample size) success in Rookie ball. Wotell also has a somewhat funky delivery that appears to cause some deception and timing issues for hitters.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I want the Brewers to make trades to win a World Series someday not make trades to make sure another team doesn't win a World Series we have no shot at.

Mets have the best package they can have Smith and win the World Series this year for all I care.

Overall I agree, last year just left a bad taste in my mouth, although I should be thanking them for pulling out of the trade. I think the Mets system is a bit weak anyway, but I would have no problem trading someone too them as long as they had the best offer.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Just saw that the Mets were looking at Brewers relievers.

The New York Daily News Article also mentions the Brewers are scouting the Mets lower levels.

That is why the Mets are looking for bullpen help before the Aug. 1 trade deadline. One industry source said the Mets have talked to the Brewers about Will Smith and Jeremy Jeffress.

The lefty Smith is 1-2 with a 2.12 ERA and Jeffress has 23 saves in 40 appearances this season.

Two sources confirmed that Brewers scouts have been monitoring lower-level Mets prospects recently.

Regarding Mets lower level prospects, an interesting one is last year's Mets 3rd round pick LHP Max Wotell. Wotell started for the Kingsport Mets on Saturday and has had some early (albeit small sample size) success in Rookie ball. Wotell also has a somewhat funky delivery that appears to cause some deception and timing issues for hitters.

This makes sense given all that we know (Mets need relievers, Brewers like to scout lower levels looking for players who in 2-3 years would never be included in a similar trade). I know this method infuriates those looking for a 2-3 year rebuild, but looking longer term this strategy should yield more major league talent (and higher likelihood of above-average players, and thus more sustained success) by sheer volume.

Gruber Lawffices

Smith by himself should get at least Mejia and Mckensie from the Indians.

Smith is worth some talent but thinking he is worth those 2 plus more is an overvalue of Smith (& I'm a fan of Smith and would want him in the Tribe bullpen).

Remember Smith is already in his arbitration years so his cost will continue going up, especially if he gets save oppportunities moving forward for any club.

Assuming we agree that Nottingham is not a long term answer behind the plate for the Brewers targeting a very good catching prospect makes sense. The cost of young talented starting pitching is very VERY high so trying to get it in trades also makes sense. I could see one of those named players being part of a deal for Smith along with other lower prospects

For example Mejia, Thomas Pannone & a lottery ticket type player or McKensie (I highly doubt Tribe deals him, he is destined for top 100 prospect status after this season), Taylor Murphy & a lottery ticket type player.

As I said above, I'm a fan of Smith but if I was GM for Tribe I look for someone else if Stearns is pushing for 2 top 100 prospects.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Giants scouting Smith and Jeffress
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What's a realistic return from the Giants for either Jeffress or Smith? I'm guessing that the Brewers would need one of Bickford/Beede/Shaw, right? Then, I'm assuming we'd want at least one other high upside 18-19 year old lottery ticket type prospect - and maybe two of those type of guys. But, it seems like the Giants don't have a lot of those prospects in their system, as most of their top prospects are older (23 and up).

Is it safe to assume that the Giants wouldn't give up one of Bickford/Beede AND a Chris Shaw for either Jeffress/Smith? Neither JJ/Smith are rentals, so I would assume that our asking price would be higher because of that. But, is that unrealistic to think that we could get two of their Top 10 prospects?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Then, I'm assuming we'd want at least one other high upside 18-19 year old lottery ticket type prospect - and maybe two of those type of guys. But, it seems like the Giants don't have a lot of those prospects in their system, as most of their top prospects are older (23 and up).

I'd guess none of us have heard of the lottery ticket types that would be included in a deal like this. Did any of us hear of the three in the Lind trade prior to getting them?

That would be the main objective: get them prior to them breaking out.

Evans had hinted that there’s a lot of demand to contend with on the market. That was a significant factor in the team’s decision to rely on some younger arms this year, he suggested. “We didn’t realize that half of baseball would be also looking for the same relievers and that the market would be so limited,” he said of the winter’s free agent market, “but that’s where we are.”

Good... GOOD.... Everything is proceeding as I have forseen... /Evil cackle

Gruber Lawffices

What's a realistic return from the Giants for either Jeffress or Smith? I'm guessing that the Brewers would need one of Bickford/Beede/Shaw, right? Then, I'm assuming we'd want at least one other high upside 18-19 year old lottery ticket type prospect - and maybe two of those type of guys. But, it seems like the Giants don't have a lot of those prospects in their system, as most of their top prospects are older (23 and up).

Is it safe to assume that the Giants wouldn't give up one of Bickford/Beede AND a Chris Shaw for either Jeffress/Smith? Neither JJ/Smith are rentals, so I would assume that our asking price would be higher because of that. But, is that unrealistic to think that we could get two of their Top 10 prospects?

Well for Jeffress it sounds like it would take multiple of those top guy. For Smith you are probably looking at one of them though maybe not Bickford. Depends on how the dominos fall one day relievers are getting traded for a kings ransom and the next day relievers can be had for free.

Main difference ours are very controllable.

Archived