Brewer Fanatic

Will Smith

He's been good since his return, lefty dominant high leverage reliever

Nationals are said to be shopping for Aroldis Chapman or Andrew Miller who the yanks might not make available

Brewers get:

Victor Robles

Reynaldo Lopez

Nationals get Will Smith

Less of a return than what Giles got, but it adds 2 high upside quality pieces to the minors, opens a roster spot for our current teams needs

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's been good since his return, lefty dominant high leverage reliever

Nationals are said to be shopping for Aroldis Chapman or Andrew Miller who the yanks might not make available

Brewers get:

Victor Robles

Reynaldo Lopez

Nationals get Will Smith

Less of a return than what Giles got, but it adds 2 high upside quality pieces to the minors, opens a roster spot for our current teams needs

Another outfield prospect???? We already have many OF Hall of Famers in our system!

Kidding aside I personally am in love with the thought of any trade landing Victor Robles in our system. Kid flat out produces and is starting to connect the dots between all of his tools. High upside pitcher in return would look pretty too. The next calendar 13 months will be very very exciting to see how the entire organization is transformed.

Doubt the Nationals are looking to trade Robles unless it is for a controllable game changer. Not really sure where Smith's value stands, but Robles is probably a stretch. Smith is good, but not elite in my opinion.

Doubt the Nationals are looking to trade Robles unless it is for a controllable game changer. Not really sure where Smith's value stands, but Robles is probably a stretch. Smith is good, but not elite in my opinion.

I agree, you're not gonna get Robles unless Braun or Lucroy are headed to Washington. They would probably try to make a deal around Reynaldo Lopez or Erick Fedde as the headliner.

Something like this would be pretty fair for both sides.

RHP Reynaldo Lopez or RHP Erick Fedde

3B Drew Ward

RHP Koda Glover

for

LHP Will Smith

@WiscoSportsNut

I'd be disappointed with the Sox offer. Essentially heads up Lucroy:Moncada and Smith:Espinoza I haven't a clue on Ockimey. Massive upgrades for Boston in Catcher and LH RP shouldn't come lightly. There's team control with both and of course the QO Boston will give Lucroy regardless what he does. That's a 1st rd talent. Or of course Boston could just extend Lucroy 4 years immediately without a blink on 4/72mil.

I'd be disappointed with the Sox offer. Essentially heads up Lucroy:Moncada and Smith:Espinoza I haven't a clue on Ockimey. Massive upgrades for Boston in Catcher and LH RP shouldn't come lightly. There's team control with both and of course the QO Boston will give Lucroy regardless what he does. That's a 1st rd talent. Or of course Boston could just extend Lucroy 4 years immediately without a blink on 4/72mil.

Brewers would take that in a heartbeat. I think the Brewers would get a few more lottery ticket type players though.

I wouldn't sell Smith at this point...at 30-33 and a few games out of the wild cards we've seen a decent sample size now. As another poster said we are full of OF'ers. If we keep this trajectory we might even be able to conceivably buy a little bit at the deadline rather than sell. The patient approach at the plate is paying dividends and looks like its going to stick, and the pitching staff is slowly coming around to being "competent." That's a good combination in my book. No, i'm not screaming playoffs but we're not really in a sell situation right now.

I wouldn't sell Smith at this point...at 30-33 and a few games out of the wild cards we've seen a decent sample size now. As another poster said we are full of OF'ers. If we keep this trajectory we might even be able to conceivably buy a little bit at the deadline rather than sell. The patient approach at the plate is paying dividends and looks like its going to stick, and the pitching staff is slowly coming around to being "competent." That's a good combination in my book. No, i'm not screaming playoffs but we're not really in a sell situation right now.

This team is not close to a competing team. That strategy could set us back big if you don't sell your best assets when you're a mediocre team.. Especially buying

We have to be patient and aquire a pool of young players with years of control for long term success

If we keep this trajectory we might even be able to conceivably buy a little bit at the deadline rather than sell.

Just because we've played a bunch of garbage teams that are worse than us and have beaten them doesn't mean we should be buying or standing pat. This is still a bad team that's nowhere close to contention. -40 run differential, 10-20 against teams over .500. There should be no change in our philosophy from last summer until now. Everybody is available for the right price, no "buying" to improve the team now.

Brewers would take that in a heartbeat. I think the Brewers would get a few more lottery ticket type players though.

No. You would take that trade in a heartbeat because you think Moncada is best prospect in the game. I'm not buying it.

No. You would take that trade in a heartbeat because you think Moncada is best prospect in the game. I'm not buying it.

Arcia is in AAA age 21. This Moncada is in A+ at 21. Or older for his competition. Arcia is fit to play vs ML competition. Moncado has a bit to go yet.

Moncada is living off his signing for Boston to be #5 prospect. Just like Benitendi living in top 40 because 7th selection. A Brewer has to exceed expectations like Arcia to climb rankings. A Boston prospect just needs to approach expectations to climb.

If we keep this trajectory we might even be able to conceivably buy a little bit at the deadline rather than sell.

Just because we've played a bunch of garbage teams that are worse than us and have beaten them doesn't mean we should be buying or standing pat. This is still a bad team that's nowhere close to contention. -40 run differential, 10-20 against teams over .500. There should be no change in our philosophy from last summer until now. Everybody is available for the right price, no "buying" to improve the team now.

They're about 22-18 or so since the beginning of May. Every team has to play the same turds we do, I don't view it that way. Nor do I believe we should go all out on buying assets by mortgaging the future. I was merely saying we have a significant area of strength in the OF for the minors / ML squads. I would be for acquiring a mid level pitcher on a short deal if it meant eating salary so we could get another prospect for an OF like Taylor or Reed, not looking for CC Sabathia type trades.

EX - the first one that came to my head was Ricky Nolasco with the Twins. I do NOT like the guy and prefer we don't go there, but someone with a similar deal to his. Trade an OF to eat his contract and maybe get another decent prospect with him. His deal is like 12 mil a year and will expire about the time we're looking to compete.

If Milwaukee is to get the same treatment as Boston, Corey Ray will get slotted in about #62 as that is where Benintendi was ranked after his draft selection who was exclaimed essentially the same player Ray was. And this draft is supposed to been better in talent than last year so 50 then maybe more appropriate.

Yes 1.5years is younger, but not elite younger. Arcia was 4years younger in AA last year, 5.7 younger for AAA this year. 3.7years younger at A+ level.

I'll take the hype more serious when he's producing at AA or AAA to the same numbers. He doesn't come with the Elite Gold Glove defense Arcia does and is just pegged for 2b for all his speed and athleticism to be average there at that. Isan Diaz is a full year younger in same level. He doesn't have the speed Moncada has, but more power thus far and he's producing the numbers along the lines Moncada is for 1year younger. If he got to bat a year from now at the same level, I'd expect his numbers to be that .290s 20s 2b maybe a 3b or 3, 6-8HRs 10sbs.

Devers is producing similar numbers as Diaz for same level and half a year younger. Honestly, with what Diaz has accomplished, and for where Moncada's limited to, I'd prefer Devers and Espinoza.

Mauricio Dubon also 21 in Salem SS/2b 23rd round pick in '13. .300+avg not as many doubles but 21SBs higher 30BB/23K 55hit tool 55 arm 55 field. So why is he 12th ranked Boston prospect when he's producing similar numbers to Moncada and can play SS beside 2b unlike Moncada? Maybe it's because he was a 23rd Round selection so no way can he be deserving a top 100 prospect. Maybe you throw him in the mix with Devers and Espinoza and call it a positive trade for Lucroy only.

Add Will Smith to the deal and I'd expect Moncada I guess over Devers with Espinoza.+pieces. I'd maybe get a 3rd team involved, say Cincy sending Jay Bruce plus their #4 prospect Amir Garrett. Bruce to Boston for Moncada. Brewers get Devers, Garrett, and Espinoza.

Ahh my biggest pet peeve. The use of age to start comparing players. Orlando Arcia has been in Pro ball since he was 16 years old playing good competition and getting elite training. Moncada was stuck in Cuba till he was 20. Arcia, like many international prospects, get to start earlier and have that to their advantage.

The whole covers action is moot because the Red Sox aren't going to trade a Top 5 prospect and especially not one they dumped $60mil on to sign.

Ahh my biggest pet peeve. The use of age to start comparing players. Orlando Arcia has been in Pro ball since he was 16 years old playing good competition and getting elite training. Moncada was stuck in Cuba till he was 20. Arcia, like many international prospects, get to start earlier and have that to their advantage.

The whole covers action is moot because the Red Sox aren't going to trade a Top 5 prospect and especially not one they dumped $60mil on to sign.

Arcia had 184 games between a Domican League Rookie Level and A ball Wisconsin.

Moncada had 101 games in Cuban Nationale Series at age 18. He didn't play at age 19 in a League because he was released from Cuba in June 2014 but didn't sign til March of 2015. prior to turning 20. Began in May Last year just 9 days from turning 20. He played ball just as Arcia did. Competition for both leagues vs the Pitching you're not seeing 3-4pitch well refined arsenals. FBs with 1 breaking pitch. If Moncada is so great and you refute there isn't competition like Arcia faced over here, Why then did he only have a .277 avg, 4HRs, .768OPS? Shouldn't he be standing out and batting like 1+OPS? Have like a .400 avg? He's on his 4th year as a minor league player. Arcia his 5th.

He's at least 2018 away from advancing to the Red Sox ML team. Both Lucroy and Smith could end up QO worthy when both become FAs. The wild trade idea, Bruce too maybe? That's draft picks to recover some of what they dealt. Meanwhile, they are getting players, in Ortiz' last year to reach a World Series. Smith would replace Uehara after this season. It all depends on whether they are building towards their future or winning now. They do need a SP more than anything else. This is shaping up like Milw's dilemma with playoff runs. Offense great, Pitching not up to par. =Series loss.

From your view point it's an easy no. From Boston's view point...Remember they are run by a guy who's signed Hanley Ramirez/Pablo Sandoval/Rick Porcello/Rusney Castillo to extremely large lengthy contracts that not one of them is living up to. David Price is quickly turning to becoming another. So there is some questionable leadership going on up there. Maybe not as bad as Arizona's but it's looking fairly awful what they've committed in those 5 players.

If Milwaukee is to get the same treatment as Boston, Corey Ray will get slotted in about #62 as that is where Benintendi was ranked after his draft selection who was exclaimed essentially the same player Ray was. And this draft is supposed to been better in talent than last year so 50 then maybe more appropriate.

Yes 1.5years is younger, but not elite younger. Arcia was 4years younger in AA last year, 5.7 younger for AAA this year. 3.7years younger at A+ level.

I'll take the hype more serious when he's producing at AA or AAA to the same numbers. He doesn't come with the Elite Gold Glove defense Arcia does and is just pegged for 2b for all his speed and athleticism to be average there at that. Isan Diaz is a full year younger in same level. He doesn't have the speed Moncada has, but more power thus far and he's producing the numbers along the lines Moncada is for 1year younger. If he got to bat a year from now at the same level, I'd expect his numbers to be that .290s 20s 2b maybe a 3b or 3, 6-8HRs 10sbs.

Devers is producing similar numbers as Diaz for same level and half a year younger. Honestly, with what Diaz has accomplished, and for where Moncada's limited to, I'd prefer Devers and Espinoza.

Mauricio Dubon also 21 in Salem SS/2b 23rd round pick in '13. .300+avg not as many doubles but 21SBs higher 30BB/23K 55hit tool 55 arm 55 field. So why is he 12th ranked Boston prospect when he's producing similar numbers to Moncada and can play SS beside 2b unlike Moncada? Maybe it's because he was a 23rd Round selection so no way can he be deserving a top 100 prospect. Maybe you throw him in the mix with Devers and Espinoza and call it a positive trade for Lucroy only.

Add Will Smith to the deal and I'd expect Moncada I guess over Devers with Espinoza.+pieces. I'd maybe get a 3rd team involved, say Cincy sending Jay Bruce plus their #4 prospect Amir Garrett. Bruce to Boston for Moncada. Brewers get Devers, Garrett, and Espinoza.

You said older for his competition. He is younger.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Why doe Orlando Arcia only have 6 doubles despite playing in Colorado? I am a whole lot more concerned about Arcia than Moncada offensively.

The Red Sox simply aren't going to trade a Top 5 prospect and essentially eat $60mil. I'd think the Brewers would have to pay the Red Sox back some of that money to even make it work.

Why are we concerned about Moncada compared to Arcia.. Both the same age, one is still playing A ball one is in triple A with almost half the amount of strike outs in almost the same amount of at bats. Arcia is by far more advanced defensively.. Does Yoan have more offensive potential? Perhaps, but defensively it isn't as close as offensively and again, Moncada is playing A ball still.. Arcia would probably destroy that league now

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think Moncada is going to be a beast of a player. He's not small - 6'2" and 205 lbs. He walks a ton (.400 OBP in his minor league career), gets a ton of xbh (43 doubles, 6 triples and 11 HR in 530 ABs thus far). Add in 85 SB in his career, and he's pretty fascinating. He just has the potential to a far more dangerous hitter than most middle infielders.

He's never going to approach a guy like Arcia defensively, but offensively, he has a lot more potential.

All that said, they'll both be very valuable players. I'd love to have them both, but they are very different.

Archived