Brewer Fanatic

Favorite Players for '06 Draft

I know Blazer and myself have offered a few of our personal favorite draft-eligible players for this June's draft. I wanted to create a new thread in which everyone could add their own. It will be interesting to see what turns this thread takes as the spring progresses.

1. Ian Kennedy-RHP-USC

I love the way Kennedy pitches, and his success so far at USC is hard to deny. He's advised by Boras, which always presents a formidable roadblock in negotiations, but on talent I take Kennedy first overall at this point in time if I'm given the pick.

2. Kyle Drabek-RHP/SS-The Woodlands HS (TX)

Kyle Drabek was the one player I was most anxious to watch at the Aflac game and events, and he didn't disappoint. On top of his mid-90s heater & killer curveball, he also displayed very intriguing loft power potential. He's a great athlete, and his dad was one of my favorite big-leaguers during his time.

3. Dellin Betances-RHP-Grand Street HS (NY)

Watching Betances was a treat, as he really opened my eyes. I'm expressed my concern about super-tall pitchers before, but I'm always open to making exceptions. He's a great kid, and really showed his dominance on the mound against the top players in the nation.

4. Brett Anderson-LHP-Stillwater HS (OK)

The third consecutive prep pitcher, and the first lefty on my list. Anderson opened my eyes with the way he commanded the strike zone with his entire repertoire, and also excelled with Team USA.

5. Max Sapp-C-Bishop Moore HS (FL)

Sapp can really swing the bat, and he reminded me immediately of some of the top hitting prep catchers over the past few years including Jeff Clement, Brian McCann and Daric Barton. He quieted a lot of questions about his D' as well.

6. Jared Hughes-RHP-Long Beach State

I liked Hughes coming out of HS, so I have had the added bonus of following his college career. He pitches 92-94, and induces a ton of groundballs. Jack Z. likes him as well, and we know Melvin likes those sinkerball pitchers.

7. Jason Stoffel-RHP-Agoura HS (CA)

Stoffel was a pleasant surprise for me at the PG Aflac Showcase. The batters he wasn't striking out he was inducing weak little choppers and a couple of broken bats. He knows how to pitch, works down in the zone, and don't be surprised to see his name soar up the charts this spring.

8. Nathan Bridges-SS-Villa Park HS (CA)

I love the way Bridges plays the game. His style and appearance reminded me quite a bit of Khalil Greene, and like Greene there is some surprising pop in his bat. Some scouts think he's college-bound (Cal State Fullerton), but I think his bat is more than polished enough for pro ball.

9. Jon Jay-CF-Miami

I have been a little skeptical of Jay in the past, but he is making me more of a believer, and a few people have told me more power will come. He's not a prototypical leadoff man as he's not a pure burner, but he has decent speed, is a natural, pure hitter, has a good eye at the plate and plays good defense.

10. Chad Tracy-C-Pepperdine

I'm not sure what I like better, Tracy himself or just the idea of having a catching prospect that can hit. Tracy isn't going to win any Gold Gloves, but he's not going to be a huge liability behind the plate either.

So, despite my studies proving that college pitchers have a higher rate of success than prep ones, four prep pitchers still grace my list. I do tend to like pitchers that show an advanced knowledge of pitching, something Drabek, Betances, Anderson & Stoffel showed me more than guys like Jordan Walden & Matt Latos.

Who are your favorites?

Profiles for Bridges and Jay have not been completed yet.

My Top 10

1. Andrew Miller, LHP (UNC)

RJ-lite. Cant go wrong with that.

2. Jordan Walden, RHP (TX HS)

Potentially dominant fastball/curve.

3. Chris Parmalee, 1B/OF (CA HS)

One of the best swings I've ever seen.

4. Cody Johnson, 1B/OF (FL HS)

Too much power to pass up.

5. Kyle Drabek, RHP (TX HS)

He's a midget but he can bring it.

6. Ian Kennedy, RHP (USC)

Another short guy who can dominate.

7. Drew Stubbs, OF (TEX)

Great tools but needs polish offensively.

8. Dellin Betances, RHP (NY HS)

Height scares me but he's so projectible...

9. Carmine Giardina, LHP (FL HS)

Polished lefty looks like Logan White's type.

10.Colton Willems, RHP (FL HS)

Not really a sleeper, but has awesome potential.

Mine:

1. Matt LaPorta, Florida - He's my favorite kind of player to watch.

2. Evan Longoria, LBSU - I like the Dirtbags, and he may have brought a more patient approach to the table.

3. Ian Kennedy, USC - See above.

4. Andrew Miller, UNC

5. Jared Hughes, LBSU - I like the tall guys, especially guys who profile to be GB pitchers.

6. Matt Antonelli, Wake - I like the CF idea.

7. Cody Johnson, HS - Pretty high for a HS'er for me, but apparently sweet power.

8. Robert Woodard, UNC - I just like the guy, this is favorites.

9. Mark Hamilton, Tulane - I love that line on the Cape in '05.

10. Colin Curtis, ASU

Plain and simple...IAN KENNEDY! #1

Number two, and a close two...Andrew Miller. Power lefties with his frame are not that plentiful. But Ian Kennedy is more than a thrower (though his fastball isn't such a power pitch). If because of signability concerns, he falls, the Brewer brass would be best served to take the top player. Otherwise, Drew Stubbs was a name I was hearing a lot about before Texas took the nosedive. Kyle Drabek is probably my favorite HS, but that's only because there hasn't been a lot of buzz about the preps yet. But while we have in the past taken the best available (even though 3B Ryan Braun looks more like a hole-fill, he still was a good value at that place and price), I think we have to take a pitcher. Matt LaPorta would be a great pick for most organizations, but he's strictly a 1B. Most reports say he has a very limited range, thus he isn't an option in the OF. Sapp could be an option, being as he is a catcher and we have an obvious dearth, but most other clubs have the same dearth so it's not very likely he falls. The one position player who a lot of people seem to mention is Jon Jay, who shares his name with one of my favorite fore-fathers. He is the one position player I could see us making a run at. However, if Ian is there, the Trojan contingency in Milwaukee will almost assuredly pressure Mark and Jack into taking the ace-in-waiting.

Matt LaPorta would be a great pick for most organizations, but he's strictly a 1B. Most reports say he has a very limited range, thus he isn't an option in the OF.

I'm not sure if you have been reading my reports, but I disagree with the notion that LaPorta is a 1B only. He'll play a little 3B this spring, and I think he could easily slide to LF a la Pat Burrell.

Chris Parmelee does have decent wheels, as he's not a blazer by any means, but he runs the bases well, which should translate into at least adequate range in the outfield. And he definitely has a strong enough arm. He won't be a Gold Glove candidate, but he should be able to stick. Like LaPorta, his best pure position is at 1B, but their value is greater elsewhere.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ihave been letting this topic marinate for a while but I thought I'd throw in my ideas for the first 10 guys.

Not the order they'll be drafted in but in the order that I like them:

1. Andrew Miller LHP UNC

Power lefty that has shown he can move up in levels. Has dominant stuff at times.

2. Brett Anderson LHP HS (OK)

The best overall pitcher in the HS class. Polished beyond his years. Tougher than many give him credit for. His stuff, command and makeup play at any level.

3. Dellin Betances RHP HS (NY)

Giant framed RHP (6-10) with surprisingly good mechanics for his age and size. Consistently repeats his delivery. Has been a mid to high 90's guy. Splitter is near average pitch. Unlimited potential.

4. Matt LaPorta 1B UFla

Best power bat at the college level. A somewhat limited athlete, but in a draft short on bats, he stands out.

5. Joba Chamberlain RHP UNebraska

A consistent college pitcher for a top 25 program. Has gained some velocity this season and has shown 3 average or near average pitches. Bulldog competitor.

6. Colton Willems RHP HS (FL)

Tall projectable HS pitcher with good present stuff. Silky smooth delievry and a very live FB to go with 2 near average secondary pitches. He doesn't get the hype that Latos and other get but is every bit the prospect.

7. Drew Stubbs OF UTx

Best all-around tools in the draft. Might not hit well enough to be an impact MLB player but the rest of his game will play.

8. Chris Parmalee 1B/OF HS (CA)

Best bat in the HS class. A true pure hitter with average to above average power. Sort of a man with out a position but he hit all of the top pitching all summer and hit it with authority.

9. Kyle Drabek RHP HS (TX)

Would be higher based on pure stuff. Possibly the best raw arm in the whole draft. A FB that reaches high 90's and a dominating breaking ball. Arm action and makeup may scare some teams.

10. Devin Shepherd OF/1B HS (CA)

Sort of a wild card here and a favorite of mine. MVP of the AFLAC game, Devin is a true power player in every sense of the word. Plus raw power, a plus OF arm and near average speed. Profiles similar to Carlos Lee or Bobby Bonilla. Looks like a MLB player right now (body wise). He needs to show more consistency with the bat and show less swing and miss. If he performs like he did this summer could move to the very top of the draft. Is a great kid as well.

Quote:
ive hear concerns about drabek's makeup, but i have not heard any specific examples or reasons why. Can someone shed some light on this.

Probably not something that should be commented on in an open forum as far as specifics go. Lets just say that there are some concerns.

I agree. I ignored the original request because I don't like commenting on character issues unless there is a previously published report of the issue in question. These kids have enough things working against than to have someone like me trying to pile on.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have to say:

SS Wes Munson Fond du Lac HS

C Chad Pierce Fond du Lac HS

Yeah Fondy is strugglin a little but thats cause they dont have many pitchers and Wes got off to a cold start but he is gettin goin! Lol i thought i'd throw in my 2 favorites, im ahometown person!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the Royals have been covering Miller quite extensively all spring, but I agree, it does seem as though they're starting to lean back that way. I'm good for my dollar.

However, I still don't like what the Royals are doing. Not screwing up your first round picks is one thing, going cheap with other early round picks is another.

Jake Frombach 2B/SS -- UW-Stevens Point

Table setter for the world series bound Pointers

Frombach, a Stratford native, collected his third straight first-team award after also earning honorable mention accolades as a freshman. He tied the WIAC record with 85 hits this year while hitting for a .385 average with 31 RBI?s. Frombach is UW-Stevens Point?s all-time leader with 240 hits, while playing in a school record 168 games.

from UWSP athletics website

1. Miller

2. Drew Stubbs

3. Hank Conger

The Brewers have no chance at Miller but Stubbs appears to be dropping.

From what I have seen of him on FSN televised Longhorn games and the scouting reports,

If he can hit 0.270 in the majors he will be an impact player because of his glove, speed and power. In 2 years he could be in the majors.

In fact he could play CF defensively right now for the Brewers.

1B - Fielder

2B - Weeks

SS- Hardy

3B- Braun

LF- Hart

CF- Stubbs

RF- Cruz

Quick question.

I remember hearing a lot about Cody Johnson from last summers' AFLAC (?) Games. What is up with him?

He sounded like a top 10 pick, and now is not on any Top 20 or Top 30 draft boards? (He's 23rd on the BF.net Draft Board).

The AFLAC game was kind of a turning point for Johnson, who was dominating during the summer months. He cooled off a lot and saw his stock drop as scouts started questioning his overall ability. He has a good amount of holes in his swing, especially above his hands and hasnt progressed defensively enough for scouts to believe he can stick in RF. He's got great tools but just hasnt put it all together for scouts to believe he's for real. If he doesnt go in the top 5 or so rounds, he could honor his committment to FSU.

Well I have to say is Danny Almonte! Now that he plays with people the same age as him he still dominates. Hes like 10-0 with a .41 ERA. There was a article bout him in USA Today like a week ago. Hes 19 and married to a 30 year old. Thats crazy hes still in High School!

If any of u dont remember who he is which i think all of u do, he is the 14 year old who pitched in the little league world series (only can be 12yo) and pitched a perfect game to take 3rd place which was later striped from them after they found out about him.

im not sure where is is bein projected in this years draft but i think he be a good snag cause the kid can pitch lights out.

Archived