Brewer Fanatic

Villar's value

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think we are seeing the versatility trait Stearns seeks coming to bear. Guys that can play multiple positions don't have to be traded to make room. I have a feeling Gennett will ultimately be the odd man out because he can only play 2nd.

I think this is spot on. I bet he's hoping Scooter does well so he can actually trade him for something.

I'd expect a team that needs a LH 2b bat would consider Gennett but only maybe for a deal like what Milwaukee gave up for Parra. Haniger+Banda.

Villar to me is Milw's 2b after this season with Arcia at SS. Ramirez/Perez either of the two are your utility should an injury occur....And by that I would intend both back up Villar at 2b. Villar backs up Arcia at SS.

• 1 month later...

I believe Villar will be the most valuable potential trade piece in the Brewers off-season if Arcia proves he can handle ss for the remainder of the season.

If people are still sold on trying to get that illusive front-line starter, Villar is the guy to shop.

I'm not saying they should trade him. The Brewers should just line him up at 2b and let him lead off for the next 4 years but I think he could bring the return that some thought Lucroy would bring.

Villar is 25 years old, a.300 hitter, plays good defense and is controllable; Orlando is an unproven rookie short stop with a weak bat. Enough said.

Good thing both can play at the same time then. Whew! Thought we had a real issue there.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Orlando is an unproven rookie short stop with a weak bat.

AA wRC+:

Orlando Arcia 126 plus a 1.337 OPS in the playoffs

Nomar Mazara 123

Francisco Lindor 114 followed by an 88 wRC in his first 180 AAA at-bats

Arcia may never hit like that before and may never again, but saying he is a weak bat isn't entirely the case.

Orlando is an unproven rookie short stop with a weak bat.

AA wRC+:

Orlando Arcia 126 plus a 1.337 OPS in the playoffs

Nomar Mazara 123

Francisco Lindor 114 followed by an 88 wRC in his first 180 AAA at-bats

Arcia may never hit like that before and may never again, but saying he is a weak bat isn't entirely the case.

Arcia can hit very well---unlike Alcides escobar, who i suspect a lot of you guys will start comparing him to almost immediately, Arcia has a great line drive swing and developing power. We should view him in the mold of early JJ Hardy.

Villar is under control through 2020. Right now, I'd be planning on holding onto him the entire time. I don't think he has enough value around the league to make moving him worthwhile. I think he has substantially more value to us.

His versatility allows us flexibility in building around him. He could stick at 2nd or 3rd depending on which direction we want to go and other personnel we acquire.

Villar has consistently hit around .300 all season with an OBP of .380. The standard deviation from these numbers is practically nil. He has stayed near those numbers all season. He's a superior athlete too. This is what the desired lead off hitters are made of.

I'd say the odds of Villar being traded is between .000001% and .00001%. Jonathan Villar is incredibly valuable and could be huge part of our next contending team. The return would have to be absolutely massive.

At minimum one would need a Top 20 prospect plus way more. I just don't see that happening.

Archived