Brewer Fanatic

Hunter Renfroe

Why would the Padres trade a Top 100 prospect? Where would we put him?

To answer your question prospects...and good one(s). Josh Hader maybe if it was an straight one for one swap(Brewers wouldn't do it). Jorge Lopez if he was having a decent season. Trent Clark? Maybe two lesser but still good prospects.

It doesn't make a ton of sense to be honest.

I'm not sure trading for an outfielder is on our current radar screen... We have other pressing needs like 1B and 3B that we are going to have to address at some time. We will always be able to use pitching...
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Just gauging worth...as for why the Padres would make the trade? They seem to trade everyone else that has a shot at helping the team...why not this guy.

But I do understand how this position doesn't fit our current needs.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

San Diego really could use help anywhere. Their pitching prospects are weak. So if Milwaukee really wanted him, they'd want young pitching back. Just isn't likely for someone we don't need that badly.

That said, San Diego's system is really pretty bad, and so is their major league team. Their best player, Jon Jay, is a FA after the season. Guys like Kemp and Upton are pretty much untradeable. At least Upton will be off the books soon. Not so with Kemp.

That said, Renfroe - along with Manny Margot - are just about ready for the majors, and are solid outfield pieces to start rebuilding around.

I still can't believe the Padres convinced themselves they could be decent last year. They really hamstrung themselves. At least they got Margot from Boston in the Kimbrel deal. But man, they gave up Joe Ross and Trea Turner for Wil Myers. Ross has a 2.37 ERA this year. And I like Turner a lot. Those are a some nice building blocks for a team. Plus, if they hadn't gotten Kemp (who they owe $18M a year through 2019), they could have spent money on things they really needed.

Archived