Brewer Fanatic

Drafting for the present

while I am not advocating this completely, I was wondering what were your guys thoughts about drafting a college closer that could help us in the immediate future. In the past ryan wagner, chad cordero, and huston street have been very succuessful for their teams. I know there really isn't that kind of player in this years draft, but maybe the closer from miami could help us. it might be more beneficial than drafting a high school pitcher that still might not sign with us and we have no idea if he will be riddled with injuries like a jm gold or nick neugebauer.

Huston Street was one closer that I would have been all for. This year, none of the closers are really first-round worthy anymore, and there seems to be a good chance that one of the top ones would be available for the team's 2nd round pick.

Not for the first-round though, no matter how much they need help in the bullpen. The talent just isn't there this year.

The baseball draft isn't like the football draft.

If you start drafting that way (see the 1980s and 1990s Brewers of Sal Bando) you will torch your farm system in short order.

The problem is Melvin took over a mess and pitching is the hardest pieces to find.

In my opinion the next 4 or 5 drafts need to be dedicated to filling the system with arms with no concern about them helping in 2006 or 2007.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a college arm for their second round pick, either a starter that's dropped out of the first round for whatever reason or one of the college closers. Most people say pitching is the strength of the draft anyway, but with the premium many teams seem to pay for college arms none of us should be surprised if the Brewers go another direction, particularly with the 1st round pick.

While I'm sure Ned Yost would love to have three college pitchers to feed into the meat grinder come September, Jack Z seems to follow his draft board regardless of what the pressures from inside and outside the org might dictate. Thank heavens....

Archived