Brewer Fanatic

DirecTV / AT&T Bundles

bani1717
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had good luck getting what I wanted from Directv, I just have to work for it. At least one call, threats to cancel, justifications, all that. I actually asked the lady last year, we know where this is going, can we just skip to it?

Ok, I called. Nothing. I called again. Nothing. Finally I mentioned cord cutting and sling tv and they sent me to customer retention. They gave me a bunch of discounts and Sunday ticket with a one year agreement.

I now need an aspirin.

Ok, I called. Nothing. I called again. Nothing. Finally I mentioned cord cutting and sling tv and they sent me to customer retention. They gave me a bunch of discounts and Sunday ticket with a one year agreement.

I now need an aspirin.

It's basically just a giant game of chicken with the cable/satellite companies once a year.

To answer your other question you can get Red zone on Sling with the 10 dollar sports add on.

Is this Red Zone on sling the Directv's Red Zone Channel or is it the NFL Network's Red Zone Channel. They are not the same. (I think, at least. Maybe the NFL Network got rid of theirs.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Amazon Fire Stick with Kodi for the win. Worked flawlessly for NFL Opening Day. Screw the cable/satellite companies and their high prices and the silly games we have to play for discounts. Cut the cord 9 months ago and haven't looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Amazon Fire Stick with Kodi for the win. Worked flawlessly for NFL Opening Day. Screw the cable/satellite companies and their high prices and the silly games we have to play for discounts. Cut the cord 9 months ago and haven't looked back.

What's Kodi? I still don't know if I can cut the cord. I mean I know I could, but I sometimes just like browsing for random shows on random channels. I also worry about the loss of some sporting events.

You always have to just say you want to cancel service so you get to customer retention. That's where things get accomplished. Sometimes it takes two times getting to them to get the action done. Example, first time I called, said I wanted to cancel, they started the process and then I said I will call back once I have a hookup date for cable and then do this. Called back, gave them the date that it would be setup. Told them this is what I wanted and why, and then I'd stay, otherwise it didn't make sense, and they gave me a good deal.

What's Kodi? I still don't know if I can cut the cord. I mean I know I could, but I sometimes just like browsing for random shows on random channels. I also worry about the loss of some sporting events.

You always have to just say you want to cancel service so you get to customer retention. That's where things get accomplished. Sometimes it takes two times getting to them to get the action done. Example, first time I called, said I wanted to cancel, they started the process and then I said I will call back once I have a hookup date for cable and then do this. Called back, gave them the date that it would be setup. Told them this is what I wanted and why, and then I'd stay, otherwise it didn't make sense, and they gave me a good deal.

+1

I dont know what Kodi is either.

That is what i did with Direct TV. I had to cancel some channels and Sunday Ticket to get their attention. Even with that, I had to call back several times. ATT made this process way more challenging.

One other tip is the chat feature. You can calmly tell them about cord cutting options and they seem to understand to send you to the retention group which they admit has way more "promotions" they can offer than the standard CSR.

What do you use for local channels? A Digital Antenna? How far are you from the towers if that is not too personal?

What do you use for local channels? A Digital Antenna? How far are you from the towers if that is not too personal?

I just use a HD antenna for local channels. I'm now living about 20 minutes outside of downtown Minneapolis and I can get all the major networks in the area. I'm about 40 miles too far to pick up any of the Eau Claire channels which means no Packers games

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Can I watch Sling TV on multiple devices at the same time?

You can watch Sling TV on all of your favorite compatible devices. The number of devices on which Sling content can be watched at the same time varies based on the Sling service.

If you subscribe to our Sling Orange service you can enjoy one stream at a time. Any extras you add to your Sling Orange service will be included in your single stream.

If you subscribe to our Sling Blue service you can enjoy up to three streams of these channels at one time! This means you can enjoy FOX on your big screen, while your computer streams AMC, and catch up on the news with CNN on your mobile device. Any extras you add to your Sling Blue service will be included in your three streams.

HBO® is available as an extra for both Sling Orange and Sling Blue. Regardless of whether you choose Sling Orange or Sling Blue, you will be able to watch HBO® content on up to three devices simultaneously.

Sling International and Latino subscribers can also enjoy international content on up to three devices at a time if you purchase the Family Plan extra for an additional $5 per month.

http://help.sling.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Can-I-watch-Sling-TV-on-multiple-devices-at-the-same-time-13/?/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Where is a good site for addons for Kodi?

I've used playon before, and I found literally 2 addons that gave me every tv show, movie, and sports I could possibly want to watch. the issue with playon is the streaming quality is tremendously bad. SOmetimes the best you can even hope for is 360, and that's stretching it.

I'm not finding the firestick super intuitive, but maybe that's just me finding typing with a remote cumbersome.

I've used PS Vue for college football and the Packer game so far, but FoxSportsGo lagged and buffered terribly during the Packer game. I want something better.

I'm not finding the firestick super intuitive, but maybe that's just me finding typing with a remote cumbersome.

There might be an app for that. Using the keyboard on a tablet or phone is much easier than typing with a remote. Even better, you can paste out of your password manager.

On the other side of the coin, the remote is better than an app for things you want to do quickly, e.g. pause.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Can I watch Sling TV on multiple devices at the same time?

You can watch Sling TV on all of your favorite compatible devices. The number of devices on which Sling content can be watched at the same time varies based on the Sling service.

If you subscribe to our Sling Orange service you can enjoy one stream at a time. Any extras you add to your Sling Orange service will be included in your single stream.

If you subscribe to our Sling Blue service you can enjoy up to three streams of these channels at one time! This means you can enjoy FOX on your big screen, while your computer streams AMC, and catch up on the news with CNN on your mobile device. Any extras you add to your Sling Blue service will be included in your three streams.

HBO® is available as an extra for both Sling Orange and Sling Blue. Regardless of whether you choose Sling Orange or Sling Blue, you will be able to watch HBO® content on up to three devices simultaneously.

Sling International and Latino subscribers can also enjoy international content on up to three devices at a time if you purchase the Family Plan extra for an additional $5 per month.

http://help.sling.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Can-I-watch-Sling-TV-on-multiple-devices-at-the-same-time-13/?/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle

I found that shortly after posting. I since signed up for the Blue service. I was looking into picking up a Roku 3 anyway and figured an extra $50 to try out Sling for a couple months might be worth it. Ended up being about $130 for 3 months of Sling and a Ruko 3.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any advice on TV/internet companies in Chicago? I'm talking Chicago proper, not the 'burbs. If I'm reading Comcast's website correctly, you have to have the biggest/most expensive TV package in order to get the Big Ten Network, and I think that is ridiculous.

There's a company called RCN that has both TV and internet with all the channels I want for a good price, but when I put in my future address it says they can't find it (doesn't say they don't service it, just that they can't find it). I'm wondering if they service just multi-units (condos, apartments, etc.), but the website says residential.

If RCN is not an option, it looks like it might be TV through DISH and internet through Comcast, but I'm trying to avoid satellite as I hate it when rain interrupts the signal.

A really underrated alternative to cable, satellite, and Netflix is Tivo.

When my wife and I bought our house a few years ago, we agreed to cut the cord to save money. The one thing I couldn't do without was (still is) DVR. We only get broadcast TV, but have the ability to record any program with Tivo for $14.99 / month (and $50 for the unit). Plus, we can pause live TV (great for Packer games). With the ability to record every network program and watch at our convenience, we never run out of things to watch. Unless you count the the local and national news which we usually flip on in the evening, we haven't watched a commercial in 2 years.

Yeah, my TV watching desires are the Badgers (ESPN/2, BTN primarily), Brewers (FSN), CNBC (cable), Packers (Fox/CBS primarily), Marquette (FS1/FS2/ESPN/2), NCAA BB tourney (TBS/TNT/TRU/etc.), and maybe Bucks (FSN) and some reruns of CSI (various cable networks). Not a whole lot of over-the-air network programming.

Comparing Tivo to netflix is apples and oranges. Tivo is a hardware/software company. Netflix, Hulu, etc provide and create exclusive content.

Tivo was great 10 years ago before streaming. Superior software. Problem is cable companies caught up. AT&T put Microsoft media software on their set top boxes. Eventually needing a large HD for storage will be less important as everything move to on demand streaming.

There are more options now but they are all starting to merge as far as cost. Platforms are going to start to merge with pricing.

Discussed this with some friends over the weekend...do you think the Cable/Satellite providers will ever just let you pick the stations you want and pay for just those?

A LOT of the cost associated with them come from the fees associated with channels that are included within the base packages - even if you don't want them. DTV has hundreds of channels...I probably watch 30 of them. Think about how much less my bill would be if I could pay for just those and not get sucked into all the fees.

I'm sure it's a pipe dream, but it would make everything so much easier by not getting forced into their prebuilt channel packages and fees.

Discussed this with some friends over the weekend...do you think the Cable/Satellite providers will ever just let you pick the stations you want and pay for just those?

A LOT of the cost associated with them come from the fees associated with channels that are included within the base packages - even if you don't want them. DTV has hundreds of channels...I probably watch 30 of them. Think about how much less my bill would be if I could pay for just those and not get sucked into all the fees.

I'm sure it's a pipe dream, but it would make everything so much easier by not getting forced into their prebuilt channel packages and fees.

It's not going to happen anytime soon because that's not how cable/satellite providers are allowed to buy channels. Content providers/studios own multiple networks and sell them as a package to the cable companies. For example, Disney owns the ESPN networks, the Disney networks, the ABC networks, etc., and sells them as a package and charge based on the number of subscribers the cable/satellite providers have. ESPN is by far the most expensive (last I saw they charge well over $5/subscriber); I'd imagine that some of the low-rated networks (We, The Hallmark Channel, etc.) may go for $0.25/subscriber. They can literally get 20-25 other channels for the same price they pay for ESPN.

Some of the lower-rated networks can be fairly profitable if they have a well-defined or high value audience. Millennials are all the rage for advertisers, so a network that has low ratings but lots of Millennials (Fuse? Axis? I don't know what Millennials watch besides Game of Thrones.) will draw strong ad revenue. The home improvement/real estate based networks have a high value audience because they can stimulate big purchases (remodeling, appliances, real estate purchasing, etc.), and most of that business is done with local businesses. Same with financial channels. Food channels don't stimulate big purchases, but do stimulate many purchases and have lots of potential advertisers.

Looking at what I watch, if you were able to subscribe to individual channels, once you combine ESPN/2/News, BTN, CNBC, FSN, FS1/2, TBS/TNT/TRU (for NCAA tourney), it wouldn't be much cheaper than the packages they sell.

Last night, we cancelled our subscription with Dish Network after 11 years. We already have a Netflix and Prime subscription and that is mostly what the kids watch anyway. We were paying $105 / month for the top 120 (not 120+), local channels, one hopper, one joey. They kept creeping up the price where it got to the point where we didn't think $105/month was worth it.

Now what? Well, we are going to purchase one of the Moku Leaf products. We live near Southridge, so the 30 mile one should work out fine, although we don't have any windows facing towards downtown Milwaukee (weird, I know). That will take care of live, over the air (OTA) items. We already have the house wired with coax because of Dish, so we could put in an amplifier and splitter to get the signal to all three TVs.

So, what about sports? Well, I think we are going to go with Playstation Vue. The $35/month bundle has almost every sports station we could want. Plus, it allows you to DVR items for up to 28 days. This includes OTA shows. It has other channels we want. It is also a month-to-month structure similar to Sling TV. Oh -- and we can stream 5 shows at once. I think Sling only allows 1 or 2.

We will be purchasing one Roku stick to see how that goes. We may end up purchasing two more.

Fun, fun, fun!

Archived