Brewer Fanatic

Which starting pitcher gets dropped when Garza comes back?

dacbrewers
Wily is really costing us games. But I bet it will be Anderson, they won't have the guts to demote Peralta...they'll just hang on and hope he somehow figures it out (he won't).

Peralta isn't one of Stearn's "guys." The current regime has no attachment to him. I would be very disappointed if Anderson gets removed over Wily.

How about... maybe no starters get dropped and they go with a 6-man rotation? If there was any year they would try it, it would be this one.

they've got a stretch of games from 6/5 - 6/19 with no breaks before 3 days off within 7 days. they could definitely go with 6 man rotation to limit innings for Davies/Anderson/Nelson

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I think the "shoulder fatigue" DL stint makes sense. That gives Garza a month or so to prove himself, and hopefully get someone to trade for him. Time that up with Peralta's minor league "rehab assignment," and either a spot is opened up for him in the rotation, or Peralta comes back as a BP arm.

I'd love to see Peralta "find it" as a starter, but the odds of that seem to be getting slimmer and slimmer.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Who would've thought we'd be so happy to have Garza back
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Wish he had been back sooner, given that the White Sox are absorbing roughly what Garza is owed in salary to take Shields.

It's June now, trade market for starters is going to heat up. Hopefully Garza can start heating up as well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Well....there's a chance that he pitches like pre-2015 Garza. If he does, he has a fair amount of value.

At this point I think there's almost no chance that Wily reverses his misfortune by simply continuing to go out and start every 5 days.

Wish he had been back sooner, given that the White Sox are absorbing roughly what Garza is owed in salary to take Shields.

It's June now, trade market for starters is going to heat up. Hopefully Garza can start heating up as well.

Shields is a much, much better pitcher than Garza, with much better recent performance and San Diego got little back even after eating over half his remaining salary. How is a month of average Garza going to parlay into anything but minor salary relief assuming any interest at all? Teams won't be convinced after 5 or 6 mediocre starts (and is anybody expecting better than that?) I'm guessing the Brewers will be stuck with Garza the rest of the year, and hope he strings together enough decent starts to have a market this winter. Even that's fairly remote, but worst case is they eat one year.

Shields is a much, much better pitcher than Garza, with much better recent performance and San Diego got little back even after eating over half his remaining salary. How is a month of average Garza going to parlay into anything but minor salary relief assuming any interest at all? Teams won't be convinced after 5 or 6 mediocre starts (and is anybody expecting better than that?) I'm guessing the Brewers will be stuck with Garza the rest of the year, and hope he strings together enough decent starts to have a market this winter. Even that's fairly remote, but worst case is they eat one year.

2014, 2015 FIP:

Garza: 3.54, 4.94

Shields: 3.45, 4.45 (and 4.42 in 2016)

Shields was good 2 seasons ago, same as Garza.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I've wanted to see Wily in the bullpen for a couple years. Not long term, but to learn how to finally attack hitters and finish them. Use his fastballs to attack, and finally turn his slider into a strikeout pitch. This is how the Cardinals seem to find many of their starters.

I'm guessing the Brewers will be stuck with Garza the rest of the year, and hope he strings together enough decent starts to have a market this winter.

He has a long track record, so there is a chance that if he pitches well for a month someone will trade for him, but I think trading him in the offseason is probably the most likely scenario. Of course, if he pitches poorly no one will trade for him, so we'd just cut ties and eat his 2017 salary. I don't see any way he's with the Brewers to start next year, so hopefully he can pitch well enough to make some people forget that 2015 happened.

As to who gets replaced, I think most of the Timber Rattlers' staff could do better than Peralta at this point, so he'd better be the guy who loses his spot. As mentioned earlier, a bout of "Shoulder fatigue" can put him on the DL, give him a two week break and then let him pitch for a while in A/AA to straighten things out.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

2014, 2015 FIP:

Garza: 3.54, 4.94

Shields: 3.45, 4.45 (and 4.42 in 2016)

Shields was good 2 seasons ago, same as Garza.

Shields has also benefited from pitching half of his games at Petco Park, a very pitcher-friendly park, whereas Garza has been pitching half of his games at Miller Park, a notorious launching pad.

Best case scenario, we're probably gonna be stuck paying at least a portion of what Garza is owed over the next two years regardless if he can come back and pitch well enough to become a decent trade chip or not so he's gonna need some starts. Wily just needs to be demoted to AAA and reset himself. He's basically been this year's version of Lohse in the rotation with the only silver lining being he's costing us a 1/5th of what Lohse did to suck every fifth day.

Voting goes with Wily Peralta. Hasn't his demotion been discussed with questions to CC? I would say those questions and his demotion hasn't happened yet because Garza hasn't returned. Since he will get another start or two before Garza's return, Peralta's numbers in those starts likely speaks to his demotion on its own. Looking ahead that would come at home vs NYM and @LADodgers. 1 Quality start in 12 games started. I wouldn't think there is another SP in baseball with just 1 or less QS with 10starts or more.

I'm looking it up. So far Ubaldo Jimenez with a higher ERA has 3QS, Jake Peavy has over 3, Wade Miley has 3, Finally Mike Pelfrey has 2 in 11GS, Here's one Anibal Sanchez who's last appearance was in BP 0QS, Clay Bucholtz has 2 in 10GS and has 3 bullpen appearances now, Shelby Miller has 1 in 10GS, Even Alfredo Simon has 2QS with approaching 9ERA in 10GS and that's it for 10GS. He would rank then 2nd or 3rd worst depending where you want to put Miller in Starting Pitchers. 10GS-12 but 7ERA.

At 1/3+ on the season in starts to basically be bottom 3 in all of Baseball as a SP has no more rights to continue on starting.

i'm all for sending Peralta down to the minors to work out the kinks. preferably AA, as we've seen the confidence boost that Jungmann got in Colorado Springs.

in the next couple weeks when Knebel, Garza, Blazek are back as well, moving Peralta down to the minors would also allow us to keep another reliever, longer. five spots are set with Jeffress, smith, knebel, Thornburg, blazek. then I would think that the brewers would want to keep both marinez and Ramirez, who have the most upside of all the remaining relievers (torres, Capuano, boyer), who are receiving every opportunity to succeed in order to increase their trade value.

seeing the posts about sending davies down for a month to gain an extra year of service time makes team sense as well. I would do this in addition to Peralta and move Thornburg or smith in the rotation to take davies' spot. I don't think they'll "forget" how to be a reliever and ruin their trade value if they falter (they can always be moved back to the bullpen), but potentially could raise their stock even more if they succeed as starters. would love to see them get another chance.

In this case, you have someone who's obviously awaiting a replacement. And that person isn't Davies.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Davies has a 4.53 ERA - I wouldn't agree with sending him down, but it's certainly defensible to an agent.

Davies ERA is 4.29 now. He's been our best pitcher other than Nelson. Can't send him down. He needs to keep progressing at the big league level. He might really be something. I thought he might only be like a 5th starter or at best a bad team's #4. He might end up being a #3 if he keeps this up.

i'm all for sending Peralta down to the minors to work out the kinks. preferably AA, as we've seen the confidence boost that Jungmann got in Colorado Springs.

in the next couple weeks when Knebel, Garza, Blazek are back as well, moving Peralta down to the minors would also allow us to keep another reliever, longer. five spots are set with Jeffress, smith, knebel, Thornburg, blazek. then I would think that the brewers would want to keep both marinez and Ramirez, who have the most upside of all the remaining relievers (torres, Capuano, boyer), who are receiving every opportunity to succeed in order to increase their trade value.

seeing the posts about sending davies down for a month to gain an extra year of service time makes team sense as well. I would do this in addition to Peralta and move Thornburg or smith in the rotation to take davies' spot. I don't think they'll "forget" how to be a reliever and ruin their trade value if they falter (they can always be moved back to the bullpen), but potentially could raise their stock even more if they succeed as starters. would love to see them get another chance.

They aren't going to mess around with with Thornburg or Smith. TT has finally found his niche and has been pitching great. Smith is coming off an injury and neither guy is stretched out.

No way that happens

Archived