Brewer Fanatic

Which starting pitcher gets dropped when Garza comes back?

dacbrewers

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Davies has been pitching pretty well lately, they'll probably ride Guerra until the league figures him out, and Peralta has been pretty horrific from the start of the season until now.

In fact over the last month Davies has been pretty stellar.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=davieza02&year=2016&t=p

I don't know what can be done to help turn Peralta around... but just going out there every 5 days and doing the same thing he's doing isn't working.

You may as well add Chase Anderson to the list of players who could be displaced. Also, consider the possibility that a starter could be moved to the bullpen.

It's gotten interesting now because you could argue that nobody clearly deserves a demotion at this point. That's definitely a change from a month ago.

An issue to be considered is that while Peralta has options, he's reached a point in his career where he'd have to clear waivers to be sent down.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I wouldn't be surprised to see Peralta go on the DL with shoulder fatigue or some such.

This would be my preferred route. That way he can get rest and then rehab at Wisconsin/Brevard. If we demote him he goes to Colorado(yuck) and I am really reluctant to sending him to the pen.

You may as well add Chase Anderson to the list of players who could be displaced. Also, consider the possibility that a starter could be moved to the bullpen.

It's gotten interesting now because you could argue that nobody clearly deserves a demotion at this point. That's definitely a change from a month ago.

I looked at Peralta's last 28 days, and he's been pretty brutal lately, as much as he was in April. I think I'd make the argument that if anyone is deserving of a demotion, it's Peralta (if they don't make up a phantom "injury" for him that is)

I think it's Peralta. If not DL like some suggest, then I predict he gets sent to the minors (I don't think he can refuse any such assignment).

If he goes to the minors, he work on his mechanics or whatever the club feels he needs. He's no use stinking up the rotation. He's got to improve, and he's just not doing that now.

A bullpen move could also happen, but I'd bet on the minors move first.

Peralta is the obvious choice. DL, bullpen, or sent down. He really hasn't been better, just luckier. Lots of line drives right at defenders to bail him out. Still lots of hits given up, and not striking anybody out.

Wily can't refuse an optional assignment. That won't happen until he reaches five years of service.

But to be optioned, he'd have to clear waivers. Waivers are required to option players after the third anniversary of their first MLB callup.

The Brewers can pull Peralta back from waivers if he is claimed as well. Kind of a silly rule but if you are a NL Central team maybe you claim him so he stays in the Brewers starting rotation.

Optional assignment waivers are irrevocable. We don't hear about this type of waivers often because it's unusual that a team needs to consider optioning a player with three-plus years of experience.

Trade waivers can be revoked. But they only come into play during the waiver period that begins in August. They're not necessary the rest of the year because players can be traded without waivers.

but if you are a NL Central team maybe you claim him so he stays in the Brewers starting rotation.

If they claim him they have to put him on their 25 man roster, right? I would think that would be funny watching a playoff contender pitching Peralta. That would be worth the price of losing him. :tongue

Back to the original question, I would assume Peralta to the bullpen and Garza to the starting lineup. For better or worse if no one else gets DL'd, Barnes is in the yoyo position, right - so he would go down. Barnes can come back up once they shed Torres and Boyer in July.

Optional assignment waivers are irrevocable. We don't hear about this type of waivers often because it's unusual that a team needs to consider optioning a player with three-plus years of experience.

Thank you for the clarification. I imagine it is the bullpen for Wily (or DL).

However, if the club is willing to cut ties with Peralta, they might just let someone claim him and be off the hook for the rest of his salary. Not a huge amount, but you never know. I could see the team just saying to themselves that he's never going to be a decent starter going forward, and he wouldn't be worth putting in the bullpen. If that's the case, they may just let him walk after the season anyhow. But I doubt that happens. They'll try him in the pen for a month or something, see if he can right himself, then give him another chance.

I could see the team just saying to themselves that he's never going to be a decent starter going forward, and he wouldn't be worth putting in the bullpen.

I can see the first part of that statement, but not the second part. I have to imagine that giving Peralta 1/2 year in the BP is worth seeing if you can reclaim some use out of him. He still has some good stuff and could be useful in the BP. Plus, spending some time in the BP might give him a chance to step back into the SP role next year.

Trade waivers can be revoked. But they only come into play during the waiver period that begins in August. They're not necessary the rest of the year because players can be traded without waivers.

Actually optional waivers are revocable:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=11361

http://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3525

but if you are a NL Central team maybe you claim him so he stays in the Brewers starting rotation.

If they claim him they have to put him on their 25 man roster, right? I would think that would be funny watching a playoff contender pitching Peralta. That would be worth the price of losing him. :tongue

What I am saying is somebody claims him knowing the rebuilding Brewers won't just let him go so the Brewers pull him back and just stick him back in the rotation even though he has not been good.

Maybe Garza never makes it back? Maybe he starts in the pen? Maybe a 6-man rotation? Just throwing stuff out there but Peralta is the guy right now doing his job that well.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Clearly you're all right that Peralta is the worst of our current rotation. I also understand why Garza gets a shot when he comes back. But I put his chances of outpitching Wily at about 50-50.

Clearly you're all right that Peralta is the worst of our current rotation. I also understand why Garza gets a shot when he comes back. But I put his chances of outpitching Wily at about 50-50.

Garza has been a much more talented pitcher over his career than Peralta. He also does have more than one pitch.

I don't think the call has to be made yet. Peralta's last 3 starts since Counsell publicly questioned his spot in the rotation he has been 4.5 ERA/4.57 FIP/3.85 xFIP. Not great but trending in the right direction. A couple of bad starts and it is him, but I think he can justifiably hold his spot if he can throw a couple of quality ones.

If Davies is mediocre over his next couple starts I could see him getting a temporary demotion that conveniently reduces service time.

Archived