Brewer Fanatic

Blazek to DL; Barnes to be recalled (Latest: Blazek back, Knebel optioned; post 10]

markedman5

Could explain Blazek getting smoked in his last appearance? Imagine Smith will take over 7th inning duties.

I would have been okay with either Barnes or Magnifico, but hard to argue with a 1.21 ERA and a WHIP under 1 at Colo. Springs.

Barnes has earned his opportunity, welcome to the show Jacob!

Wow, I'm surprised, the Brewers finally called up someone who deserved an opportunity instead of picking someone of the waiver garbage pile. Maybe he can stick so they won't need to burn one of his options.

• 3 weeks later...

the brewers seem content to stick with an eight-man bullpen. blazek is activated, and barnes gets to stay for the time being.

corey knebel was optioned. if knebel stays optioned for a total of twenty days this season, he will have burned his final option.

Knebel, Goforth, Magnifico, Houser and possibly, Hader (just to limit his innings) are all bullpen pitchers the Brewers need to see if there are injuries or if Smith, Jeffress, Thornburg, Boyer, Torres, Marinez or Blazek were traded. Knebel just needs to "get right." I'd like to see Barnes in some more pressure situations.

I'm a little surprised by the Knebel optioning, but it was kind of obvious he wasn't right. Let him go down and work out the kinks for a couple of weeks.

knebel likely won't be down for even that long, according to craig counsell. as mentioned above, if knebel truly spends only ten days or so in the minors, is recalled and stays with the team or the major league disabled list for the rest of the season, he will not have burned his 2016 option.

unless replacing an injured player, knebel must remain optioned for at least ten days.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm a little surprised by the Knebel optioning, but it was kind of obvious he wasn't right. Let him go down and work out the kinks for a couple of weeks.

knebel likely won't be down for even that long, according to craig counsell. as mentioned above, if knebel truly spends only ten days or so in the minors, is recalled and stays with the team or the major league disabled list for the rest of the season, he will not have burned his 2016 option.

unless replacing an injured player, knebel must remain optioned for at least ten days.

knebel has certainly worked out the kinks. if he isn't recalled in the next couple of days, he will have spent more than 20 days optioned in 2016, and his final minor league option will be burned.

I hope they call him back up for the Cardinals series. Having the option available is far more valuable to the Brewers than the service time with Knebel. Just gives them more flexibility next year.

Archived