Brewer Fanatic

ARTICLE: Scouting Wisconsin 2006

Cool article.....I've faced a few of the guys on the list....too bad we can't get the talent (at UWM) from the best in state players. If we could have gotten Rohlinger (OU), Butler (Arkansas), and Zink (Conference rival UIC), I think we'd have a great shot of getting into the tournament and then some this year......

I got one of 2 hits our team had my junior year of high school when we faced him. Threw about 92 consistently with a wicked curve, and that was in high school.

We faced Berken at state in '02 when my team faced DePere. He struck out 5 of the 6 he faced, but our Catcher did go yard off of him. Definetly a stud...

I wish there would've been some mention of some of the local talent from the team that won the DIII championship in baseball, Univeristy of Wisconsin-Whitewater. No mention at all of All-American Reinhard, he went to Depere and was drafted pretty early. Or the state player of the year, that SS from Sun Prairie who went in like the 12 round...

I appreciate the replies, as I received quite a few emails as well.

The story was about the '06 draftees, so I wasn't about to mention Reinhard, who is already in the D-Rays system. Kevyn Feiner also signed, with the Reds, so he also doesn't apply to this story (unless you're referring to my comment about '05 being a down year, which it still was).

I do agree that UWM needs to work on their recruiting better. My understanding is that they don't put much effort into the program, as any UWM alum from before the past 5-7 years can tell you they didn't put much effort into any of their spots not too long ago, and now basketball is the only one that seems to get their love & attention. Check out Henry Aaron Field sometime. It's too bad they can't play at Miller Park, as I'm sure that would be a huge recruiting chip, but I would imagine there are some serious financial issues involved just for the upkeep (not like the Golden Gophers playing in the turf-based Metrodome in which little to no maintenance is required).

Ya I play on Henry Aaron field....it is a dump...my high school field is better. It wouldn't take much effort to improve recruiting, especially because they dont have to compete with Madison...

By the way the basketball program is certainly thriving....my roomate plays on the team!

Playmaker, are you on the UWM team? If so, do you mind if I ask who you are?

If you are on the team, best wishes this season. I hope to get out to see a couple of games this spring, and at some point I want to talk to Jerry Augustine for a feature story.

I want to point out that I missed one big name from the WI prep ranks, RHP R.J. Seidel from La Crosse Central. He is 6'6", 205, and currently throws in the 87-88 range with plenty of room for added velocity. He also throws a decent CB, and he could easily vault up prospect ists this spring if he starts to refine his stuff while improving his velocity. He like Chad Pierce and Tony Butler has committed to Arkansas.

He also attended the Area Code Games last spring in California, invted by the White Sox to participate.

Another emailer wanted to bring another prep RHP to my attention, Jason Hooper from Lake Mills. Known in the state more for football than baseball, he has committed to Jacksonville University to play both sports. He's another big kid at 6'5", 235 pounds, and his fastball is in the 87-90 range with a decent curve. Like Seidel, he has the measurables and present day stuff to make a big jump this spring.

Yes, I do play on the baseball team here at UWM. I'd rather refrain from giving my name, but I enjoyed your article. I'll be looking forward to that article and the games this weekend....should be a nice weather change down in Cali....I'll be sure to be at some games watching the Crew this spring and summer.

• 2 months later...

Patrick,

A nice read...Ryan's a great kid (although I wish he would have given a shout out to his former travel teamhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif )

I expect big things from him next year.

• 1 month later...
Does Mike Goetz from UWM have a chance to play in MLB? I keep reading about him in the MJS, and he was pretty much dominant in the Horizon. He hit .495/.581/.690, 41 BB/18 K, led the nation in hitting, won Horizon POY, had a 30+ game hitting streak. Is he just a courtesy draft, though?

This won't mean a thing as to his major league possibilies, but I played against Goetz in high school (and even earlier) and he is a great baseball player. He has good speed and is a good defensive outfielder. He's just about the best player I've ever played with/against, so obviously I'll be rooting for him.

Think Steve Sollmann for Mike Goetz. Short on tools, but he should put up decent numbers in rookie ball and low A ball. How he fares after that is definitely in question.

Like Sollmann, I could see Goetz's big year propelling him to a 10-15 round selection.

Hey Colby not sure if u ever got around to goin to watch the fondy O West game at all (I only got to see the last one in the playoffs where fondy won 3-0 i believe) but do you still Wes or Chad makin top 15 rounds or no. They didnt have there typical year amazin hitting season but with the way Wes played over the summer travel all over the mid west and Pierces great showin at the allstate all-star game last Augest (like 3-4 with i think 2 doubles and throw a bunch of runners out) I wish them the best in the draft and if not picked overly high i wish them the best at Arkansas and Mizzou.

I can honestly say Piece is the only pitcher that i have never gotten a hit off of and im talkin starting in like 4th grade until 10th and i think he took me yard once! LOL I sucked!

There's a pitcher from my home town of Lake Mills, Jason Hooper, who I was wondering if you had heard of. From what I've heard he's supposed to be a ~top 10 Wisconsin pitching prospect. Is he major league material and where will he be drafted. ;

Archived