Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Claim RHP Neil Ramirez, Walsh DFA'd; Ramirez DFA'd; Knebel activated; Latest: Ramirez claimed by Twins (post 49)

Surhoff5
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

My 2 cents on Walsh: he was an interesting player to take a risk on. It just didn't work out. He's not ready for major league pitching - maybe will never be. But we tried something - it's what we should be doing now.

Walsh also became redundant (I think) with Perez playing well this year - plus Nate Orf has similar skills. Walsh switch hit, but that was his only real advantage. And his glove was mediocre at best.

The team has better options going forward, and he's just taking up a roster spot. No point in that. Like I said, no real harm. We took a flyer on a guy. Just didn't work out.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About time on Walsh. I'm thinking how well Villar has turned out makes the attempt of keeping pointless. Any week now, Arcia could be called up.

Brewers get to take a look at Ramirez who's had prior success unlike Walsh. Walsh for what it's worth, may have helped some of the mindset in taking walks with a few...like Gennett being better as a result. Thanks if that really happened. Brewers can probably get Walsh in 3 or 4 years when he can have a new affect on the guys that could use a little more patience.

Any week now, Arcia could be called up.

Could, but won't.

Yeah, my guess is that barring injury Hill will get the majority of PT at third until he gets traded. At that time, Perez will get most of the PT at third, with Rivera getting called up as "super utility guy."

Although he's obviously the most talented of the bunch, I doubt Arcia will get called up until at the earliest September. I'm not even sure he'll be the starting SS to start next year, as they may keep him down until cutoff next year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If Arcia was hitting .330+, walking at a 10% clip, getting tons of extra base hits & just dominant I would be fine calling him up but honestly he is simply have a good season. Hasnt lit the world on fire and there are still things to improve upon. With Villar playing at an All-Star level, no need to rush

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Arcia won't and shouldn't be up until this time next year. No need to start the clock early, especially in losing seasons. Money's to valuable to small market teams.

Aren't the Brewers just 6 or 7 games out of the wild card?. The best players should be up and he is one of them. Arcia saves at least one hit a game. I have watched a majority of the Colorado Springs games and every day he is making unbelievable plays. Bring him up!

Arcia won't and shouldn't be up until this time next year. No need to start the clock early, especially in losing seasons. Money's to valuable to small market teams.

Aren't the Brewers just 6 or 7 games out of the wild card?. The best players should be up and he is one of them. Arcia saves at least one hit a game. I have watched a majority of the Colorado Springs games and every day he is making unbelievable plays. Bring him up!

They're 4.5 back and behind 4 other teams, 2 of which are clearly more talented. They're also under .500. At this point in the season that's not in contention and should no way influence whether or not Arcia is called up.

If the Brewers are a game or two back at the end of July I could understand that thought. Still might not move him up as he hasn't hit all that well but I could understand it. Bring 4.5 back at the start of June? Too early.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I wish Walsh had hit even a little bit because his OBP skills are incredible. Really would like to hang on to his rights if possible. This seems like the kind of guy the Cardinals bring up at age 28 and he goes for like .850 OPS. (yes, I know he was originally a Cardinals farmhand).
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Maybe I should know this, but are there rules for holding a player in the minors so as to delay their service time clock starting? If the Brewers were World Series contenders right now, you'd imagine Arcia would be up in the big leagues already, or at least very soon to be. But since we are rebuilding, he will sit in the minors for the foreseeable future, missing out on that MLB check for up to an extra year (or is he already getting a big league caliber check as a top prospect?). Doesn't seem fair to him, though obviously it is what's best for the Brewers and I'm glad they're taking their time.
I am not Shea Vucinich

The Brewers need to focus on 2018 with all moves they make. Villar has been good, let's see how scooter does over a full 2016 and then figure out what to do with all 3 next spring training

Maybe I should know this, but are there rules for holding a player in the minors so as to delay their service time clock starting? If the Brewers were World Series contenders right now, you'd imagine Arcia would be up in the big leagues already, or at least very soon to be. But since we are rebuilding, he will sit in the minors for the foreseeable future, missing out on that MLB check for up to an extra year (or is he already getting a big league caliber check as a top prospect?). Doesn't seem fair to him, though obviously it is what's best for the Brewers and I'm glad they're taking their time.

Sure. After (x) number of years (and I'm not going to go look it up) they can become minor league free agents. The Phillies kind of hosed Ryan Howard by keeping him down (because they had Jim Thome) and well.... he's kinda hosing them now, so it all comes around in the end.

If this current Brewers team was competing for a World Series I don't think he'd be up yet either since Villar has been playing so well.

If this current Brewers team was competing for a World Series I don't think he'd be up yet either since Villar has been playing so well.

Yes he would, but not to replace Villar, but to move Villar to second. Scooter is playing the worst on the infield.

this was surprising to me. for an organization all about acquiring and holding on to talent, surprising to see them risk losing Ramirez over just sending barnes back down. hopefully he slips through. from everything I read, sounds like he has some respectable upside, but then again they actually get to see him.

It wasn't just about the 25 man though. They have to start making room on the 40 man when guys like Garza and Jones come back from the 60 day DL. This move saves a spot for Garza, will have to make another move to the 40 man when Jones is ready to return. Looking at the 40 man roster the most likely guys are probably Wilkins as a positional player and then the veteran bullpen guys like Ramirez, Torres, Capuano, Boyer. Since Torres and Boyer are pitching okay and Capuano is hurt then Ramirez was the odd man out to remove.

There are no rules where a player is clearly this great that he has to be brought up. There are the rules with how long before you have them before you have to protect on the 40 man and then the 25 man roster to retain them, that is the only protection for a minor leaguer that I know of.

As for bringing up Arcia if we were contenders, to tell the truth, how do we know that if we moved Villar right now off from SS that won't effect his hitting? Plus, I don't think we can assume that Arcia will be able to hit a darn, at least to begin with, and not more than what Hill will give us this year. So if we were playoff contenders I actually would not assume he would be brought up. He isn't a hitter like Braun, his best value is defense and that isn't that much more valuable over Villar to make that kind of change.

It wasn't just about the 25 man though. They have to start making room on the 40 man when guys like Garza and Jones come back from the 60 day DL. This move saves a spot for Garza, will have to make another move to the 40 man when Jones is ready to return. Looking at the 40 man roster the most likely guys are probably Wilkins as a positional player and then the veteran bullpen guys like Ramirez, Torres, Capuano, Boyer. Since Torres and Boyer are pitching okay and Capuano is hurt then Ramirez was the odd man out to remove.

Yeah they need room on the 40 man for Garza, but can't they just release Capuano? I liked how Barnes looked but somebody will be moved to make room on the 25 man roster, and Barnes has options. As for Jones, really? Don't they have enough guys ahead of him?

Ramírez could remain in the orgainzation if he clears waivers. We should know if he cleared tomorrow or Saturday, depending on the time he was placed on waivers. I don't think he can refuse an outright assignment if that's what the team wants to do.

Cutting a position player wouldn't have helped the Major League roster at this point. The team is already one position player short in order to accommodate an eight-man bullpen.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived