Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Claim RHP Neil Ramirez, Walsh DFA'd; Ramirez DFA'd; Knebel activated; Latest: Ramirez claimed by Twins (post 49)

Surhoff5

‏@ChrisCotillo

Source: Brewers claim RHP Neil Ramirez off waivers from Cubs.

This is interesting as the 40 man roster is full. With Smith coming back, Goforth is probably a lock to be sent down. Who's spot will Ramirez take? I am hoping it's Torres over Jhan Marinez.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ramirez hasn't been designated for assignment before, so perhaps DFA him right away, hope he clears waivers, and stash him in AAA?

Andy Wilkins still has a 40-man spot - he seem to be the guy most in jeopardy to me. They could also give up on Walsh... he's barely played recently.

I assume Goforth gets sent back down, but I was assuming they'd send him back when Smith was activated in a few days. They could also go with an 8-man pen, I guess.

Goforth could also be DFA'd. I don't know that he'd be claimed, and if he was I don't think that it would be a huge loss.

If I had to guess, Capuano gets released (they can always bring him back if nobody else wants him), and Goforth is sent down. Kind of remarkable that Ramirez wasn't claimed by Reds. I'm guessing like their other claims, Ramirez is on short leash himself. They may decide to pull the plug on Walsh experiment, and go with 8 relievers when Smith returns.

Never really got a fair shake but also didn't take advantage of his opportunities.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

good night, sweet prince.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

If Walsh was a potentially decent to good fielder I could see it but at this point I think it's over. Unless he becomes a minor league FA with no compensation or need to keep him on the 40 man because he clearly is not one of our best 40 players.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some team claimed him. He has shown he can take a walk and plays multiple positions. There are several rebuilding teams who might have more use for him that we do. Even if he will never be a part of a winning team he could be useful as filler waiting for the farm to grow. Give the state of the Reds and Braves I can't help but think they could use someone like him to fill out a roster at league minimum for a few years.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Even rebuilding teams like Brewers can't keep unproductive players on a hope they'll turn it around.

Umm, yes they can. Rebuilding means you can take younger players that are struggling and see if they can work through it. Rebuilding teams don't/shouldn't care about wins and losses.

Not too sure I understand the Ramirez pickup. We already have two guys coming back in relief. Are two guys going to AAA and then other guys being released? It's a shame that guys at AAA who deserve a shot are being overlooked. Barnes should of been called up before picking up another dime a dozen reliever.

Not too sure I understand the Ramirez pickup. We already have two guys coming back in relief. Are two guys going to AAA and then other guys being released? It's a shame that guys at AAA who deserve a shot are being overlooked. Barnes should of been called up before picking up another dime a dozen reliever.

Ramirez and Barnes are the same age, and Ramirez has posted a sub 1.5 ERA in the Majors just two years ago. Maybe he never gets his velocity back, but I am not sure that constitutes as "dime a dozen".

Ramirez and Barnes are the same age, and Ramirez has posted a sub 1.5 ERA in the Majors just two years ago. Maybe he never gets his velocity back, but I am not sure that constitutes as "dime a dozen".

Two years ago is a long time. He has been horrible this year and lost velocity over the last two years and has had a walk an inning this year. If he was better than average, more teams than the Brewers would of claimed him off waivers. In most cases, the players that the Brewers pick up, never get claimed by anyone else. He is probably injured too, like other relief pitchers who got picked up preseason and have never thrown a pitch. It's ok though, we like paying guys who don't play.

In 2104, he threw 72% fastballs, 17.4% sliders...fast forward 2016....he throws 50.7% fastballs and 40.4% sliders courtesy of fangraphs.

When a team claims a player off (non-revocable) waivers, isn't it always the case that no other team claimed him?

Yes, and since the Brewers are bad it is kind of hard to say no one else would claim him especially when picking up Ramirez since he goes through the NL teams first.

Then what happens when multiple teams place a claim on a player? Do they then have to bid for him and he gets to chose? Or something else? Thanks

It goes to the team with the lowest winning percentage.

When a team claims a player off (non-revocable) waivers, isn't it always the case that no other team claimed him?

Well it at least means that no teams (do they still split by league?) with a worse record wanted to pick up the player.

If a player has been placed on optional assignment waivers, outright assignment waivers, or outright release waivers (all irrevocable), the club awarded the claim is based on W-L record regardless of league. If he's been placed on trade assignment waivers (revocable), teams in his own league have priority.

Waiver requests are transmitted at 2:00PM each business day. (I assume that's Eastern Time.) If a request is made after 2:00PM, it's transmitted the following day. Every day is considered a business day during the season. During the off-season, weekends and several holidays aren't included as business days.

During the off-season and during the first 30 days of the season, the previous year's W-L record is used to determine claim priority. Beginning with the 31st day of the season, the current year's W-L record is used. If teams making a claim have the same W-L record, the previous year's record is used as a tie-breaker. If two teams are still tied, MLB goes back a season further.

Teams have about 48 hours to make a claim, so it's possible that a team better than the Brewers may have made a claim first. Where a player goes isn't officially decided until until 1:00 PM on the second business day after the waiver request is made.

Designating a player for assignment allows a team to remove the player from its 40-man roster immediately while the waiver process sorts itself out.

Here's a source that appears to be up to date as of this year.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived