Brewer Fanatic

Did anyone else hope they got drafted once upon a time?

I know that when I was a kid, I always dreamed that I would play in the big leagues. When I grew up, I was fairly decent player in H.S. and played a couple of years in DIII college and I always hoped that maybe I'd be drafted in like the 46th round or something. I know some scouts were there at my HS games to check on some players and I hoped maybe they saw something in me, a left-handed outfielder with a decent fastball (83 or so) and good change up.

Did anyone else hope they would get drafted when they played ball?

Every year, I joke with my wife that maybe THIS is the year even though I'm nearly 34 now.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Every year my buddy and I email/call eachother asking if we've been drafted yet. It started in college when someone said "how can you listen to the MLB draft--everyone gets drafted." Well, we have yet to hear our names called yet.

Yeah, I always held out hope that by some weird planetary alignment I would get a call. There were always scouts at my college games, unfortunately it wasn't on days that I pitched. I guess that should have told me something right there. It was cool to see some of the opponents who were being scouted and to see some of my friends/teammates get drafted.

Not really sure of the exact details, but my Dad was a Twins draft pick back in the day. He never signed, but I can't recall why.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

A childhood friend of mine did get drafted by the Phillies in '87. He turned them down.

Two years later, the Phillies, Red Sox, Mariners and Blue Jays all called him the night before the draft to tell him they were going to take him somewhere in the 20s (rounds), but that they wanted his assurance he would sign if they did. He told every one of them he would sign, but that other teams had called too. No one took him.

I tried everything I could to get him to show up in Madison or Beloit and ask for a tryout. He wouldn't. His career ended in the Home Talent League.

All these years later, I'd still like to smack him for that.

Archived