Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Saturday 5/21 - It's a Diplan / Peralta Night in Appleton (and on TV)!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Saturday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: RHP Hiram Burgos at home vs. Las Vegas (Mets), 6:30 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: RHP Adrian Houser at Tennessee (Cubs), 5:45 PM pre-game, 6:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Harris is the play-by-play voice of the Shuckers. Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. Thaddeus Krzus (@Shucks1stIntern) joins Chris often. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them.

Brevard County: RHP Jon Perrin at Jupiter (Marlins), 4:30 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link (Jupiter feed)

Unfortunately, the Manatees have dropped their broadcast coverage for 2016.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV. Ten of the 12 Florida State League teams provide audio (some only for home games), we'll do our best to let you know when an opponent's audio is going to be available.

Wisconsin: RHP Marcos Diplan at home vs. Kane County (Diamondbacks), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime; expect RHP Freddy Peralta to pitch in a tandem role

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

NOTE: Thirty-nine (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on local TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (10) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (29) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule (scroll to bottom of link) so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Look for these just prior to the respective game times --

Colorado Springs Media Notes - Linked on the Sky Sox official blog

Biloxi Media Notes - Linked on the Shuck Dynasty blog

Wisconsin Media Notes - Linked on the Rattler Radio blog

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League South Division

High-A - Florida State League North Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Sortable individual stat pages:

Colorado Springs

Biloxi

Brevard County

Wisconsin

Weather.com:

Colorado Springs, CO

Kodak, TN

Jupiter, FL

Grand Chute, WI

Trent Clark left the game after the 1st inning and Isan Diaz just made a play where he ended up on the other side of 2nd base on a grounder to get the runner. I'm not sure it was actually an out, but damn it was a nice play and I hope it makes the highlights.

If the TV crew passes along anything on the nature of Clark's issue I'll update.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Community Moderator

Final: Jupiter 2, Brevard County 0

Perrin takes tough-luck loss against Jupiter

By Donald Rieber, Jr., Manatees Examiner

Brevard County Box Score

It was an up and down game for Jon Perrin. His line is partially noted above (7.0 IP, 1 earned run, 3 strikeouts). He did allow 6 hits and while he didn't walk anyone he did plunk two batters. Perrin also had a throwing error on a pick-off attempt to first base that allowed the runner to advance to third and ultimately score an unearned run on a sacrifice fly. Perrin threw 58 of his 77 pitches for strikes.

RF Elvis Rubio went 3-for-4 including a double. The double was the only extra base hit of the night for the Manatees, and only their third extra base hit (all doubles) over their past 8 games (and actually just the second extra base hit in the last 7 games).

Fidel Pena (2-for-4) was the other Manatee with a multi hit game. Pena is batting .289 over his past 10 games.

Brevard County Game Log

Johnny Davis led off the game with a hit to extend his on-base streak to 27 games and his hitting streak to 6 games. Over the past 6 games Davis is 10-for-20 at the plate. Over that stretch 7 of those 10 singles are infield hits including 2 bunts for base hits. Even for as speedy as he is, Davis was caught stealing for the 10th time this year.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Fast Start Leads to Rattlers Win

Denson Homers; Diplan & Peralta combine for 15 Ks in 7-3 victory

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/5/3/2/179529532/cuts/5_21_PlayerOfTheGame_sbcgpiet_9ztclrlw.png

Marcos Diplan struck out seven and allowed two unearned runs over five innings and earned his fifth win of the season on Saturday night.

Wisconsin Boxscore

Marcos Diplan throws from a high 3/4 arm slot with the typical fall off towards 1B. I don't recall the TV crew giving a velo reading on him tonight but he was able to get FBs past hitters. He works mostly up and his control needs work, but he continues to be effective doing it his way. Freddy Peralta comes from a bit lower than 3/4, but not a low 3/4 slot, he's inbetween for the most part. He's generally around the plate, he does a great job running the FB up under hitters hands. I believe the TV crew said he hit 94 on the stadium gun. All in all it was an excellent pitching performance allowing just 5 hits with 15 strike outs, though of course 1 of those hits was a HR.

Luis Aviles (3-4,3B) is hitting everything very hard right now, as in line drives all over the place. He's hitting .378 over his 10 games and has pushed his AVE back up to .303. Outside of David Denson I'd be hard pressed to name a player who's progressed farther between seasons, but unlike Denson he's caught me completely by surprise. I guess I could put Mitch Ghelfi in that category as well, with Alan Sharkey (2-4) faltering early he took over the 1B job (DH today) and is hitting .333 in 84 ABs and has played strong defense in his own right. Max McDowell (2-3,BB) rounded out the multi hit performances and is threatening the .300 mark again.

This team continues to float around .500, but I think they are better than that, I think they could compete for a 2nd half title pending promotions to BC.

Regarding the Trent Clark injury it didn't look like anything live, or on the replay, it was weak slide into 3rd and he got up normally and walked to the dugout afterwards, but there's an update in the Rattler Radio postgame regarding the nature of the injury.

Wisconsin Recap

Postgame Post – May 21, 2016

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Bullpen falters in 10-9 loss to Smokies

Adrian Houser tosses his second quality start in last three outings

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/9/5/2/179522952/cuts/Houser_SH_angw5hij_pxxvo5sd.jpg

Adrian Houser worked six innings of quality baseball on Saturday night in a no decision (Sun Herald)

Biloxi Boxscore

I don't hate many things, but I do hate the "quality start" nonsense, it's the epitome of celebrating mediocrity. I realize they are looking to spin Adrian Houser's recent work in the most positive light, but I really wish the quality thing would just go away. Houser was much better today allowing just the 1 run, the walks and hits were down but so were the SOs. Unfortunately the bullpen was awful.

The hitters did more than enough collecting 11 hits and 9 runs, they got to Duane Underwood who's a pretty decent Cubs' pitching prospect (ranked #4 by BA) for 3 runs in 5 innings, but it didn't hold up.

Biloxi Recap

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Las Vegas 4, Colorado Springs 3

Sky Sox Downed 4-3 By Las Vegas

Scoreless start from Hiram Burgos not enough to earn Sky Sox the win

By Aaron Cheris / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/0/1/0/179531010/cuts/05_21_2753sm_pk_k4wtwelm_4fw64a3q.jpg

Shane Peterson hit his first home run of the season in the Sky Sox loss on Saturday. (Paat Kelly photo)

Sky Sox Pitchers Helping Themselves At The Plate

Streak ended last night as Burgos fanned in his only at-bat...

VIDEO via KRDO: Includes Manny Pina's triple

Colorado Springs Box Score

Manny Pina 4th in the PCL batting race, 9th in OPS...

Colorado Springs Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Check out this video of a full at-bat Marcos Diplan strikeout, but also watch Monte Harrison's effort (and near-injury) on a foul pop into the stands, along with Chris Mehring's spot-on audio call throughout --

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Reminder to check out the Rattler Radio Blog postgame entry linked above, which includes:

Matt Erickson’s pregame interview with me with some other injury updates on Matos, Neuhaus, and Harber and a lot more.

Matt said that Trent Clark left with an injury to his right hamstring. Clark will be evaluated tomorrow morning.

You know.... A little more flow to Diplan's hair, with the beard, he kind of looks like Yo on the mound in the video.

As I say every 5th day, Peralta/Diplan days are my favorite days! They just keep getting better!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't hate many things, but I do hate the "quality start" nonsense, it's the epitome of celebrating mediocrity. I realize they are looking to spin Adrian Houser's recent work in the most positive light, but I really wish the quality thing would just go away. Houser was much better today allowing just the 1 run, the walks and hits were down but so were the SOs. Unfortunately the bullpen was awful.

And its rather deceiving also. The two QS both were 6IP with 1ER. The non-QS was 6.1IP with 5ER. It sells short his two good outings and "hides" his bad outing.

Oddly, Houser hasn't had anything close to a QS (6 IP, 3 ER). He has been Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde; either giving up 0 or 1ER in 5-6 IP. Or giving up a run/inning or more.

I'd just take the quality starts stat it for what it is, realize its limitations (as CheezWizHed has pointed out), and ignore the fact that it's poorly named. It's usefulness is limited, but it's not so useless that it tells us nothing at all.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived