Brewer Fanatic

Conger vs. Sapp question

Colby, I'm trying to get a handle on Conger and Sapp, as HS catching seems to be a likely way for the Brewers to go in this year's first round. I see that you have Conger rated ahead of Sapp, but I can't find much in earlier threads that compares the two. Would you, and anyone else with an opinion, mind sharing your thoughts on how they compare? Also, does either of them present an especially tough signability issue (i.e., Boras)? Thanks in advance.

Greg.

Greg, I'll provide some links to stories I have written including both prep catchers, along with some important snippets taken from those links:

PG Crack of the Bat: Aflac top tools

Best Pure Hitter

1. Chris Parmelee

2. Chris Marrero

3. Nathan Bridges

Parmelee may have not provided the big hit or slugged awe-inspiring home runs during the derby, but he had the smoothest stroke of all hitters in attendance. He has good power now, and I could see more developing given his swing and his knack for making contact. Fewer hit the ball with more authority than Marrero, while Nathan Bridges impressed me with his ability to squarely hit the ball consistently hard ever time he came up to the plate. Honorable mention to Max Sapp.

Best Raw Power

1. Cody Johnson

2. Billy Rowell

3. Max Sapp

Like Parmelee, Johnson's offensive prowess didn't result in a gaudy stat line on the field, but with his long, strong limbs and easy, uppercut swing, it's hard to pick anyone ahead of Johnson in any category where power is being discussed. No one hit the ball further in BP than Johnson with his natural ability to loft the ball. Rowell's tall and lanky yet strong frame gives him the second best power, as he also made hard, consistent contact, as he wasn't just a hacker. No one impressed me at the plate as much as Max Sapp, who absolutely smoked everything he saw. Hank Conger also hit the ball extremely hard, and has considerable power potential from both sides of the plate.

Best Defender

1. Ryan Jackson

2. Torre Langley

3. Robbie Alcombrack

Ryan Jackson was the smoothest defensive player, as he exhibited his natural grace on the infield to go along with a pretty good throwing arm time after time. Torre Langley is extremely active behind the plate, with quick reflexes and a confident approach to handling the pitching staff. Robbie Alcombrack edges out a few players including Max Sapp and Nathan Bridges for his take-charge approach on the field. All of the catchers in attendance were impressive, as I was particularly impressed with the way Max Sapp handled Matt Latos.

Best Arm Defensively

1. Max Sapp

2. Nathan Bridges

3. Chris Parmelee

Sapp wasn't afraid to show off his gun on pick-off throws to first base, in the game and during the scrimmage. His arm gives him an exciting power/power combo that is hard to match of any 2006 draft eligible high school player. Bridges has a cannon that will serve him well at the hot corner, while Parmelee's arm at first base gives him yet another polished tool. While Chris Marrero committed three errors in the Aflac game, his arm and overall defensive prowess is evident.

Aflac Experience, Day 1

Aflac Experience, Day 2

Aflac Experience, Day 3

Pretty much I give them equally high praise from watching them in person last summer. Both hit the ball very hard in BP, during the scrimmages and the HR derby. What I was impressed with both of them was the fact that the balls they hit were screaming line drives. A few photographers and myself that were scattered on the field flinched when a few of the hit balls came our way despite being behind protective netting.

I like Sapp's setup better, as he has a more calm, cool approach in the batter's box and let his swing path do the damage. Conger puts a little more effort into his swing, but the results are basically the same. Conger's a switch-hitter, which immediately gives him more value in the eyes of scouts.

Defensively, I think Sapp has a better chance to stick behind the plate. As noted in my comments, he was very active behind the plate, showing off his arm and he handled East starter Matt Latos very well (he was removed from the game after taking a foul tip off his finger). Conger didn't look as natural, but I have heard that he has improved his defense this spring.

Both have strong arms.

Neither is a model for the ideal physical prototype, but given the way they hit the ball I really don't care. Sapp has worked hard to keep the baby fat off, but his frame is still on the stiff side. He's not the natural, fluid athlete scouts look for. Conger really isn't either, but he has better proportions than Sapp, but some reports from this spring have noted that he may have actually put on a little weight since last summer.

If they had to move to another position, Conger could probably be tried at 3B or even LF before 1B, as he's a better natural athlete. Sapp would probably have to be moved to 1B. I compared Sapp to Daric Barton after seeing him in person, and I know one of my peers compared him to Jeff Clement. I've read on BA a few times that now Conger is drawing a few Barton comparisons, but I think the Cardinals knew when they drafted Barton his best position would be 1B. If the Brewers take Conger or Sapp it will likely be because they truly believe they can stick behind the plate.

They really are almost the same prospect. Conger opened a lot of eyes this spring by hitting some towering blasts against some of the best competition in SoCal. While Conger hit .449 with 11 HRs, Sapp hit .582 with 9 bombs. Again, Sapp's probably a little better of a pure hitter while Conger has a tick more power and is a better overall athlete.

Awesome. Thank you. It really does sound like a tough call, assuming the Brewers are thinking that way. That's where the scouts earn their paychecks, I guess.

This seems like a very good direction for the Brewers to take in the first round, based on what we know.

Greg.

While I'd love to see one of the top college arms slide to us, I just don't see it happening. I'd be elated to see Sapp as our pick. Miller went earlier than some would've expected but most of the other picks have been as expected. Jack is the man.

Archived