Brewer Fanatic

Value Within System

Most often, when asking "what value" a guy has on the trade market, we find players/prospects from other teams that would be ideal trade partners that we think those teams would give up. obviously we don't know those team's systems as well as our own, so to get a more relatable example of someone's trade value- I would like to propose this hypothetical situation:

If the Brewers were both a contending team and a non-contender, who would you give up in the system for someone right now? okay, that was worded weirdly, let me use an example:

If we were trading Lucroy- what would it take in our own system to get the deal done- ie?, Lucroy for Arcia.

looking at it from both sides, would you be okay with it? If (as the brewers current, rebuilding team) you were receiving a prospect exactly like Arcia for Lucroy- would you be okay? AND (if you were a contending Brewers team needing the position in question), would you be okay giving up someone like Arcia for 1.5 years of all-star Lucroy?

With that said, I am curious what "value" (players in our system) you would receive for the following (please use a one to one trade if possible for simplicity sake):

Jonathan Lucroy

Chris Carter

Jeremy Jeffress

Scooter Gennett

Bonus- if you want to take a stab at matching one of our lesser prospects to:

Aaron Hill

Kirk Nieuwenhuis

Blaine Boyer

Lucroy - Phillips, Lopez, Lara

Carter - Reed + Diplan

Jeffress - Ponce + Diaz

Gennett - Orimoloye + Houser

Hill - Magnifico

Nieuwenhuis - Derby

Boyer - I think he's awful and due for major regression at which point he won't have any value but right now maybe we could get a Rymer Liriano type player for him.

wow, I hope we get that value back for those guys. that would be incredible. how loaded would our system be? I'm trying to come up with my own list, but I keep overvaluing the players on both sides of the coin. tougher than I thought.

If I had a playoff contending team, had slightly above average depth of pockets, and was looking at playing a replacement level catcher for the next two years, and did not have any other holes (where I would have to keep Arcia because I will need a SS next year, etc) I would trade quite a bit.

Ignoring the fact you would dicker individually about the prospects involved, as you can see from our own compiled top 25 prospect list variations on what some people thought of prospects versus others. Like for some reason I am not that high on Gatewood and Harrison. To me if the other club puts a value on acquiring them, that is just fine with me.

Also ignoring that the team trading Lucroy doesn't require a certain type of prospect. For example, requiring starting pitching that is one year away. We are assuming years away and just want the best available prospect(s).

Also another assumption, that there are no other average or better catchers available by another trade that might cost me less prospects. I have no idea if that is the case for Lucroy right now.

So lets say if I was Team X, I would be willing to trade any two of the guys in our minor leagues to them. I assume a team would then pick Arcia and Hader at this point in time if that was the case. If they wanted more in quantity, then you start more dickering, where maybe they don't choose the first two guys - depends who else they wanted and how much I valued them. That would be my starting point.

Archived