Brewer Fanatic

Rangers To Open New Ballpark

ZBTMP
The more I learn about it, the less up in arms in makes me. However, the fact that the taxpayers are possibly being forced to pay for half of a new stadium to replace a 30ish year old stadium (that I'm sure they also paid a good chunk of) irks me. There's no reason that MLB isn't kicking in a bunch of money for these new stadiums instead of the taxpayers.

There's no reason the teams can't pay for them. But they know the cities will always kick in money so they don't need to pay for them.

I mean the league itself. A new stadium benefits the league as a whole, not just the home team, so MLB should be throwing in some money too. Even if it's in the form of a loan.

I wouldn't have a problem with MLB kicking in toward stadiums (in a sensible and pragmatic way) if revenue sharing put teams on relatively equal footing. But if teams like the Brewers and Royals are funding teams like the Dodgers and Yankees under the current economic conditions, I think not. As it stands, teams with stadium debt get considerations when revenue sharing is computed. That's more than enough.

The Atlanta situation is pretty appalling. It's not the issue of whether or not Turner Field should have been replaced. Rather, it's how it was done. The deal was completed behind closed doors and rubber-stamped two weeks after it was announced, with opposition being prevented from commenting at the so-called public hearing. The Braves had lots of practice before they pulled of the SunTrust Park deal after having three minor league parks funded in a similar fashion.

The situation in Phoenix is bizarre. You have a combination of a team with a questionable management history and governments that haven't been able to meet obligations. That story is far from over.

The Arlington situation seems to be unique. The city's taxpayers seem to like their stadiums. The ballpark question will appear on the November ballot, and all signs indicate that it'll be approved. And the city came to the team rather than the other way around.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The more I learn about it, the less up in arms in makes me. However, the fact that the taxpayers are possibly being forced to pay for half of a new stadium to replace a 30ish year old stadium (that I'm sure they also paid a good chunk of) irks me. There's no reason that MLB isn't kicking in a bunch of money for these new stadiums instead of the taxpayers.

I don't get irked at all. It's the Economics of sports. People get up in arms when cities, states, and the Federal Government help fund (or give tax-deals to) construction projects for museums or businesses. People get angry enough when government spends money on highway beautification (in Arizona I hear lots of people complain about the art along the highways), sculpture parks, or giant blue shirts.

One thing I do like with this is that Arlington is looking to the future. Instead of waiting until the park is crumbling, they're thinking of the future. What I don't like is that it sure seems wasteful. Plus it makes me feel old, as I remember this park opening.

It probably isn't a big deal in a state with many multi-million dollar high school football stadiums.

on a side note, my golf team competed against the Texas school that was the previous record-holder for most expensive high school sports stadium. It was funny, as the coach complained a bit about how all they got out of the stadium was an underground room with a golf simulator for team meetings and practices. After he was done, I pointed out that in my district we have 5 high schools and the only financial support we get is our coaching salaries. We have to raise everything else on our own.

The Atlanta situation is pretty appalling. It's not the issue of whether or not Turner Field should have been replaced. Rather, it's how it was done. The deal was completed behind closed doors and rubber-stamped two weeks after it was announced, with opposition being prevented from commenting at the so-called public hearing. The Braves had lots of practice before they pulled of the SunTrust Park deal after having three minor league parks funded in a similar fashion.

The Atlanta one was shocking, but it made sense from the Braves' standpoint. Turner Field--while free to the team--was value engineered as the Olympic Stadium, then retrofitted for baseball. It did not have the same intended life as a normal park. They Braves were never able to get the city's approval for an entertainment district on nearby vacant land like they desired. Cobb County's plan was built around that feature. Plus the Braves' heat map of ticket sales shows that Cobb County is in the heart of where their tickets are sold.

I ran across an article that questioned the validity of the heat map. I'm not in a position to argue either way.

There definitely was a case for replacing Turner Field, and there was a case for moving to a new location. The sneaky and underhanded way it was done is the big issue. The public meeting was set up so only 12 people could speak. It was arranged for people to speak in support of the project to show up six hours early to get in line.

I went to a restaurant right by the new Atlanta stadium last weekend. According to my brother, who had previously spoken with the owner of the establishment, the owner signed the lease on the building about a week or two before the stadium was announced. Says it was the best business deal he has ever made.

It's a good restaurant. That place and others that are around the stadium (or will be built) are going to make TONS of money on game days.

I'm about 20 minutes from the current park. Believe me, there is nothing poorly designed about it. It's a beautiful venue for baseball. This is a ridiculous waste of taxpayer money.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Given the range of mechanical problems already seen with Miller park, I would bet real replacent costs will be underway in 2030. It certainly shows its age in many spots and is middle age right now. The problem at that point, of course, will be funding.

I wonder about the mechanics. We haven't heard anything about any roof issues since the original problems were fixed. So maybe we're OK, but I'm sure it won't last forever. I'm sure there's ongoing maintenance we're not hearing about.

A recent report still has the tax ending around 2018-2020. It says on average the typical resident pays $10-12 a year for the tax. So over the course of 19 years, a person will have only paid $228 in extra taxes. Nothing big.

Miller Park will have to stick around for awhile. Between Miller Park and the new bucks arena, no one is going to want to help pay for Miller Park 2 in 20 years.

When Miller Park really starts showing its age, I think the Brewers will have to do a significant remodel (ala Wrigley, Yankee Stadium II, etc) I don't have many complaints besides the lack of air conditioning, some poor sightlines, and the massive walls supporting the roof in the outfield.

Putting it in terms of $ per person isnt really realistic. Its people who have paid for big ticket items like cars, boats, leased properties, building projects, and such have supported the lions share. The average home and vehicle owner probably has paid over $500 to 1000 over the years. Then think of all the kids under 18 who basically dont buy much of anything.

Regarding the roof the motors were replaced sometime recently which I think was semi expensive. I don't think there are any other major repairs it will ever encounter in the stadiums lifetime.

I am not a supporter of major renovations. In my opinion they are a stupid waste of money. Why spend $300mil+ to renovate something old? It's like a junk car. You throw a lot of money into it for repairs, but in the end you still have an old car. There is a reason you don't see major renovations...they just aren't worth the money unless you can't get together a little more to build a whole new one. The only reason you saw it with Wrigley is because they wanted to preserve the old stadium. Their renovations are over $500mil...the cost of Miller Park to build. Could have just built a replica at that price and not have had the the same old stadium with problems.

Community Moderator
My gut tells me that sewage and corroding internal environment utilities will be the upcoming maintenance issues going forward.

Everytime the tax nears its end, they find new upgrades to stiff us with.

http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2016/04/12/murphys-law-why-miller-parks-tax-never-ends/

Despite the tone of the article, it shows the brilliance of having maintenance written into the original stadium agreement. Defer the maintenance, and suddenly the Brewers are approaching taxpayers with $100 million worth of repairs.

The overall cost per person of the stadium deal is also shocking low...only $230 per person is a bargain. For comparison, the Seattle area will be voting on a $50 billion transportation package this fall (yep, that's 100 Miller Parks) that will cost the average household $12,000 over 30 years.

Archived