Brewer Fanatic

Via Sky Sox Manager Rick Sweet - Keon Broxton back to the big leagues; Santana to the 15-day DL

Mass Haas
What am I missing?

He's not a pitcher?

For the sake of comparison, offensively, MLB teams currently average 326 strikeouts and 130 walks so far this season. That's 2.5 strikeouts to every walk.

And he's doing that in AAA Colorado Spings and not against ML pitching. He's fighting with Walsh for the team lead in UABs (ugly at bats). If something truly has changed with him we need to sign the batting coach in AAA to a long term deal.

I know it's a long season and we in rebuild mode and we're looking for any hopeful signs but I think we might be grasping at straws here.

Santana, whether due to injury or not, has not been good offensively or defensively since the first 3 weeks of the season. I'm guessing Braun's going on the DL but I was about a week away from suggesting Santana be optioned and Broxton brought back. Hopefully Broxton found his stroke in AAA and it carries over. His defense will help. That Braun wasn't used in the extra inning game suggests his back issues are more serious.

I'm the lone wolf as usual I know, but I still wish they had Davis. Many on here thought his trade value had peaked and that Santana was ready when they dealt Davis. I think that was wrong on both points. Davis is continuing to establish himself as a premier power bat, leading the AL in AB/HR and tied for lead with 12. Imagine the mine field an opposing pitcher would be facing with Braun, Lucroy, Carter and Davis in the middle of the lineup.

Heading into tonight's game Davis has been absolutely awful outside of 12ABs. And he's already 0-2 tonight, which isn't factored in below.

8% of Davis' ABs this year have resulted in 12-12, 12HR, 18rbi, 12 runs (9HR are solo)

92% of Davis' ABs this year have resulted in 167/211/203/414, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 0HR, 11rbi, 6 runs, 5bb, 40K in 138 ABs

33% of his games at DH because he sucks in the field. 20% of his games in LF he's been replaced defensively.

Santana was very productive until his injury, which started at the beginning of the month. Optioning him because a nagging injury is affecting his performance? HUH? He's 23 years old and starting to scratch the surface of his potential. That's a horrendous idea. But please continue to tell us how amazing Davis is and a premier power bat leading the league in HR. Let's just ignore 92% of his offensive production, or lack thereof, and nonexistent defense.

And other people saying they're disappointed in Santana. Disappointed? Unreal. This board is nothing short of simple minded and over reactionary

This board is nothing short of simple minded…

Stop that. You've had the rules about condescension pointed out to you numerous times, but the information doesn't seem to sink in.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Guys like Ryan Braun, Alex Gordon and Hunter Pence are not even at 1:2 so why would your expectation of Keon Broxton be 2:1?

Actually, if you throw out Braun's atypical 2014 season, he has had better than a 1:2 walk to strikeout ratio overall since 2009:

2009: 57 BB, 121 K

2010: 56 BB, 105 K

2011: 58 BB, 93 K

2012: 63 BB, 128 K

2013: 27 BB, 56 K

2015: 54 BB, 115 K

2016: 17 BB, 23 K

332 BB, 641 K

If you include his 2014 season, he only needs 4 walks without a strikeout to be exactly at a 1:2 ratio since 2009. As of right now, since '09, he's walked 373 times, and K'd 754 times.

And this season, he's better than 1.5 BB: 1 K

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Well he got his first hit. Can't take that away from him.

Still doesn't look like a major leaguer to me.

I'd rather see him get regular at bats instead of Flores who has a fly swatter bat.

I'm with Danzig. Broxton is 26, looks like he could pass for 19, and hits like Michael Jordan. 15 K's in 23 AB's? Really??

If the Brewers had any kind of major league caliber OF talent other than Braun, there'd be at least a remote scenario where they could hang in a wild card race. That sort of ended when they dealt Davis and got no major league talent back. That was the plan so nobody should be surprised I suppose.

If the Brewers had any kind of major league caliber OF talent other than Braun, there'd be at least a remote scenario where they could hang in a wild card race.

That, and a top of the rotation a bit better than Nelson, Guerra, Davies.

I'd rather see him get regular at bats instead of Flores who has a fly swatter bat.

I'm with Danzig. Broxton is 26, looks like he could pass for 19, and hits like Michael Jordan. 15 K's in 23 AB's? Really??

If the Brewers had any kind of major league caliber OF talent other than Braun, there'd be at least a remote scenario where they could hang in a wild card race. That sort of ended when they dealt Davis and got no major league talent back. That was the plan so nobody should be surprised I suppose.

I understand you really like Davis, but people continue to point out why he was dealt. Santana and Davis are probably pretty close to equal players(all things considered), but Davis is gone. Can we please move on from him?

If the Brewers had quality pitching any kind of major league caliber OF talent other than Braun, there'd be at least a remote scenario where they could hang in a wild card race. That sort of ended when they dealt Davis and got no major league talent back. That was the plan so nobody should be surprised I suppose.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Khris Davis and his 264 obp isn't the difference maker for this offense. Santana has been alright, minus some power. Flores now has his obp over 300. Niewenhuis has been solid. Pressley has been decent as a fill in.

This idea that Davis would be some kind of difference maker .... I just don't buy it at all. He makes outs 74% of the time this year. I don't care what else you're doing, that's awful.

Archived