Brewer Fanatic

Via Sky Sox Manager Rick Sweet - Keon Broxton back to the big leagues; Santana to the 15-day DL

Mass Haas

Let's hope he can keep the hot bat going in Milwaukee. He's been on fire since he got sent down.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm hoping it is Santana to the DL. He just doesn't seem right.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm hoping it is Santana to the DL. He just doesn't seem right.

Could be Braun as well. They could put him on there retroactively. He's already missed 4-5 games.

But yes, I agree that Santana doesn't seem right.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If Santana is not actually hurt, I'd just as soon see Flores get sent down. He's not hitting worth a crap. I know this season is more about developing guys and seeing who fits, who's worth something to the organization and what-not, but at the same time, he's just soaking up playing time while OPS-ing under .600. Send him down and see if he can get right, like Broxton did.

It should be noted that Flores is out of options. But I think it'd be worth it to risk what might happen in waivers at this point.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Santana, whether due to injury or not, has not been good offensively or defensively since the first 3 weeks of the season. I'm guessing Braun's going on the DL but I was about a week away from suggesting Santana be optioned and Broxton brought back. Hopefully Broxton found his stroke in AAA and it carries over. His defense will help. That Braun wasn't used in the extra inning game suggests his back issues are more serious.

I'm the lone wolf as usual I know, but I still wish they had Davis. Many on here thought his trade value had peaked and that Santana was ready when they dealt Davis. I think that was wrong on both points. Davis is continuing to establish himself as a premier power bat, leading the AL in AB/HR and tied for lead with 12. Imagine the mine field an opposing pitcher would be facing with Braun, Lucroy, Carter and Davis in the middle of the lineup.

I really like Flores' swing and he has a really low BABIP. I wouldn't be too thrilled if they risked losing him on waivers after 91 sporadic PA.

And since we gave up somewhat of a decent prospect for him, it sure would stink to lose him after only 91 PA's. But it sure would be nice to stash him at AAA for awhile and get him those AB's.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Santana, whether due to injury or not, has not been good offensively or defensively since the first 3 weeks of the season. I'm guessing Braun's going on the DL but I was about a week away from suggesting Santana be optioned and Broxton brought back. Hopefully Broxton found his stroke in AAA and it carries over. His defense will help. That Braun wasn't used in the extra inning game suggests his back issues are more serious.

I'm the lone wolf as usual I know, but I still wish they had Davis. Many on here thought his trade value had peaked and that Santana was ready when they dealt Davis. I think that was wrong on both points. Davis is continuing to establish himself as a premier power bat, leading the AL in AB/HR and tied for lead with 12. Imagine the mine field an opposing pitcher would be facing with Braun, Lucroy, Carter and Davis in the middle of the lineup.

Davis has roughly a .770 OPS driven entirely by slugging %. While I think Santana has been disappointing (I had/have high hopes for him), his OPS is roughly .740 driven almost entirely by OBP.

When Davis was Santana's age, he had a combined .850 OPS.....split between A+ and AA.

This doesn't even count the two prospects the Brewers got for Davis.

Hope it is not Braun going to the DL. Was hoping he just needed a few days and would be good to go again to continue raking.

Second that, he played Tuesday so could only be retroactive a couple of days. Even if Braun needs a few more days I would rather have Braun in a few more days than missing for 13. Something is going on with Santana and with Braun being day to day I would think Santana is the odd man out one way or the other.

No corresponding move announced, one would think either Santana or Braun to the DL, or a transaction involving Ramon Flores.

Broxton, as many of you know, has been killing it at the plate and on the basepaths with Colorado Springs, even moreso on the road, a great sign.

His slash line looks great, but it is Colorado Springs. His BB/K ratio still stinks. I don't think there's any reason to get excited.

His slash line looks great, but it is Colorado Springs. His BB/K ratio still stinks. I don't think there's any reason to get excited.

His BB/K at Colorado actually impresses me, would be a decent player if he kept it up in the bigs.

Verified Member

Looks like it won't be Braun to the DL. I'm thinking it's going to be Santana.

Counsell indicated the hope is Braun will be ready to return in the Brewers' next series against the New York Mets at Citi Field.

"He's getting multiple treatments a day trying to get better," Counsell said of Braun. "A little improvement today. Hope we have him back this weekend sometime."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/ramon-flores-colin-walsh-must-produce-at-plate-b99728666z1-380208491.html

That's a good thing to hear. We need his bat against that staff.

Adam McCalvy ‏@AdamMcCalvy 4m4 minutes ago

Brewers will indeed have a roster move today, but David Stearns cannot tell us just yet whether corresponding move is DL-related or other.

Adam McCalvy ‏@AdamMcCalvy 3m3 minutes ago

So, stay tuned for the other half. But good news for Keon Broxton as he re-joins Brewers after a successful stint at Triple-A.

His BB/K at Colorado actually impresses me, would be a decent player if he kept it up in the bigs.

I'd preferred 2 walks to every strikeout rather than 2 strikeouts to every walk. What am I missing?

I'd preferred 2 walks to every strikeout rather than 2 strikeouts to every walk. What am I missing?

I would prefer 4 walks to every strikeout but not realistic. Keon Broxton will never be a superstar or anything but if he could maintain a 1:2 BB/SO ratio he would be a solid player. Guys like Ryan Braun, Alex Gordon and Hunter Pence are not even at 1:2 so why would your expectation of Keon Broxton be 2:1?

What am I missing?

He's not a pitcher?

For the sake of comparison, offensively, MLB teams currently average 326 strikeouts and 130 walks so far this season. That's 2.5 strikeouts to every walk.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived