Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thursday 5/19 - Jungmann reaches a new low; Brandon Woodruff's AA Debut

Do people remember that Jungmann pitched pretty decent in the bigs last year?

We remember. But we also remember he was pretty bad before he got called up last year, and for the most part struggled throughout his minor league career. He was capable of putting stretches together like this, no idea why he is so "on or off."

We remember. But we also remember he was pretty bad before he got called up last year, and for the most part struggled throughout his minor league career. He was capable of putting stretches together like this, no idea why he is so "on or off."

Yeah, last year was an aberration based on his career. Doesn't mean he can't get better, but I waited all last season for him to fall apart. He didn't, and this spring I actually started to feel like he could be a rotation piece. Maybe now that I'm back to assuming the worst with him he'll pitch well again.

Hiring a new pitching coach that that tried to tweak his unorthodox delivery obviously didn't help him and sent him backwards. Hopefully he'll get back to throwing strikes sooner than later. Thornburg was pretty horrible last year at AAA...era in the 7's when he got called up and look where his is now.

Either Jungmann is hurt or as was suggested the new pitching coach messed him up. Maybe it's both. He's not the same guy that looked after his first 10-12 starts that he might pick up some ROY votes. He's not of the age that they can be real patient either. He's wasting a 40 man spot.

Either Jungmann is hurt or as was suggested the new pitching coach messed him up. Maybe it's both. He's not the same guy that looked after his first 10-12 starts that he might pick up some ROY votes. He's not of the age that they can be real patient either. He's wasting a 40 man spot.

I don't think it has to be either or. He had a pretty good 16 start run last season before falling apart in September. Based on his minor league numbers he wasn't going to consistently be the guy he was through his first September start. Maybe he is hurt, or maybe he ends up on the DL so he can work on his game without the pressure of pitching every 5 days; but I think it's unrealistic to think he'd be a definite mid-rotation piece who is now struggling because he's either hurt or Derek Johnson somehow screwed him up.

It's been my experience that many people will over react positively and negatively to players in very small samples. Much like McGehee before him Jungmann was never going to sustain his success, there was nothing in his MiLB career to suggest a sustained high level of MLB success for him. His mechanics are horrible, his breaking stuff average, and even last year he wasn't throwing strikes, hitters were chasing his CB out of the zone for strike outs. He wasn't even a top of the rotation guy on draft day, he was an "innings eater" even then.

On the flip side there were posters who thought Peralta was a budding ace even though he's never located all that well but has a decent slider, all based on one pretty stellar season. I understand it can be hard to be objective, but i guess I would hope that's everybody's goal... to see the situation for what it is instead of what we want it to be.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Jungmann's ERA bounced between 3.53-4.33 in going from A-AAA ball in three years (AAA-Nashville).

Then last year, he spiked to 6.37 in Colorado Springs, had sub-3.00 ERA for 15 starts, then blew up in Sept with 7.00+ ERA. And imploded completely this year.

He isn't the #1 or #2 pitcher that he looked like for 15 starts last year. But he is certainly better than the results he is getting now. I'd expect him to be able to be a 4.00 ERA type pitcher in the MLB level right now.

I think its fair to say that something is wrong right now and health or mechanics are the most likely culprits.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Out of curiosity, I looked at what Fangraphs PitchFx had to say about Jungmann.

About 85% of the time he is throwing a fastball or curveball. The other ~15% is between a two seam FB and a change.

Between this and last year, he fastball is dropping an average of 2 MPH (91.9 to 89.6). Consequently, people are hitting it more often (.298 vs .404 BA) and harder (.496 vs .788 SLG).

Consequently, he is throwing less FBs (59.3 vs 56.1%) this year and more Curves (25.05 vs 33.89%). A major difference is that this year he is getting far fewer Ks on his curveball (49.6 vs 29.4%), although they are still swinging at it outside the zone at nearly the same rate: (34.7% vs 31%).

So between his FB speed drop, K rate drop (5.7 vs 8.1 K/9IP) and BB rate increase (5.7 vs 3.5 BB/9IP).... it still sounds like an injury or mechanics issue.

It reminds me a bit of when Gallardo back in 2013. His FB dropped down a bit and his K rate responded similarly. Granted, he was better to begin with, so dropping off hurt, but he didn't implode.

Archived