Brewer Fanatic

Final Draft Projection

Here's my last attempt at a mock draft as we enter draft day tomorrow. I'm sticking by my guns that the Royals will not take Andrew Miller...

1. Royals: Brad Lincoln

Rumors have the Royals pick down between Miller and Lincoln. $5.5 million, or an easy $4 million pre-draft deal...

2. Rockies: Evan Longoria

The Rockies have worked out Longoria extensively, and don't let the "surprise" pick at the top effect their plan.

3. Devil Rays: Andrew Miller

Miller was a pick of the DRays out of HS, so he would have to give his blessing for it to happen again.

4. Pirates: Greg Reynolds

The Pirates have been focused on college pitching all spring.

5. Mariners: Brandon Morrow

Despite previous reports, the Ms aren't as hot on Hochevar, and will pass on local product Lincecum as well.

6. Tigers: Luke Hochevar

The Tigers aren't afraid of dealing with Boras, and they're happy to have Hochevar fall.

7. Dodgers: Clayton Kershaw

Surprise, surprise, a prep pitcher for the Dodgers.

8. Reds: Tim Lincecum

Everyone has them pegged to take Stubbs, but they would be stupid to pass on a college arm.

9. Orioles: Billy Rowell

The O's have been focused on Rowell for several weeks now.

10. Giants: Chris Parmelee

Reportedly a pre-draft deal is already in place for this one to happen.

11. Diamondbacks: Max Scherzer

The two big Boras pitchers don't fall very far, as the D-Backs add a big arm to their talented system.

12. Rangers: Drew Stubbs

Recent questions surrounding Stubbs causes him to slip a little to the in-state Rangers.

13. Cubs: Travis Snider

The Cubs reportedly are all over the prep bats, and Snider's the best one.

14. Blue Jays: Daniel Bard

If Snider is here, they'll take him, and Matt Antonelli is another favorite.

15. Nationals: Jeremy Jeffress

Another local product for DC.

16. Brewers: Kasey Kiker

The Brewers have liked Kiker's arm all spring, and he performed well at the recent pre-draft workout.

17. Padres: Brett Sinkbeil

The Pads love college players, and Sinkbeil is one of the best relatively no-name arms.

18. Phillies: Kyle Drabek

Some character quirks cause Drabek to fall about 10-15 picks further than he should.

19. Marlins: Chris Marrero

Marrero is a local product, and a perfect match for the Fish.

20. Twins: Hank Conger

Conger's switch-hitting power drops no further.

21. Yankees: David Huff

The Yankees are happy to have this polished southpaw join their system to become trade bait by the 2007 deadline.

22. Nationals: Stephen Englund

Another rumored pre-draft deal.

23. Astros: Joba Chamberlain

Chamberlain has slid a little bit late in the season due to some shaky outings and earlier injury setbacks.

24. Braves: Brett Anderson

The Braves taking a prep pitcher? Crazy.

25. Angels: Colton Willems

The Angels aren't shy about adding prep arms early.

26. Dodgers: Kyler Burke

One of the rising names in the draft, Burke's hitting prowess and overall athleticism are appealing to the Dodgers.

27. Red Sox: Matt Antonelli

The Red Sox have taken a lot of college IF lately, but Antonelli is a local product.

28. Red Sox: Jared Hughes

Two polished products for a team that prefers college players early.

29. White Sox: Stephen King

The defending World Champs add an athletic middle IF to their system.

30. Cardinals: Brooks Brown

Brown is the pick for a team expected to take a college arm. Ian Kennedy is a popular name here.

Thank you, Colby! Because, surprise, I don't want to see the Brewers draft a prep pitcher, and your prediction is the kiss of death. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif Seriously, great annotations on the mock picks; thanks for everything so far and, in advance, for everything coming.

Greg.

I just like the fact that a google search on kiker has the brewerfan snapshot of him as the second item that comes up.....pretty cool.

I would like Conger or Sapp, somehow, out of this draft, and am hoping for Scherzer to fall for some reason just to make it interesting.

This is a picture I took of Kasey Kiker (probably my favorite picture from the trip) at the Aflac All-American Classic scrimmage from last August.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/colbyjack/kiker1.jpg

If Kiker is the pick, I'll provide more of my comments from the time with a few links from my coverage at PG.

I'm more of a draft rubber neck, right around this time I read BA a bit but that's about it. So this question goes out to colby and/or you other draft gurus.

how has MLB's slot recommendations changed the first round choices if at all? Are there more or less 1st round reachs and predraft deals due to a team worrying about signings or are Andrew Millers large bonus demands the exception and not the norm?

Colby, nice job on the mock draft and all the work you've put in so far. I just noticed the following on MLB.com's write up of Kiker:

Comments: Only questions about makeup have kept him from being at the top of high school pitching depth charts. Fastball sits in mid-90s and he throws a changeup and curve as well.

It seems like the Brewers place more emphasis on makeup than other teams, so if the concerns are legit, I could see the Brewers passing on him.

I guess we'll find out in a couple hours...

Thank you, Colby! Because, surprise, I don't want to see the Brewers draft a prep pitcher, and your prediction is the kiss of death.

There's only 3 things for certain at Brewerfan.net:

1) Clancyphile will move any player to any position to satisfy his current obsession;

2) Any prospect as part of Chris' screen name will flame out faster than John Steitz;

3) The Brewers never draft Colbyjack's favorite round 1 pick. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I haven't had a chance to enjoy the coverage as much this year which is too bad because Patrick has done a wonderful job. Enjoy draft day. Here's to a college pitcher in Round 1!

Kiker's makeup issues are overblown if you ask me.

3) The Brewers never draft Colbyjack's favorite round 1 pick.

Kiker isn't really my favorite, that was more of a prediction of who they will actually take. I'll tell you my favorites at a later point in time.

Archived