Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wednesday 5/18

Brewer Fanatic Staff

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/store/dailylinkreport.jpg

Wednesday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: Idle

Biloxi: LHP Wei-Chung Wang at Chattanooga (Twins), 9:55 AM pre-game, 10:15 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Harris is the play-by-play voice of the Shuckers. Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. Thaddeus Krzus (@Shucks1stIntern) joins Chris often. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them.

Brevard County: RHP's Eric Hanhold and Bubba Derby at home vs. Bradenton (Pirates), 4:05 PM gametime

Sorry, there is no audio available for this series...

Unfortunately, the Manatees have dropped their broadcast coverage for 2016.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV. Ten of the 12 Florida State League teams provide audio (some only for home games), we'll do our best to let you know when an opponent's audio is going to be available.

Wisconsin: RHP Devin Williams at home vs. Burlington (Angels), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the 16 Midwest League teams telecast their home games, and Wisconsin, once again, is among them. We'll let you know when a road TV feed is available.

NOTE: Thirty-nine (!) of the Rattlers' 70 home games will be broadcast on local TV this season. Time Warner Cable SportsChannel (10) and WACY-TV My NEW32 (29) will split duties. We'll let you know when and who, and remember to refer to the Rattlers' full TV schedule (scroll to bottom of link) so you can coordinate your DVR activity.

PROGRAMMING NOTE: Chattanooga is one of two Southern League teams not to provide MiLB.TV coverage, sorry Biloxi fans...

DVR ALERT! Includes this evening!

Timber Rattlers Games

Wednesday May 18th, 6:30 PM -- MyNew32 TV

Friday May 20th, 6:30 PM -- MyNew32 TV

Saturday May 21st, 6:30 PM -- MyNew32 TV

Monday May 23rd, 12:00 PM -- TWC SportsChannel

Follow Wednesday's action as it happens with box score / game log links:

Biloxi

Brevard County Game One

Brevard County Game Two

Wisconsin

MiLB.com feature -- organizational scoreboard, Brewers

Look for these just prior to the respective game times --

Biloxi Media Notes - Linked on the Shuck Dynasty blog

Wisconsin Media Notes - Linked on the Rattler Radio blog

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League South Division

High-A - Florida State League North Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Sortable individual stat pages:

Colorado Springs

Biloxi

Brevard County

Wisconsin

Weather.com:

Chattanooga, TN

Viera, FL

Grand Chute, WI

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Staff

You can understand why Biloxi, MS residents would have extra interest in their home-state guy...

Cowbell call-up: Former Mississippi State pitcher Woodruff promoted to Shuckers

Patrick Magee, Biloxi Sun-Herald

You may hear some cowbells in the bleachers for Shuckers games at MGM Park in the near future.

Former Mississippi State hurler Brandon Woodruff was transferred to Biloxi from Class A Brevard County (Fla.) on Tuesday. The right-hander from the tiny town of Wheeler is 4-1 with a 1.83 ERA in eight starts this season.

Woodruff will be the first Mississippi native and first product of a Magnolia State college to play for the Shuckers, a team in its second year of existence.

Woodruff's hometown of Wheeler is located in Prentiss County in the northeast corner of the state, about 25 miles north of Tupelo.

Woodruff, who was an 11th-round draft choice by the Milwaukee Brewers in 2014, has a 9-10 record in 43 appearances in the Brewers organization.

He proved adequate in his first two seasons in the minors, checking in with an ERA of 3.28 at the Rookie level in 2014 and 3.45 at Brevard County last season. With 49 strikes and only 10 walks in 44 1/3 innings this season, Woodruff is on his way to a breakout season.

Javier Salas was moved to the disabled list to make room for Woodruff, who stands 6-foot-4, 215 pounds.

Woodruff will make his first start for the Shuckers on Thursday in a road game against the Tennessee Smokies in Kodak, Tenn.

Woodruff played at MSU from 2012-14 and his pitching numbers there don't exactly jump out at you. He had a 3-6 record with a 4.70 ERA in 34 appearances, including 18 starts in his career with the Bulldogs.

His best season came as a freshman when he went 1-2 with a 2.65 ERA in 12 appearances. His ERA increased to 4.34 in seven appearances as a sophomore and 6.75 as a junior in 15 appearances.

While he never quite grew into the ace that many expected at Mississippi State, he always had traits that drew the attention of major league scouts. He threw a fastball that registered between 91-93 miles per hour, topping out at 96. Woodruff also features a changeup in the low 80's that can be frustrating for hitters.

Woodruff, who was drafted out of high school in the fifth round of the 2011 MLB Draft by the Texas Rangers, has proven more efficient as a pro with a 5-to-1 strikeout to walk ratio this season.

He joins a staff that already features one of the top pitching prospects in the Milwaukee organization, left-hander Josh Hader, who is 1-1 with a 0.89 ERA in eight starts.

The Shuckers have relied on quality pitching to keep their spot atop the Southern League South. Through Monday, they had a batting average of .237 to rank eighth in the ten-team league while sporting a team ERA of 3.49 to rank third.

A good example of the Shuckers' struggles at the plate came Monday night in a 1-0 loss in 10 innings to the Chattanooga Lookouts.

Shuckers hang on for 5-4 win in series finale at Chattanooga

Kyle Wren extended his hitting streak to six with the game winning hit in the seventh

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/6/7/0/178851670/cuts/26975883495_0628ebef70_o_tk2uta87_krsrm0qi.jpg

Kyle Wren is batting .340 during the month of May (Jason Clark)

Biloxi Boxscore

Wei-Chung Wang has leveled off in that middle ground of not terrible and not great again like he did at the start of last year. When he's forced to come back over the plate he gives up too many hits, and when he's playing on the edges he gives up too many walks. It will be interesting to see if he can make the counter adjustments to teams being more patient against him. Hobbs Johnson got the win despite giving up a run in his 1.1 innings, it would have been worse but Tristan Archer got out of Johnson's jam with a fortunate line out double play. Hobbs was never a stuff guy, but I'm still surprised that he's not flourishing in a reduced role given the relative ease he had reaching AA.

Javier Betancourt who was scorching hot to start the season and Jacob Nottingham who's early season struggles were well chronicled have been going in different directions for a while now. If things continue as they have their averages will meet in the next couple of games around .230. Meanwhile Garrett Cooper continues to be extremely productive at the plate.

Biloxi Recap

Hobbs Johnson's wounds are so often self inflicted.

Chattanooga Bottom of the 6th

• Pitching Change: Hobbs Johnson replaces Wei-Chung Wang.
    Ryan Walker hit by pitch.
    Leonardo Reginatto strikes out swinging.
    Stuart Turner walks. Ryan Walker to 2nd.
    T. J. White strikes out swinging.
    Shannon Wilkerson flies out to right fielder Victor Roache.

Chattanooga Bottom of the 7th

• Zach Granite flies out to left fielder Kyle Wren.
    Travis Harrison walks.
    D. J. Hicks singles on a ground ball to left fielder Kyle Wren. Travis Harrison to 2nd.
    Joe Maloney walks. Travis Harrison to 3rd. D. Hicks to 2nd.
    Ryan Walker singles on a line drive to left fielder Kyle Wren. Travis Harrison scores. D. J. Hicks to 3rd. Joe Maloney to 2nd.
    Pitching Change: Tristan Archer replaces Hobbs Johnson.
    Leonardo Reginatto lines into a double play, pitcher Tristan Archer to first baseman Garrett Cooper. Ryan Walker out at 1st.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Rattlers Beat Bees 9-1 to Win Third Straight

Gatewood hits sixth homer of season for Wisconsin

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/9/9/6/178957996/cuts/PlayerOftheGame5_18_dm62m1fq_n8coxil4.jpg

Jake Gatewood went 2-for-4 with a homer, two runs scored, and two RBI for the Timber Rattlers on Wednesday night. (Wisconsin Timber Rattlers/Ann Mollica)

Wisconsin Boxscore

Devin Williams did a better job locating in his 2nd outing, though he did groove a HR to the first batter of the game. Have I discussed Jordan Yamamoto yet? I'm not sure so I'll just get into it. Jordan pitches from a true 3/4 arm slot with an abrupt finish and slight fall off towards 1st base. He was locating well today, his CB is a tad loopy but he can locate it for a strike. His FB looked to be in that upper 80/low 90 range, I think the TV crew said he hit 91 on one occasion but I was watching on the TV without a DVR so couldn't rewind it. Like all pitchers his ceiling will mostly be determined by how far his secondary stuff comes, I'd peg him as a backend/reliever type today. Quintin Torres-Costa had just the outing he needed with a perfect 9th via 3 SOs, the 35th rounder had some recent brutal outings before capping off today's victory.

This was a fun offensive performance as every Rattler except for Carlos Belonis collected a hit and 5 T-Rats collected 2 hits a piece: Monte Harrison, David Denson, Jake Gatewood, Max McDowell, and Luis Aviles. Harrison's double was a misplayed gift and Gatewood's 6 HRs have all come this month. Trent Clark looks pretty average at the moment, I don't mean to suggest that's his ceiling, he's just not attacking pitches yet. He strikes me as very conservative to this point, he's looked pretty much the same in every game. He takes a ton of pitches, occasionally puts a good a swing on one, moves well, and covers decent ground in the OF.

Wisconsin Recap

Lots to take in if you are so inclined.

Rattler Radio Postgame fun!

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Is there one sliver lining in all of Brewer nation?

Mind you I'm writing this as Brewers crap away bases loaded no one out but boy it'd be nice to hear some good news. Now I'm reading that Trent Clark is doing fairly average. Who is there in this system to be excited about? Hader seems to be only Brewer dominating and even he gets qualified with "possible bullpen ceiling". Arcia I guess but haven't read of anyone dominating.

Community Moderator

Final, Game One: Brevard County 3, Bradenton 2

Final, Game Two: Bradenton 8, Brevard County 0

Manatees split doubleheader with Bradenton

Donald Rieber, Jr., Manatees Examiner

Brevard County Game One Box Score

Manatees RHP Eric Hanhold's outing ended at 81 total pitches in the top of the sixth inning when rain delayed the game for more than two hours. His final line was 5.1 innings pitched allowing five hits, one earned run, one walk, while striking out a pair. In 42.0 inning pitched this season Hanhold has an ERA of 2.57 which currently ranks 17th in the FSL among pitchers with more than 35 innings.

Brevard County Game One Game Log

Johnny Davis recorded a pair of hits and a walk to extend his on-base streak to 23 (and later in the evening 24) games. Jose Cuas had a double on a line drive to left field during the Manatees three run 2nd inning.

Brevard County Game Two Box Score

A forgettable game for RHP Bubba Derby who threw 78 pitches over 3.1 innings in an outing where he allowed six hits, four earned runs, three walks, and managed two strikeouts.

Johnny Davis with another base hit in this one to raise his batting average to .309 on the season which ranks 10th overall among qualified hitters in the FSL.

Brevard County Game Two Game Log

This recap looks pretty much like what you would expect from an 8-0 game as the Manatees were out hit by the Marauders 14 to 3.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Is there one sliver lining in all of Brewer nation?

Mind you I'm writing this as Brewers crap away bases loaded no one out but boy it'd be nice to hear some good news. Now I'm reading that Trent Clark is doing fairly average. Who is there in this system to be excited about? Hader seems to be only Brewer dominating and even he gets qualified with "possible bullpen ceiling". Arcia I guess but haven't read of anyone dominating.

Silver lining is 1) Trent Clark is 19 in his 2nd week of A ball, he's hitting a good amount of doubles, & his bb rate is insane! Has he came in like Trout & destroyed pitching? No, not yet. However, his advanced approach at plate is extremely great to see. If Gatewood showed a tenth of that, he'd be top prospect in MWL! Think it is easier to improve as a hitter as it is to become patient at plate. Overall like said above, he has been safe at plate.... Not very aggressive....well he is 19 & with confidence he will improve.

2) Hader if unable to remain starter will be an untouchable backend lefty. I'm not going to cry for have 6 years of a guy closing games who 1) guys don't make contact against 2) when they do, it's very weak contact. He is nasty.

It'd be great if guys were just racking but it's early. Bunch of guys are hot in May & getting going

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I agree, the big name bats have started out slowly and that troubles me. Especially Phillips. He hasn't been horrible by any means, but I was hoping to see him dominate from the start. But Gatewood has been dominant lately, Nottingham is improving every week, and Arcia is doing fine considering he's the youngest player in the league. Plus, the bats in Appleton are almost all doing well.

Yes, I would love to see Phillips and Arcia be dominant by the end of the season. I would like one or two of the power bats to get real hot (Nottingham, Roache, Coulter.) But things look better than they did a few weeks ago.

Finally, if you're looking for dominance, look at a few pitchers below the radar. Woodruff, Peralta, Diplan, and a couple others are pretty much dominant.

Please don't over react to my comments about Trent Clark, he's very young for the league and picking his way, he's just being more defensive than aggressive right now.

Worry if he doesn't explode at some point.

- Plato

- Plato

Archived