Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Monday 5/16

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Monday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Colorado Springs: LHP Sam Freeman at home vs. Salt Lake City (Angels), 7:00 PM pre-game, 7:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Dan Karcher, the longtime play-by-play voice of the Sky Sox is on Twitter @SkySoxKarch; joining him this season is Dan Acheson (@Dan_Acheson)

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Colorado Springs games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $49.99 season-long package ($12.99 to pay for a single month). The audio feed is from the home team. The video of each game is archived online, which is a nice feature. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

NOTE: Notice that on MiLB.TV's page, you can click on "Filter", then "Milwaukee Brewers", and you'll see just the Crew's organizational TV lineup.

Biloxi: LHP Josh Hader at Chattanooga (Twins), 5:55 PM pre-game, 6:15 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Chris Harris is the play-by-play voice of the Shuckers. Follow Chris on Twitter @CHarris731. We'll be linking to his fantastic "Shuck Dynasty" blog. Thaddeus Krzus (@Shucks1stIntern) joins Chris often. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be radio broadcast.

MiLB.TV - Eight of the ten Southern League teams telecast their home games, and Biloxi is among them.

Brevard County: RHP Jon Perrin at home vs. Bradenton (Pirates), 5:35 PM gametime

Sorry, there is no audio available for this series...

Unfortunately, the Manatees have dropped their broadcast coverage for 2016.

No Florida State League games are available via MiLB.TV. Ten of the 12 Florida State League teams provide audio (some only for home games), we'll do our best to let you know when an opponent's audio is going to be available.

Wisconsin: Idle

Brewer Fanatic Staff

PROGRAMMING NOTE: Chattanooga is one of two Southern League teams not to provide MiLB.TV coverage, sorry Biloxi fans...

But you can still check out Chris' audio call while drinking your tall glass of Haderade tonight.

DVR ALERT!

Timber Rattlers Game

Wednesday May 18th, 6:30 PM -- MyNew32 TV

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Look for these just prior to the respective game times --

Colorado Springs Media Notes - Linked on the Sky Sox official blog

Biloxi Media Notes - Linked on the Shuck Dynasty blog

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League South Division

High-A - Florida State League North Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Sortable individual stat pages:

Colorado Springs

Biloxi

Brevard County

Wisconsin

Weather.com:

Colorado Springs, CO

Chattanooga, TN

Viera, FL

Yawn.... Hader completely dominated again....what a waste. This is doing him no good. Mid as well go throw him in Helena.... Couldn't be much less challenged there. Either call him up or let him learn to deal with adversity in Colorado Springs. He is to the point where this is just a joke outside of innings pitched.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Yawn.... Hader completely dominated again....what a waste. This is doing him no good. Mid as well go throw him in Helena.... Couldn't be much less challenged there. Either call him up or let him learn to deal with adversity in Colorado Springs. He is to the point where this is just a joke outside of innings pitched.

Or you know...just let him pitch at AA and wait till next year when he is called up. Why mess with something that isn't broke. He isn't getting called up and sending him to Colorado would just do damage.

Or you know...just let him pitch at AA and wait till next year when he is called up. Why mess with something that isn't broke. He isn't getting called up and sending him to Colorado would just do damage.

Careers are short. He's capable of starting in the major leagues now. It's not like he's being blocked. He needs to learn if there is something he's getting away with against minor leaguers that won't work against big league hitters. Not only that but Brewers still need to sell tickets and create a buzz as they go through this process.

Careers are short. He's capable of starting in the major leagues now. It's not like he's being blocked. He needs to learn if there is something he's getting away with against minor leaguers that won't work against big league hitters. Not only that but Brewers still need to sell tickets and create a buzz as they go through this process.

They are doing just fine selling tickets and Josh Hader is not going to dramatically change that. They are ranked #16 in average attendance and that is pretty good for what we are trotting out there.

You can slice it any way you would like. Josh Hader is not coming to the MLB roster. Brewers have long term goals and they aren't going to ruin that to sell a few extra tickets.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I would hardly call Hader's season a "waste". There are a lot of things he can work on. For one, be more economical with his pitches. Brewers have traditionally made a bunch of promotions after the draft in June. We will see if the new regime follows the same protocol.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I have taught & coached long enough that in development, students & athletes need rigor. AA is not the goal, to advance & be successful they need to be challenged. They need to overcome adversity to. That is an extremely important. Learn to experience & overcome failure. Does Hader really need 2 unchallenged seasons in AA? He was good in 1st half for Houston last year in AA & lights out for Biloxi. He shouldn't have been placed in AA to begin with.... Been complaining since rosters were released. Why do we baby him but not Lopez?

Only time it is exceptable to allow a guy simply dominate without advancing is when he is doing it at the Highest level. I can tell you it is usually more damaging for multiple reasons to just let him waste away dominating lesser talent for a whole season..... For second year.

1) mental frustration..... Like in real life, how angry & frustrated are you when you are killing it and are refused a raise or promotion? Takes a toll. If I'm Hader I'm starting to wonder what I have left to prove! This is my 2nd full season in AA! What am I doing wrong. I have a kid right now struggling with this. He's killing it & would be very productive varsity guy on just about every other team but unfortunately he is blocked. It's hard for him (& parents) to accept why he won't get shot. To him, it feels like it's punishment or us coaches don't like him. He's a sophomore other guys are seniors. Have to keep talking him up for he can stay motivated

2. Can't adjust to failure. So frustrating and can't tell you how many athletes who are just so use to dominating I have had who struggle & don't bounce back well from failure. When you walk out and dominate constantly, you don't learn how to react or handle getting punched in the face. You never have adversity or get practice in how to respond. You can get shell shocked. Had an athlete who was great wrestler. Went like 48-1 ( the 1 lose was a forfeit due to bloody nose that wouldn't stop) he wrestled in a weaker conference & pinned everyone usually under a minute. He got to state & could get job done because he couldnt handle being tested and didn't know how to overcome & dig deep to earn a win. Took 3rd. All season he was never pushed or tested.... Same as Hader he's not tested at all, just going out dominating like was facing little league kids. How's he going to act when actually has to face hitters who match up to him? We won't know cause Brewers won't let him

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't know if promoting to Colorado Springs would be considered a reward.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't know if promoting to Colorado Springs would be considered a reward.

It's not a reward but it's a step up & a new challenge to face. The goal is for him to be an MLB pitcher can't baby him forever. I hate Colorado Springs as much as anyone for pitchers but seeing a guy perform the way he has in over 37 AA games & 29 starts..... Enough babying is enough. Let him tackle a new challenge and overcome. Or call him up. Yes he can still work on things but so can any pitcher at any level.

He had 5 AA games with 4 starts & 20 IP in 2014

24 Games 17 Starts and 104 IP in 2015

Now he has 40IP in 8 games & starts

164 IP 3.00 ERA 1.19 WHIP 195k

Time to stop pretending he is simply 8 games so far to AA. He's pretty much an experienced vet now at the level. I bet if you asked him, he'd like to advance.

I can see this team making a series of trades in July/August that open up spots for several young guys to get their feet wet. I'd like to see Hader in Milwaukee, but probably not for a few weeks. He's made some great strides. We also don't know what goals and objectives the Brewers have laid out for him. I do sort of agree with JohnBriggs. It's not all about arbitration clocks. Rather, we might as well get some use out of these guys while they're young. Let him make mistakes in the majors to see how he adapts. No rush, but eventually.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rain has caused the postponement of Monday's game between the Colorado Springs Sky Sox and the Salt Lake Bees. The game has been rescheduled as part of a double-header for Tuesday, May 17. The games will both be seven inning contests with the first game starting at 4:00 PM (5:00 Central).

LHP Sam Freeman was set to make his Sky Sox debut by starting Monday night. Likely was going to be a bullpen game.

Via Adam McCalvy: "Brewers aren't converting Freeman to a starter. This just gives him a more certain schedule as he resumes play."

Lookouts walk-off with 1-0 win in 10 innings over Shuckers

Josh Hader strikes out eight over six innings, lowering ERA to 0.89

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/7/9/6/178547796/cuts/22540450969_fa3dbeda1b_o_Jason_Clark_wk7emu54_0h2az3np.jpg

Josh Hader matched a season-high with eight strikeouts and leads the league with 54 punchouts.

Biloxi Boxscore

Well Josh Hader has made enough improvement to get through 6 in 3 of his last 4 outings, now it's time to work on pushing that up to 6+. I'll weigh in on the AAA thing, there's very little developmental advantage to skipping past Colorado. The strike zone tightens up a little bit again in AAA, plus there are far more professional hitters with MLB experience playing there. Hader's next stop should be AAA, maybe MLB hitters would chase his stuff they way they did Jungmann last year, but sooner or later teams are going to adjust if you aren't able to pound the zone. I would equate 6 innings in 85 pitches at AA to 5 innings in 100 pitches at MLB. Hader's 5 innings might be better than what we have, but what exactly is there to gain by pushing him to MLB this season? Promote him to AAA, and call him in up in Sept if he performs well, save his service time and force him to work on his efficiency all year, developing pitching is about patience.

If you aren't able to go 7 complete on a somewhat regular basis then you really aren't a #2, 1s and 2s should save the bullpen an inning or two most times out, not compound the problem.

The Shuckers had just 2 hits, but they were both doubles. I don't talk much about Garrett Cooper, but he's hitting .308 with an .858 OPS in 91 ABs, he's having a very nice start to the season.

Bilxoi Recap

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Community Moderator

Final: Bradenton 7, Brevard County 5

Manatees comeback thwarted by Bradenton homer

By Donald Rieber, Jr., Manatees Examiner

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/8a/d9/8ad97385bb26031a66c54b8fa145df09.JPG?itok=yjUaNX0G

Jose Cuas sacrifice bunt in the 8th inning (Brevard County Manatees - Tim Holle).

Brevard County Box Score

Jon Perrin had his shortest outing of the season finishing with only 4.0 innings allowing 6 hits, 4 runs, 4 walks, a hit batter, and striking out 3. As mentioned in the article he shook off being hit by a line drive on his non-throwing shoulder in the 2nd inning.

Zach Hirsch threw 3.0 scoreless, hitless innings.

The Manatees had four players with multi-hit games. As a team the Manatees collected 10 hits, all of them were singles. This has been a theme for the Manatees this season as they are second to last in the Florida State League in slugging (.297) which is more than .100 points behind the league leader (Tampa Yankees). Brevard County is last in the league in both doubles (33) and triples (5), and second to last in home runs (10). To put it in perspective the next lowest number of doubles is 42 (and that team has 13 triples) and the highest number of doubles in the FSL is exactly double their total (66).

Brevard County Game Log

The game story does a nice job outlining the details as the Manatees draw even in the 8th inning thanks to a 4-run rally only to fall victim to a two out, two run home run in the 9th inning.

As Donny noted in the article, George Iskenderian's injury from the weekend is being reported as a hamstring tweak and Kodi Medeiros was diagnosed with lower back tightness that was somewhat downplayed in the quotes provided by manager Joe Ayrault.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

VIDEO via WLOX: From the Biloxi game; you'll see nice defense on the Macias groundout; bad baserunning decision by McFarland on the ensuing ground ball...

Biloxi Top of the 3rd

Christopher McFarland doubles (3) on a ground ball to left fielder Travis Harrison.

Brandon Macias grounds out, shortstop Leonardo Reginatto to first baseman D. J. Hicks.

Rene Garcia reaches on a fielder's choice out, shortstop Leonardo Reginatto to third baseman T. J. White. Christopher McFarland out at 3rd.

With Brett Phillips batting, Rene Garcia caught stealing 2nd base, catcher Stuart Turner to shortstop Leonardo Reginatto.

I agree with TheCrew07 regarding Hader. While he is dominating AA pitching so far, he also has yet to go past 6IP. He also really hasn't stretched his arm out. He has made 8 starts and his low pitch count was 83 and his high pitch count was 89. In April he had trouble getting through 5IP but in May he has been more efficient and is getting through 6IP. Still at some point the Brewers will need to allow him to up his pitch count at least in the 90-100 range.

I am fine with the Brewers leaving him in AA until he gets at least a few starts that approach 100-105 pitches and then spend the second half of the season trying to figure out AAA/Colorado Springs.

As an aside I am looking forward to Josh pitching in the Futures Game this summer.

Archived