Brewer Fanatic

Wily Peralta: to the pen, to the minors, or something else?

Bombers

After having a 4.72 ERA last year and now a 7.3 so far this year, McCalvy is saying he might go to the pen or the minors. It is frustrating that he has performed below expectations. What does everyone think?

Let him continue on and work it out in the majors?

Send to minors?

Send to pen?

Something else?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall that Garza was transferred to the 60 day DL. Any news on when he might be ready for a rehab assignment??

Unless Chase and 'Free Willie' have gotten themselves straightened out (& effective) by then, Garza might be in line to fill one of those spots in the rotation...

Matt Played catch May 13, and he's scheduled to throw a bullpen session May 19.

As of now, his estimated return date is "possibly June."

Source

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I don't know what you do with him but he's pitching like trash. I don't see how getting irregular work out of the pen is going to help him. His biggest problem is command so I guess you tell him to go to Colorado Springs and just work on hitting spots, results be damned.

Problem is, who in AAA "deserves" to be in the Brewers rotation? Doesn't really matter to me at this point, just asking.

if you're only considering players on the 40-man roster, tyler cravy has been pitching well in colorado springs. his mlb performance this year, however . . .

Going to the minors won't fix him, he just can't miss bats anymore. He didn't miss all that many even when he was throwing 95+ consistently and now his velocity is down as well. Hitters are hitting a whopping 94.6% of the pitches he gets in the strike zone and it is heavily skewed towards hard contact as well.

Let him go to the pen and unload as hard as he can and see if that helps. Actually doing both might be the answer, put him in AAA and have him work as a RP and see if things improve. A lot of failed starters become good RP.

Burgos last 4 starts: 23 IP, 17 Hits, 5 ER, 13 BB, 20 K, 1.96 ERA. Not great, especially the walks, but he's been the steadiest at AAA. Personally, I'd skip Peralta's spot and then I'd get Hader up here as soon as he's past the super 2 threshold likely in a couple weeks. He's not developing facing overmatched AA hitters and he's the best arm in the entire system.

Yea, Burgos or Cravy could come up. Scary thing is, it's the middle of May. 4 1/2 months of baseball to play, and they will need at least 3 more starters at some point even if they make this change.

As for Peralta, I always wonder why they don't just shut a player down for a month. Just sending him down is always the reaction, but how about a mental break from the game. Go see a sports psychologist. Compare video from 2014 and today, see if anything in his mechanics different. Not sure if any or all of these things would make a difference, and no doubt they've already been doing some of this.

Finally, it seems the Cardinals always seem to figure these things out and get the best out of their pitchers. That bothers me.

While Gallardo was here complaints were easy about his overall innings per start. He'd struggle to go 6. Wily is struggling to go 5innings now. He needs demotion. Doesn't matter to me about who's brought up. Lost season. Give somebody young a shot to stick. Rotate them in to whoever can stick. Consider the Minors demotion a change of scenery for Wily. You give him 4-6 starts to show improvement/earn his return. If he's not earned it. Time to move him to Bullpen. Starting isn't for him. It's 8 games started now by him and just 1 quality start. 1/4 of way through season. No longer talking short sample.

Burgos last 4 starts: 23 IP, 17 Hits, 5 ER, 13 BB, 20 K, 1.96 ERA. Not great, especially the walks, but he's been the steadiest at AAA. Personally, I'd skip Peralta's spot and then I'd get Hader up here as soon as he's past the super 2 threshold likely in a couple weeks. He's not developing facing overmatched AA hitters and he's the best arm in the entire system.

As much as I want to see this as well, I just don't think it is in the plans of the Brewers this season. We might see him come September, maybe.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

As much as I want to see this as well, I just don't think it is in the plans of the Brewers this season. We might see him come September, maybe.

I think they may go the same route as they have gone with the bullpen, that low cost DFA pick up.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Hader has been struggling to get 5 IP per start. Something tells me he's not seeing Milwaukee until he gets his mechanics figured out a bit more and can throw 80-90 pitches and get into the 5th or 6th inning consistently.

Hader has been struggling to get 5 IP per start. Something tells me he's not seeing Milwaukee until he gets his mechanics figured out a bit more and can throw 80-90 pitches and get into the 5th or 6th inning consistently.

I think that's a bit overblown. He's gone 6 innings his past three starts in less than 90 pitches. That would be perfectly fine if he were able to do that in Milwaukee. With that said, I still don't think he should be brought up until September call-ups.

Problem is, who in AAA "deserves" to be in the Brewers rotation? Doesn't really matter to me at this point, just asking.

Well Dillard hit a homer this week. ;)

I think Dillard and Cravy have the highest OPS on the skysox team.

I think that's a bit overblown. He's gone 6 innings his past three starts in less than 90 pitches. That would be perfectly fine if he were able to do that in Milwaukee. With that said, I still don't think he should be brought up until September call-ups.

Overblown indeed. They are also keeping him on a very low pitch count, which is fine, but in some of those 4-5 inning pitched games, I am sure he could have went another inning, maybe two if needed. But with him, if they were to bring him up and keep him around 90 pitches, that is fine with me. Just pair up a long man with him and we are golden. I am one who just is sick of watching talented pitchers be wasted in the minor leagues. If the man can pitch in the majors, let him. Either way, find out.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived