Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Gomez upset by newspaper's use of quote

torts
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Here is what my brother (who has worked in newspapers for like 30 years) says about changing direct quotes:

"I tend not to make any changes whatsoever if I am going to direct quote someone.

There are people who think it's OK to "clean up" someone's grammar, for instance. I don't.

If someone says something that's kind of garbled, I rephrase it, don't put quotes around it. an indirect quote. as long as what you're saying they said is what they meant, then that's groovy."

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Here is what my brother (who has worked in newspapers for like 30 years) says about changing direct quotes:

"I tend not to make any changes whatsoever if I am going to direct quote someone.

There are people who think it's OK to "clean up" someone's grammar, for instance. I don't.

If someone says something that's kind of garbled, I rephrase it, don't put quotes around it. an indirect quote. as long as what you're saying they said is what they meant, then that's groovy."

So if I'm understanding that stance correctly, the author could/should have written something like:

"Gomez said that he understands the frustration of the fans regarding his performance since being acquired from Milwaukee last July."

Gruber Lawffices

For reference, here's the original quote.

For the last year and this year, I not really do much for this team. The fans be angry. They be disappointed.

I think this would have worked…

Gómez stated that he hasn't "really [done] much for the team" and that the fans are "angry" and "disappointed."

He's still being directly quoted, and the meaning hasn't changed. I don't think bracketing to change "do" to "done" is a big deal. It simply a different form of the same verb, and it makes the quote fit the overall sentence.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

You shouldn't put a statement in quotes if it is not what the person actually said without using something like brackets or "..." that clearly show that you are adding or subtracting something from the quote.

You can say what you believe a person means without using quotes, as the reader will (or at least should) understand that it is the reporter's interpretation of what was said (i.e. Gomez understands why fans are upset), whereas putting quotes around it means it is what was actually said, without editing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived