Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Jhan Mariñez from Tampa for cash; Kirkman DFA'd… Latest: Kirkman acceps minor league assignment

bork

Here's some detail.

Brewers acquire RHP Jhan Mariñez from Rays for cash

The 27-year-old Mariñez made six appearances for the Rays this season before being shipped to Milwaukee Thursday evening. Over the course of those six relief appearances, he amassed 3.2 innings of work while allowing two hits, one earned run and no walks against three strikeouts.

During his sporadic big league career, Mariñez made four appearances for the Florida Marlins in 2010 and another two for the Chicago White Sox in 2012. Making a total of nine major league appearances, all of which have been from the bullpen, he owns a career 2.45 ERA with seven strikeouts against five walks to accompany his 1-1 record.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Nice addition. Hard thrower. Was wild a few years ago, but was outstanding in AAA last year, and was off to a strong start this year. High K rate.

Hard to believe that the Rays didn't have room for this guy. Lucky for us.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

mariñez is out of minor league options and has been outrighted to the minor leagues before. if the brewers wish to send him to the minor leagues, he has the right to refuse the assignment and declare free agency.

The article says Kirkman to AAA Colorado Springs. Did the Padres just not wish to keep him? Doesn't Kirkman go through waivers again and someone might still pick him up? How did the Brewers get him if the Padres could just option him to AAA. Or is the article wrong in assuming?

The article says Kirkman to AAA Colorado Springs. Did the Padres just not wish to keep him? Doesn't Kirkman go through waivers again and someone might still pick him up? How did the Brewers get him if the Padres could just option him to AAA. Or is the article wrong in assuming?

the article is wrong in assuming, unless they already know that the brewers intend to stash him at aaa and that kirkman is wiling to accept the assignment.

when a player is designated for assignment, the club has ten days to trade, release or assign the player to the minor leagues. in the early part of these ten days, a club can put in a waiver claim and add him to their 40-man roster. but given that kirkman is out of minor league options, another club would have to also add him to their 25-man roster.

by the end of ten days, the brewers may decide they want to part ways entirely with kirkman, and they'll release him. or, they may decide they'd like to keep him at aaa, but kirkman has to agree to it, because he's already been outrighted to the minor leagues once before. or, another team may be willing to take a chance on him and acquire him for their major league roster via a trade.

mariñez was designated for assignment on 8 may by the rays. four days later, the brewers agreed to trade for him.

Sure would like to know how much cash was involved in the deal. Was it $1? $10,000? $100,000? $1,000,000?

Didn't far too well at AA and AAA.

Probably not much - maybe enough to cover the two weeks he was active on the Rays' 25-man roster? If that.

Edit: Well, after calculating it, 2 weeks on the 25-man roster might be around $50k (!!) in team expenses. I can't imagine the Brewers would have paid that much for a guy with no options left and no MLB track record.

I like the way Stearns is churning the bottom of the roster looking for talent. It may never amount to anything valuable, but the more players that run through that 25th spot, the more chances that they'll turn up one that is valuable. If they end up keeping the the Freemans and the Kirkmans (guys that get released) in AAA, all the better.

Edit: Well, after calculating it, 2 weeks on the 25-man roster might be around $50k (!!) in team expenses. I can't imagine the Brewers would have paid that much for a guy with no options left and no MLB track record.

don't waiver claims cost something? isn't it $20,000 (and thus $20,000 spent just to acquire kirkman)?

I like the way Stearns is churning the bottom of the roster looking for talent. It may never amount to anything valuable, but the more players that run through that 25th spot, the more chances that they'll turn up one that is valuable. If they end up keeping the the Freemans and the Kirkmans (guys that get released) in AAA, all the better.

I couldn't agree more. The more people we can get in here and keep, ya just never know.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Well I hope you evens the score for the time we gave them Balfour...not that the Seth McClung era wasn't great.

I wonder what Knebel, Nolin, and Jones are up to these days? Havent heard much outside of Knebel played catch a week ago or so.

the article is wrong in assuming, unless they already know that the brewers intend to stash him at aaa and that kirkman is wiling to accept the assignment.

when a player is designated for assignment, the club has ten days to trade, release or assign the player to the minor leagues. in the early part of these ten days, a club can put in a waiver claim and add him to their 40-man roster. but given that kirkman is out of minor league options, another club would have to also add him to their 25-man roster.

by the end of ten days, the brewers may decide they want to part ways entirely with kirkman, and they'll release him. or, they may decide they'd like to keep him at aaa, but kirkman has to agree to it, because he's already been outrighted to the minor leagues once before. or, another team may be willing to take a chance on him and acquire him for their major league roster via a trade.

mariñez was designated for assignment on 8 may by the rays. four days later, the brewers agreed to trade for him.

Thanks.

Sure would like to know how much cash was involved in the deal. Was it $1? $10,000? $100,000? $1,000,000?

Didn't far well? Jhan had a 1.92 ERA with a 1.09 WHIP and more KS than innings pitched last year. You won't find many better than that. Late bloomer, but that's common among late relievers.

I'll predict he'll pass up Thornburg within a month. Very solid addition. Well done Stearns.

If it was Melvin, we'd have a bunch of relievers locked into muti-year deal and zero flexibility to do a deal like this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Didn't far well? Jhan had a 1.92 ERA with a 1.09 WHIP and more KS than innings pitched last year. You won't find many better than that. Late bloomer, but that's common among late relievers.

I'll predict he'll pass up Thornburg within a month. Very solid addition. Well done Stearns.

If it was Melvin, we'd have a bunch of relievers locked into muti-year deal and zero flexibility to do a deal like this.

2013 and 2014 numbers were horrible. One good year, yes. We have guys at AAA that have as good of numbers as Martinez that should of been brought up first. Currently Barnes has a lower era, k an inning and lower whip.

kirkman has until friday to accept the minor league assignment. apparently, the brewers are hoping he does.

• 2 weeks later...

2013 and 2014 numbers were horrible. One good year, yes. We have guys at AAA that have as good of numbers as Martinez that should of been brought up first. Currently Barnes has a lower era, k an inning and lower whip.

So you'd rather rush up pitchers who've barely pitched at AAA than add another terrific arm to the organization? I like Barnes and Magnifico too, but just let them develop. They'll fit up here perfectly in August if we deal a reliever or 2 to some desperate contender at the deadline.

What's amazing to me is that the Brewers were able to land Marinez when the Reds could use 7 of him. Lucky for us that they were sleeping behind the wheel.

Archived